• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akane Analyzes (Spoilerific).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Hi, Akane! How's life treating you?

Better than it was in the last few months. I just wanted to tell you all that I have made my glorious return after being on hiatus this past month.

Hooray! Given your recent situation, feel free to take all the time you need before you launch yourself into releasing new content.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Final Thoughts on Ouran High School Host Club

On the final episode of The Young, the Rich, and the Air-Headed:

It looks like the Host Club is about to meet it’s end, as Tamaki announces the dissolution of the group, as well as his engagement to Eclair. Furthermore, Haruhi is told by Kyoya that her debt has been cleared and that she is free to go. None of the hosts are happy to see Tamaki go, but they’re even more distressed when they find out why he chose to leave. Not only did their club president feel like a burden on his friends, but he wanted to see his mother in France. The hosts decide then and there to chase after Tamaki and convince him to go back. Obstacle after obstacle impedes the group, until only Haruhi remains to pursue Tamaki and Eclair’s limo. Fortunately, all it takes to persuade Tamaki into returning is a speech from Haruhi over how much she and his friends love being hosts. The two go back to Ouran, leaving a heartbroken Eclair to return to France and to Tamaki’s mother. And so Haruhi and her fellow hosts live happily ever after. The End.

It’s strange what sorts of new things you discover when you rewatch something you love years later. Between your first and second viewings, you gain a different perspective based on numerous factors that changed during that period of time. In my case, I graduated high school, moved back to the States, and got a minimum wage job with a training program for special needs young adults, all while my mental health began to plummet. What I’m saying is that a lot has changed since we began this journey. One thing, however, has stayed the same: Ouran Host Club is still a very special and very good tv show.

Admittedly, I don’t think I should have recapped this when I did. I’ve learned that twenty-six episodes are simply too much for me to do on my own (this is the primary reason why I’m doing the twelve-episode long Haibane Renmei next). It took over a year for me to finish this behemoth, and I don’t want to make this mistake again. That doesn’t mean I have regrets; why would I, if it meant I got to watch something that brought me joy? However, I will be a bit more careful with future anime selections.

That said, I’m going to be doing something different this time. My final thoughts will mostly be about my experiences with Ouran rather than getting into the nitty gritty. So if any of you wanted a summary of the show like I did with Sword Art Online, you’re going to be very disappointed. Let’s go.

The Story

There’s not really much of an overarching plot, this being an episodic comedy and all. Instead, I’d like to talk about the themes that consistently popped up over the course of the series. I once wrote an article about Ouran’s message of the importance of having a family. It’s still there, and it tends to pop up in the least expected places (e.g., the Nekozawa episode). Rarely in most shows do you see an exploration of the “family of choice,” and I appreciate this one for that.

Hell, I appreciate the show for its love letter to shoujo manga. Much of the comedy in Ouran lampoons the tropes popularized by shoujo classics such as Boys Over Flowers (which I personally despised, but that is beside the point) and Fushigi Yuugi (which one of my friends despised, but again, beside the point). Haruhi isn’t your average swooning shoujo heroine, Tamaki is a total ditz, and Kyoya is keenly aware of what makes the ladies keep coming back. Yet in spite of the occasional jab to conventions, the people working on this clearly love shoujo.

The story may have been created by Bisco Hatori, but I cannot credit Youji Enokido enough for making Ouran’s anime adaptation unique. For those who don’t know, Enokido worked on critically acclaimed anime such as Neon Genesis Evangelion and Revolutionary Girl Utena, as well as being the head writer of FLCL. In hindsight, it’s very obvious that elements such as Eclair Tonnerre’s existence were trademarks of his work. It’s a shame he hasn’t had much success recently, and I would like to see more of his anime. I guess I’m going to have to add RahXephon and the aforementioned Utena to my anime bucket list now.

