• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Did So Many OVA Series End Prematurely?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
This isn't just a 90s phenomenon; it extended into the early 00s as well. Like with the anime-original 2002 OVA Cosplay Complex, which left a ton of story hooks and foreshadowing for episodes beyond its 3-disc run. In fact, with the way it just drops the viewer into the story with little in the way of character introductions, it feels like Cosplay Complex's existing episodes should've been episodes 4-6 of a 12-episode series or something.

Or also from Wonderfarm Productions, there's the one-episode Hand Maid Mai (2003). Supposedly its second and third episodes were actually animated, but somebody in the distribution chain went bankrupt, and the episodes got stuck in eternal legal limbo.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
You could also argue for h-anime that needed sequels and never got them, since they too are OVAs. Front Innocent, Angel Blade Punish, and Soreyuke Marin-chan are immediate examples that stay fresh in the mind because they basically left off with a ton of story left to tell and ideas yet to be explored. Front Innocent especially because it even previewed the next episode that never happened during the credits. Angel Blade Punish showcased another facet of the villain at the very end that left me desperately wanting to see more of her in the future. This happens incredibly frequently in hentai, so the list you could come up with is virtually endless as very few plot-oriented hentai reach any kind of real conclusion, which is why I like that normal latenight TV anime have gotten so raunchy over the last few years, to make up for the lack of what h-anime provides in terms of episode count.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:
In other words, Yuri is in a better position than Yaoi is. Hell, some Yuri is critically acclaimed (i.g. Aoi Hana/Sweet Blue Flowers).

I don't know about better position... there is certainly a LOT more yaoi made than yuri. Yuri isn't as popular amongst straight men as yaoi is amongst straight women. I'd say yuri has the quality and yaoi has the quantity. There are plenty of yuri as you mentioned that deal with the subject respectfully without the fetish element. Sailor Moon, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Sweet Blue Flowers, Bodacious Space Pirates, Yuri Kuma Arashi, and Sasameki Koto are a few but there are others. However due to the large yaoi fanbase I feel like yaoi's always going to be a more popular, even if there are some women (myself included) that enjoy both yuri and yaoi.

Hellsoldier wrote:
Nowadays, over 80% of Japanese between 18-30 are supportive of the acceptance of Homosexuality and Bisexuality. From 30-50, I think it's around 52% or something, not sure. More females than males, usually... I guess Anime did a good job here Wink

I don't know if anime can really take credit for this, esp. given that otaku of both genders are a minority of the population. Women have historically been more accepting of homosexuality when compared to men in the same age group and the same nationality. Sources here at the bottom of the page, and here towards the middle (ctrl+f search for gender) I hear the common theories on why is that feminism and gay rights go hand in hand. I think maybe it's because as we grow up we're told its totally normal to be affectionate with our same sex friends. We can hold hands, hug a lot and even sleep in the same bed and no one really cares much. Guys on the other hand seem to get discouraged from these things by their family or peers. Guys too I used to notice too often threw around homobophic slurs as an insult more often. So maybe earlier on their brains associate homosexuality as being abnormal or 'other'.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic but if anyone wants a good yuri OVA there's always Fight! Iczer One! lol I suppose maybe yaoi/yuri was more confined to OAVs because it was seen as controversial back then. Now we have yuri and yaoi tv series all over the place.

Well, that's true. Anime fandom has always been minoritary, even in its homeland. And feminism and the LGBT rights movement have a long-standing connection... even if there are minoritary factions that have a certain amount of friction in between. Hell, there's even friction within the LGBT rights movement... But that's another story.

It is true that guys tend to be more homophobic, most likely for the reasons you mentioned. I know this by experience. I was 12-13 and I already had a pro-LGBT stance... back in the day where it wasn't a popular stance (2005-2006, in Portugal. But it wasn't until later on that I was more vocal about it. I could talk to girls more easily about the topic, although I joined a leftist cluster in 10th grade, and many guys were okay with it too. A for Japan it had the whole Class S thing going on.

