• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Five Steps to Better Fanservice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebv2406

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Finally an article that all those -english fluent- manga and anime writers can read -since they check this english language website every day- and get their fan service act thogeter!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
The To Love-Ru Darkness fan service extremes that actually push my level of enjoyment to it being just plain bored. I love fan service but recognize how boring and pointless it can get.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:

Also, western animation/comics don't do that because they still have repressed sexuality in the sense that westerners in general cannot allow themselves to feel the pleasure of stylized designs. Because if you think about it, some erotic manga character designs are almost "optimally" designed for maximum stimulation for the male brain.

Have you seen western comics lately? They're full of cheesecake & beefcake shots! And they're only getting more racy, with comics like Sex Criminals

You could also throw Sex (yes, there's a comic with that title), Howard Chaykin's Black Kiss 2, along with Chaykin's team up with Matt Fraction (writer of Sex Criminals) Satellite Sam.

Then, there's everyones' darling - Saga (personally, didn't enjoy that series).
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
ANN wrote:
but the idea of good taste is subjective enough to fuel a lifetime of debates

This made my morning... Yeah, not enough anime fans know this, sadly.

I totally agree. As the old saying goes, "One man's trash is another man's treasure," and vice versa. I love my filthy and trashy T&A fanservice titles. DxD, Rosario + Vampire, UFO Valkyrie, To Luv Ru, Samurai Bride/Girl, QB, Ikki Tousen, etc. I am not deluded though, I know many will find them to be trashy or not understand why I like them so I expect it and just take it in stride. I also acknowledge I might like 1 fanservice show but not like another, and someone could feel the same about a show I like that they dislike. Example, I enjoy High School DxD and Testament of Sister New Devil but not Triage X. Someone might like Triage X but not like DxD.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Najica Blitz Tactics Now there was pointless fanservice.

That was the whole point of the show. To be the panty shot king as it were. Right after Agent Aika. I mean hell the Najica box set came with a pair of panties in it. You can't get much more honest about what the show is about than that.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Masamune Shirow corrupted me a long time ago. Great artwork can be addicting, and make you more accepting of fanservice and other stuff that people argue about all the time.

There is no excuse for crappy artwork in fanservice, and it can be quite the turn-off. I also agree that unrealistic or extreme proportions are not that attractive either.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Also realistic boob sizes please unless it's meant to be that way in an over the top manner (Senran Kagura, Valkyrie Drive granted they are better as video games since you get to interact with the girls and touch them not to mention the writing is better).

As I much I like me some Senran Kagura I can't deny the game's have a problem with it comes to certain things like the writing

"Let's have this dramatic or funny scene between two or more characters occur on a static screen.......with spoken dialog and text only.
solosorca

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
For me, fanservice isn't about sudden shots of body parts, but about characters relationships with each other. I mean, I'm a mostly heterosexual woman, so boob shots don't do anything for me, but neither do the stripping scenes in Free! or the stomach shots in Prince of Tennis.

The most erotic thing I've seen in anime recently (that actually made my heart beat faster) was all the interaction between Kumiko and Kousaka in Sound Euphonium spoiler[especially when Kousaka ran her finger over Kumiko's nose and lips, man that was hot!]. Heck, I found the soft looks between Makoto and Haru in Free! far more erotic than any of the clothes coming off.

I have no problem with people finding boob shows etc hot, I just don't find animated characters to be attractive in that way.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
This is as good an opportunity as any to bring up my all-time anime guilty pleasure: Heaven’s Lost Property.

Truth be told, my reaction to this show is schizophrenic at best. Despite Tomoki’s hyperactive libido and the perverse things it makes him do, this show can still be lots of fun, if taken with the right attitude and a willingness to let the more tasteless elements slide…like, um, Tomoki’s hyperactive libido…

But when I really pay attention to the Angeloids, their words and feelings and expressions, my deepest reaction is one of abject pity for the lot of them—and that includes Chaos and the Harpies. To be given feelings—and then be turned over to the likes of the Master of Synapse—makes me want to dope slap Daedalus something fierce, and the only thing that would stop me would be the knowledge that she's already aware of the terrible mistake she's made.

Basing my comments solely on the anime (I have no idea what the manga looks like), I feel as if the writers jettisoned most of Tomoki’s antics and focused on the Synapse narrative, there is a lot of potential for a taut, exciting show with a fair amount of real drama; the Angeloid of Clockwork feature film captures at least some of the promise I’m talking about. (Comments are welcome from anyone familiar with the manga.) And for the record: I actually like Tomoki, and love Greg Ayres' performance. Deep in his heart, he cares as much for the Angeloids as I hope many of the audience does.

As for the fanservice…some of it is well animated, and some is actually fun. But I’ll be honest: when I imagine the Angeloids at their most attractive, it’s when they’re not being displayed as something to blatantly ogle. Case in point: in season 1, episode 3, there’s a brief scene where Ikaros is wading ankle-deep in a brook, just watching the fish go by. She’s dressed casually in human attire, with no panty shots or exposed cleavage, and animated with a feminine grace that makes one think, “Now there’s a lovely girl…I just wish she’d smile.” Or when Nymph finally regains her wings; with her eyes closed and graced with an almost beatific smile, she becomes almost radiant, making Sohara murmur, "So beautiful..." To my mind, these are the sorts of scenes anime can do--and often does--so well.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

Mohawk52 wrote:
Najica Blitz Tactics Now there was pointless fanservice.

That was the whole point of the show. To be the panty shot king as it were. Right after Agent Aika. I mean hell the Najica box set came with a pair of panties in it. You can't get much more honest about what the show is about than that.
That's why it was just as pointless for me to watch it. Being a married man with a daughter, therefore seeing panties on cartoon characters just isn't going to float my boat. but then I'm not the target audience of Najica anyway like I said. Wink
Maur

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Excellent article. All valid points I've agreed with for years of being an ecchi fan. I like risque content, but I still would like for there to be an actual plot and characters in it otherwise it's dull and unfulfilling. Not all ecchi shows are created equal, some are just utterly lazy and bleh. Confused
BZ Choy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Have you seen western comics lately? They're full of cheesecake shots!

Thank god for superheroine comics!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
BZ Choy wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Have you seen western comics lately? They're full of cheesecake shots!

Thank god for superheroine comics!

I just read through some large Power Girl graphic novel, and the cheesecake was there but very tame. About as risque as the Dirty Pair from 85, nothing to write home about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7