The Characters

Throughout both viewings, my favorite host continues to be the one and only Tamaki Suoh. This shouldn’t be surprising to anyone who knows me, but what is surprising is how I felt about the other characters. Of course Tamaki takes the number one spot for both his kindness and the tragedy behind his family life, but unlike last time, Hikaru and Kaoru tie for the number two spot. Rewatching this, I found a new depth to the Hitachiin’s character arc that I hadn’t seen before. Next comes Honey and Mori, the resident moe couplet whom I shall ship forever and ever, and sadly for Kyoya, he ranks last.

As for Haruhi herself, there really aren’t any protagonists like her in shoujo. Unlike most stereotypical heroines of the genre, she’s not energetic or clumsy, or even that particularly feminine. Instead, she’s a breath of fresh air for her bluntness and determination in the face of adversity. Haruhi Fujioka is a delight to watch, and I wish to see more characters like her.

In regards to the supporting cast, almost all are perfectly wacky and memorable. Who could forget such characters as Ryoji “Ranka” Fujioka, or the Nekozawa siblings, or even the arguably straw-feminist group, the Zuka Club? None of them overstay their welcome, not even otaku-surrogate Renge. Overall, the characters of Ouran Host Club were fun to watch and highly memorable.

The Technicals

Animation-wise, I will admit that it’s quite obvious that Ouran was made ten years ago. There’s something about the animation quality that screams “mid-2000s.” That doesn’t mean that this is an ugly anime; on the contrary, the character designs are appealing and the direction impeccable. Credit for the latter goes to Takuya Igarashi, who would go on to helm Soul Eater and Bungou Stray Dogs. I should note all three anime were produced at the ever-stellar Studio Bones.

The music of Ouran doesn’t have many standouts, with a few exceptions. One of these is “Tango Brilliante,” a catchy piece that evokes fanciful visions of ballrooms and handsome boys. Then there are the opening and closing themes, at least in the Japanese version. “Sakura Kiss” and “Shishou” are both ear worms that will never ever ever leave your head. The English versions...not so much.

The dub by Funimation is a classic one, with stellar performances across the board. I’d like to give props to Caitlin Glass, who both played the role of Haruhi and directed the ADR. I also can’t go on without mentioning Vic Mignogna, J. Michael Tatum, Todd Haberkorn, Greg Ayres, Luci Christian, and Travis Willingham, who played the various hosts with plenty of charm and lovability. Overall, I highly recommend this dub. I can’t comment on the original Japanese cast, but considering that the very talented Maaya Sakamoto and Mamoru Miyano are headliners, I think that should say something.

Top Ten Favorite Episodes

Before we go, I’d like to present my top episodes of Ouran High School Host Club. Keep in mind that your favorite might not show up on this list. I have mine, and you have yours. This is just one viewer’s opinion, so try not to start a riot in the comments.

Honorable Mention- Episode Eight: “The Sun, the Sea, and the Host Club!”

The Merit Scene is what knocked this episode off the Top Ten. If it weren’t for those few minutes of Creepy Sex Stuff between Haruhi and Kyoya, it would have made it in. Aside from that, it’s a very fun episode, with a very heartwarming ending to almost make you forget what happened moments earlier.

10. Episode Thirteen: “Haruhi in Wonderland!”

For what’s spiritually a recap episode, this isn’t so bad. Although you can easily cut this from the overall lineup, “Haruhi in Wonderland!” is an amusingly silly romp that gives surprising insight into our heroine’s motivation for coming to Ouran Academy. Plus, I will admit that I am biased, since I’m in love with the original 1951 Disney Alice in Wonderland movie.

9. Episode Ninteen: “Lobelia Girls’ Academy Strikes Back!”

The Zuka Club girls may be controversial, but I found this episode side-splittingly funny. Surprisingly, even though the plot revolves around Haruhi being drafted into the Zuka Club's shenanigans, it's the boys of the host club who play the starring role. The cherry on top of this silly sundae is a specific callback all the way to the second episode. Also, “OH MY LORD FREDERICK.” That is all.