I have commited a crime by not mentioning the holy Revolutionary Girl Utena. 39 episodes devoured in 5 days. The film on the 6th. I loved it. How could I forget to mention? - Take My Revolution

Well, thank you for the OVA suggestion (more Yuri for me Wink ). Always searching for more stuff to watch. Incidently, I know an (shoujo) Yuri series of back then: ''Oniisama e...''. It was a TV series. I still need to finish it. Plot is kinda crazy.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:34 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Take My Revolution

Hehe, it was good to hear Masami Okui sing Rinbu Revolution at Animax Musix 2014, but I'd love to hear the Adolescence Rush mix performed live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYsiNdqYiSY
CR85747

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:54 am Reply with quote
4 pages and no love for the original Patlabor OVA? Come on!

The TV series follow up The New Files is good too, but skip the first four episodes unless you've seen the show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
Patlabor didn't end prematurely at all, in fact episode 7 was an add-on due to its popularity and to get more buzz going before the movie came out. New Files aren't even in the same continuity as the OVAs and films, and TV series started only a few months after movie 1, and the TV series is actually good so it's not a case like what happened with Bubblegum Crisis, Record of Lodoss War, Silent Mobius, or other late 80s/early 90s properties that got TV series in the second half of the 90s. Patlabor by comparison did just fine.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

In my book, those are very open-ended ways to sign-off a show. It felt to me like the producers were counting on the OVAs bringing in good revenue, but when that didn't come to fruition, they pulled the plug. I don't know how the OVAs fared in Japan, but they gave me that feeling.

Agreed about both of them being open-ended, that's for sure.

As for the financial success of the shows, I'm not sure. 3x3 eyes was a massively popular manga that ran for many years. The original OVA came out in '91-92. The second OVA didn't come out until '96 if I remember correctly. At first that smacks of budget problems, but during this time there was a lot of 3x3 eyes merch available that couldn't have been cheap to produce. There were many audio & drama CDs and a couple video games. When the 2nd OVA did get produced it had longer episodes & much higher quality animation. So I would imagine that money was not the issue at least up until that point. (Not to mention that the creator had a lot of clout thanks to his other popular series around that time--Cat Girl Nuku Nuku and Blue Seed)

I have no idea if this is true or not but there were rumors floating around some fan sites in the early 2000's that they were considering a TV series for it, but the series creator Yuzo Takada would not allow it because of the censorship that would be imposed on a TV anime.
timber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I've seen/checked out a fair number of these OVAs and most of them blur together. Cyberpunk setting, same city, dark blue generic looking buildings...

There certainly were a few Cyberpunk OVAs from that time but that's only a small slice of the pie. I am a fan of that genre and I can only name 7 OVAs between the 80's and mid-90's that I would call "cyberpunk":
-Bubblegum Crisis (+ its spinoffs AD Police and Bubblegum Crash)
-Cyber City Oedo
-Angel Cop
-Appleseed
-Battle Angel
Perhaps there are a handful more that I missed or are debatable as to whether or not they are "cyberpunk"....but out of the hundreds of OVAs made that's a small drop in the bucket.

By the way, if anyone remembers anything they consider to be an old-school cyberpunk OVA please let me know and thanks in advance.

In the cyberpunk genre, I would also add:
- Armittage III

Other OAVs I quite like:
- Angel Densetsu
- Black Magic M66
- Freedom
- Gall force
- Gunbuster
- Homeroom Affairs
- Hotori : Tada Saiwai wo Koinegau
- Locke the Superman
- Macross Plus
- Pale Cocoon
- Plastic Little
- Project Blue Earth SOS
- Shinigami no Ballad
- They were 11
- TO
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
timber wrote:

In the cyberpunk genre, I would also add:
- Armittage III

Other OAVs I quite like:
- Angel Densetsu
- Black Magic M66
- Freedom
- Gall force
- Gunbuster
- Homeroom Affairs
- Hotori : Tada Saiwai wo Koinegau
- Locke the Superman
- Macross Plus
- Pale Cocoon
- Plastic Little
- Project Blue Earth SOS
- Shinigami no Ballad
- They were 11
- TO

Gotta add Genocyber and MD Geist on that list too. Someone mentioned those earlier.

