• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Did So Many OVA Series End Prematurely?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I miss the OVA days, when there was the same volume of crap, only it averaged 50 minutes instead of four hours.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I've seen/checked out a fair number of these OVAs and most of them blur together. Cyberpunk setting, same city, dark blue generic looking buildings...

There certainly were a few Cyberpunk OVAs from that time but that's only a small slice of the pie. I am a fan of that genre and I can only name 7 OVAs between the 80's and mid-90's that I would call "cyberpunk":
-Bubblegum Crisis (+ its spinoffs AD Police and Bubblegum Crash)
-Cyber City Oedo
-Angel Cop
-Appleseed
-Battle Angel
Perhaps there are a handful more that I missed or are debatable as to whether or not they are "cyberpunk"....but out of the hundreds of OVAs made that's a small drop in the bucket.

By the way, if anyone remembers anything they consider to be an old-school cyberpunk OVA please let me know and thanks in advance.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
My Favorite 90's OVA were the Cyber Formula. While more mature and edgier in tone (especially the SAGA and SIN ones). They have one of the best things in music.

I miss the OVA format too. Albeit in the Classic way.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
By the way, if anyone remembers anything they consider to be an old-school cyberpunk OVA please let me know and thanks in advance.

There's certainly:
Tank Police
Black Magic M66
I'd say Genesis Survivor Gairarth and Iria are debatable, but in a similar vein to Battle Angel.

I'm sure there are more that I can't remember offhand

EDIT: OH, and of course: "Arimtage III"
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
I recall the hardcore OVA Legend of the Blue Wolves had a note before the credits explaining that the production company that worked on it ended up declaring bankruptcy, which is why it was left on a cliffhanger.

Oh man, this one and Ai no kusabi were great OVAs from an animation standpoint. It's a tragedy it had to be yaoi material.
Especially Blue Wolves, it was like a hardcore mecha series. Earthers fighting an instoppable enemey from the outer solar system.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I've seen/checked out a fair number of these OVAs and most of them blur together. Cyberpunk setting, same city, dark blue generic looking buildings...

There certainly were a few Cyberpunk OVAs from that time but that's only a small slice of the pie. I am a fan of that genre and I can only name 7 OVAs between the 80's and mid-90's that I would call "cyberpunk":
-Bubblegum Crisis (+ its spinoffs AD Police and Bubblegum Crash)
-Cyber City Oedo
-Angel Cop
-Appleseed
-Battle Angel
Perhaps there are a handful more that I missed or are debatable as to whether or not they are "cyberpunk"....but out of the hundreds of OVAs made that's a small drop in the bucket..

Well there were quite a few that weren't Cyberpunk, but they had the same setting like Psychic Wars and Demon City Shinjuku. The earlier days of the OVA boom had some of the best titles, say mid to late 80s.

Actual there was this one title, I can't remember the name, and it never came over to the west, but it was sort of like the founding father to this sort of style and theme, all I can remember is this couple went to a cinema and afterwords some monster or demon attacked the city (sorry I saw it a few years ago), I think it came out in 85 or 86.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I think the best, or at least the most productive of anime companies what pumped out quite a collection of OVAs was AIC If one looks at their back catalogue it highlights so many of the titles mentioned here and several more not mentioned here. Sadly they don't seem to have kept their creative finger in the anime pie since 2012 like they did back when. I think many OVAs were also pilots to see what would spark a big enough fire of fans to invest more money into and it really was one of the best formats for the VCR and early DVD age, but I also feel it could just as well run on streaming services too if given the chance.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
So, on average, OVA series got a budget higher than a TV series, but lower than a movie? Seems a bit odd, considering that TV show ran for at least a cour (so ±12 episodes), while most OVA series that I know of had a runtime of about ±40 minutes (or 2 TV episodes), and they were pretty much depended on rentals, whilst TV shows had peripheral sources (toys, commercials, etc).
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
So, on average, OVA series got a budget higher than a TV series, but lower than a movie? Seems a bit odd, considering that TV show ran for at least a cour (so ±12 episodes), while most OVA series that I know of had a runtime of about ±40 minutes (or 2 TV episodes), and they were pretty much depended on rentals, whilst TV shows had peripheral sources (toys, commercials, etc).

Yes, that's correct, assuming we're talking about per runtime budget. (Obviously the total budget of a 26 episode series would be greater than a few OVA episodes.) In the age of the widespread OVA that we're talking about, almost all anime TV series were at least two cour, and almost all of them were aired during normal TV watching hours, not late after midnight. The production was lower quality partially because many of them did not live off of home video sales, yet they faced the same kind of time and budget pressures as TV series today. (There was less fixing things up for the home video release than today; though there were some notable "less censored" versions, you didn't have the kind of fixing slapdash animation.) OVAs were overall a premium product with a premium price and budget. They also didn't release until they were done, as seen by efforts like Giant Robo.