8. Episode Twenty-One: “Until the Day it Becomes a Pumpkin!”

Just in time for Halloween comes this darling special. It’s adorable, it’s funny, and it exudes that good ol’ Halloween spirit. Of course, that’s not even getting into the parts involving either of the Hitachiins, and that includes the rather sobering ending monologue delivered by Kaoru. Overall, I heartily recommend watching this during the spookiest time of the year (which, at the time of this post, would be right now.)

7. Episode Eleven: “Big Brother is a Prince!”

I’m sorry to have to say this, but neither of the Ritsu episodes are going to appear on this list. Now, I know what you’re probably thinking right now: “Akane, WHY!?” My answer is pretty simple, actually. I personally felt that this episode (which focused on Nekozawa and his kid sister) embodied the themes of the series much better than any other Client-of-the-Week episode. Additionally, it has some of the funniest jokes in the entire series. My favorite has to be when Renge puts poor Nekozawa through Prince Charming Boot Camp.

6. Episode Ten: “A Day in the Life of the Fujioka Family!”

Ah, yes, the episode introducing Haruhi’s Superdad. I chose this episode for much of the same reasons as Number 7, ranking it higher due to how utterly amazing Ranka is. Most of the best jokes in this episode involve his interactions with poor, poor Tamaki. No wonder everyone loves Ranka!

5. Episode Fourteen: “Covering the Famous Host Club!”

Now we’re starting to get into the meat of this show! This episode delves into themes that were introduced in Renge’s debut episode. In fact, as I mentioned in the recap, watching this is much harder once you realize just how bad Tamaki’s life is. That doesn’t stop the episode from being funny- far from it. There’s just something amusing about watching the pathetic Newspaper Club President try to tarnish the Host Club’s reputation to no avail.

4. Episode One: “Starting Today, You Are a Host!”

Of course the first episode has to be included here, lest I be torn to shreds. And why not? This is one of the best starts in the history of anime. It may not be quite up there with the Kill la Kill and Death Note first episodes, but this is perfect for the sort of series this is. Everything you need to know about this show is established effectively, finishing with one of the most famous first episode reveals.

3. Episodes Twenty-Five and Twenty-Six: “The Host Club Declares Dissolution!” and “This is Our Ouran Fair!”

There’s no way I could separate these episodes. I just couldn’t, seeing as this is one of the best endings I’ve seen in all my years of watching anime. I smiled, I cheered, and at one point, I was close to tears. It also has Eclair Tonnerre, who has a surprising amount of depth for a one-shot antagonist. I applaud the writers for not making her just another plot device for drama’s sake. It’s just a gem.

2. Episode Twenty: “The Door the Twins Opened!”

Coincidentally, my Number 2 pick features my second favorite characters. Hikaru and Kaoru Hitachiin have easily the best character arc among the cast (yes, even better than Tamaki). This episode shows how the twins became cold-hearted and anti-social, as well as how they eventually grew out of it. It’s a great episode, but it’s not quite as good as...

Episode Twenty-Four: “And So Kyoya Met Him!”

This episode is gold. It has on-point comedy, effective drama, and of course, essential development for the titular character. It’s funny how my least favorite host is in my favorite episode, but that’s just how good it is. J. Michael Tatum’s performance here is fantastic, proving that he could carry tension long before Steins;Gate was even a blip on the anime radar. I love this episode more than any other, if the fact that it’s Numero Uno isn’t obvious enough.

And with that, we close. Thank you all for sticking with me throughout this recap, and I’ll see you soon with Code Geass in November and Haibane Renmei in December.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote
I think I share your top pick, since Kyoya is my favorite character (I like Haruhi too). For the same reason I also like 25/26 because he knows how to execute a good ice burn, while making you respect him for it, and I also like episode 8, because even though he resorted to creepy to make his point (a point I wasn't quite on board with in the first place), I totally loved her reaction to his charade. Episode 10 has my overall favorite scene, Tamaki's nightmare about her commoner existence.