I have to admit, I used to regard the OVA era in a very biased positive light, but after taking off the goggles and sifting through the ones in my backlog, my god, there was a LOT of crap. Aside from the inconclusiveness, I had to vouch that they aped a lot from famous titles like Blade Runner, 1984, Top Gun, Star Wars etc. which were very popular during that time. I would say a lot of the OVA's during the 80's and early 90's fell under three categories: Space Opera, Cyberpunk and Post-Apocalyptic. After that, there was more of a preference toward D&D style fantasy series with Lodoss in the helm. So I guess this is just a preference thing. Won't jump into the mindset that "it's old, then it must be good!"

Animation quality is perhaps the only thing that trumps traditional OVA's from the TV anime. The Gundam OVA's come up to mind as pinnacles of how visually stunning anime can be. Then again, this is Sunrise we're talking about. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Paiprince on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone remember My Dear Marie? That was the first OVA I ever bought! I was going to buy Devil Hunter Youko but it looked a little too risque and I had only turned 14 or 15. Anime hyper

And MDM had a great dub for its time. The script and actors were very funny!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
^
Oh, yes, My Dear Marie...I watched that OVA months earlier. I had a blast watching it. I found the voices of Robot Marie and the actual Marie were very pleasant-sounding. Anime smile
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
timber wrote:
Other OAVs I quite like:

- Hotori : Tada Saiwai wo Koinegau -- TV special, not OVA.
- Locke the Superman -- Movie, not OVA, though there are some Locke the Superman OVAs like Lord Leon, Mirror Ring, and New World Battle Team.
- Shinigami no Ballad -- TV series, albeit a 6-episode one.
- They were 11 -- Movie.

chiibi wrote:
Does anyone remember My Dear Marie? That was the first OVA I ever bought! I was going to buy Devil Hunter Youko but it looked a little too risque and I had only turned 14 or 15. Anime hyper

And MDM had a great dub for its time. The script and actors were very funny!
I watched a downloaded version years ago and don't remember too much about it, though I did recently buy it on DVD in a double\-pack with the aforementioned Cosplay Complex. And with the dub being made at ADV's Monster Island studio, I'm not surprised to hear that they punched up the humor in the script, as also seen with Dai-Guard, Eden's Bowy, Happy Lesson, and others.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You could also argue for h-anime that needed sequels and never got them, since they too are OVAs. Front Innocent, Angel Blade Punish, and Soreyuke Marin-chan are immediate examples that stay fresh in the mind because they basically left off with a ton of story left to tell and ideas yet to be explored. Front Innocent especially because it even previewed the next episode that never happened during the credits. Angel Blade Punish showcased another facet of the villain at the very end that left me desperately wanting to see more of her in the future. This happens incredibly frequently in hentai, so the list you could come up with is virtually endless as very few plot-oriented hentai reach any kind of real conclusion, which is why I like that normal latenight TV anime have gotten so raunchy over the last few years, to make up for the lack of what h-anime provides in terms of episode count.

I agree on this a lot I've seen my fair share of Hentai that just ends abruptly after one or two episodes Crimson Girls and Please Rape Me being two such examples.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
I have to admit, I used to regard the OVA era in a very biased positive light, but after taking off the goggles and sifting through the ones in my backlog, my god, there was a LOT of crap.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the OVA era was always good. Like any sort of anime (or media in general) there's always a variety ranging from great to crap.

What I think is special about the OVA era is the sheer volume of anime that was made at that time. Like the original article said there were many new directors given the chance to make new titles that otherwise would never have the chance to see the light of day. Given the sheer number of niches involved there's something for everyone.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
[quote="BadNewsBlues"]
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I agree on this a lot I've seen my fair share of Hentai that just ends abruptly after one or two episodes Crimson Girls and Please Rape Me being two such examples. Another thing I hate is the uneven pace/focus of some of the sex scenes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5