Modern late night one cour TV series have essentially replaced the OVA; most of them are basically infomercials for an OVA product, by the old standards. A lot of them are "try one cour, then a sequel if it sells well" too.

The equivalent of old time TV series are those series that broadcast during normal waking hours today (which includes NHK productions like Log Horizon or Ultimate Otaku Teacher as well as weekend productions like Saturday morning Shonen Jump, the latest Mitsuri Adachi work like Cross Game, or long running standbys like Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan or Meitantei Conan.) *Nothing* pulls in the ratings like the TV shows of the time did; the much diminished Sazae-san and Detective Conan ratings of today are much lower than things like Yawara-chan and Ranma 1/2 pulled. Ordinary Japanese people recognize shows like that, or Touch, or Kimagure Orange Road, etc. in a way that late night shows tend to draw a blank. (Attack on Titan being an exception.)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
rizuchan wrote:
So what is the fondness for OVAs? Nostalgia, because that was the only anime you could really get at the time? Or is there some legitimately good stuff out there?

I think the fondness comes from (good) OVAs having more length than say a movie (or, in some cases like "Battle Angel" and "Dragon Half", the feeling that they COULD (or should) have more length) but still being more "compact" than a TV series. (in the DVD age, you could give an entire set of OVAs (in most cases) to someone on a single DVD)

-Oh My Goddess (original 5 OVA set)

Although Dragon Half had only a "test run" from its comics, there wasn't much more to do, as the manga artist had a run-in with jail time, and by the time he was out, the comic publisher had moved on. Ah, what could have been. Sad
(Although they do slip in a fourth-wall joke about one character's manga plotline being completely removed from the OVA, giving him no reason to be on the show.)

Also, for years, there was the fan frustration that the original Oh My Goddess OVA couldn't be done as a series, because the detailed animation couldn't fit to a TV schedule.
Eventually, we did get two or three series taken straight from the comics with distinctly inferior animation, where they didn't have to worry about Urd and Beldandi's hair, and, well...it just wasn't quite the same.

Not sure whether Elf Princess Rane was simply a case of the director moving on, but the two-ep. Shines man OVA was very definitely a flop at home, in its original Japanese.
Whereas with the dub, it was another story, literally and figuratively. Cool
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Bubblegum Crisis was supposed to run 13 episodes, but was canceled after 8, mostly due to rights issues. It did eventually get revived as the 3-episode Bubblegum Crash, which is supposedly an abridged version of the planned ending to the original Crisis. However, it was confusing, it had inconsistencies and it raised more questions than it answered. There's also a 3-episode prequel called A.D. Police Files, which is more standalone, and not tied to the main plot. Then it got rebooted a decade later as a 26-episode TV series that told a complete story (and had it's own spinoffs), but even that was supposed to get a second season, and didn't.

Megazone 23 wasn't supposed to get a sequel, but it was so successful, it got three additional episodes. Of course Tenchi Muyo spawned a whole giant franchise.

I wish we had something like this today, where anime is only made for home video/streaming with self-contained stories, and no worries with sponsorship/merchandise.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some OVA series came out quarterly, some came out monthly, and some had years go by in between episodes.

I think Giant Robo has got to be the poster child for waiting for the last episode to come out. Two and a half years! I am truly envious of those who are discovering it for the first time on dvd, without the agonizing wait for that final episode.

Meanwhile, most of the Macross stuff (after the original series and DYRL) was OVA. Macross II, Macross Plus and Macross Zero were all released as OVA's and are actually worth your valuable time, especially the latter two.

Macross Plus, IIRC, was supposed to be five episodes, but was shortened to four, possibly for budgetary reasons.

I have fond remembrances of Gall Force. If you can find it, many of the standard tropes of later anime (such as laser beams firing at 90 degree angles) originated in Gall Force.
Sharkacon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Awesome article.

I didn't get into anime until just a few years ago, so I've always wondered what the deal was with OVAs. They've always seemed like webisodes to me, but dating back to before that was even a thing.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
3x3 eyes
alita

etc..

let's hope Ushio to tora did well so we can get more of these ova coming back

also i heard psyren is a good manga series. it is completed as well but no anime version for it?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
*cries about Princess Rouge

I WANT TO KNOW THE ENDING!!!

Once did a search on the "original story creator Aoi Takeuchi".

Couldn't find crap......Anime cry I'm quite bitter about Elf Princess Rane and Shinesman as well; though at least the latter has a manga....still, it was the dub cast and witty script that made the OVA a solid hour of comedy gold.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5