Yep, I agree: it is a very special and very good tv show.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
While I'm working on bringing you new content, why don't we have a Q&A here? Feel free to ask me anything!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:47 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
While I'm working on bringing you new content, why don't we have a Q&A here? Feel free to ask me anything!

Are you looking forward to any of the theatrical anime screenings that are in the pipeline? I presume you'll have access to them where you are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
@Zin5ki

Thanks for asking! Honestly, not really. I'm a little too busy to go see anime screenings right now, and the two movies I really want to see- Your Name and A Silent Voice - are ones I'm waiting to watch when they're released for home media. I'm especially looking forward to the latter, as the dub for that movie seems to have had a lot of thought put into it. The only movies I'm looking forward to seeing in theaters right now are Pixar's Coco and The Disaster Artist.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Akane Recaps Code Geass Episode Nine: Local Woman Turns To Drugs

Last time on Code Madness:

Shirley: What a lovely day to go on a vacation with my two bestest buds!
Milly: This is going to be the best weekend getaway ever!
Nina: But what if something happens, like if we get held hostage or something?
Milly: Nina, honey, it’s going to be okay. You’re not going to be kidnapped again.
Nina: Really?
Milly: I am ninety-nine point nine percent sure we’re going to be fine.
Elsewhere…
Zero: Check out our new digs, guys!
Rebel Number One: Sweet! Where’d you get it?
Zero: ...Hey-guys-let’s-watch-TV-which-by-the-way-is-not-a-distraction.
TV Reporter: Breaking news! A group of vacationers have been taken hostage at Lake Kawaguchi!
Zero: F*ck.
At Lake Kawaguchi.
Milly: So...I was wrong.
Nina: No sh*t! We should have stayed at School. Nothing bad ever happens there!
Shirley: But hey, if we die, we die together. Isn’t that what counts?
Milly: We can’t all be martyrs, Shirley.
Outside the hotel…
Cornelia: I have an idea. Let’s submerge the hotel!
Soldier Number One: But Your Highness, your sister is among the hostages!
Cornelia: Never mind, let’s wait.
Meanwhile, Back at the Hideout…
Zero: We have to do something! Cornelia’s going to kill everyone!
Kallen: And why do you care?
Zero: Because...they’re innocent civilians who don’t deserve death?
Kallen: That sounds legit.
At the hotel…
Suzaku: I hope everyone gets out alright, Lloyd.
Lloyd: About that…
Cornelia: STILL WAITING.
Soldier Number One: But Your Highness, people are dying!
Zero: Did someone call the cavalry?
Cornelia: You! Give me one good reason why-
Zero: Little sister.
Cornelia: ...you keep your head this time, Zero. Men, we head inside!
Meanwhile, Inside the Hotel.
Nina: Oh my God an Eleven.
JLF Member: WHAT THE F*CK DID YOU JUST SAY, B*TCH!?
Nina: Um...the girl from Stranger Things?
Euphemia: I love that show! By order of the royal princess, let’s all watch Stranger Things together!
Nina: Suddenly I’m turned on.
Elsewhere in the Hotel…
Zero: So what’s the whole point of this exercise?
JLF Leader: Publicity!
Zero: Really? That’s it? Wow, what a letdown. Now go kill yourself.
JLF Leader: Okay.
Later…
Euphemia: Why is everyone dead?
Zero: Hi.
Euphemia: Zero! You killed my big brother Clovis.
Zero: Gee, what tipped you off to that?
Euphemia: But you wouldn’t kill me, would you? We’re both warriors who believe in justice of a social kind!
Zero: Don’t make me hit you, Euphie. Say, shouldn’t Suzaku be done with the hotel submerging thing?
Explosion noises!
Zero: That must be him.
Later…
Suzaku: Well, I’m glad everything worked out.
Zero: We’re the Black Knights. Don’t f*ck with us.

This episode is about...drugs.

[There’s a million wild and wonderful ways to say no!]

Now that I got that joke out of the way, how does “Refrain” hold up? Surprisingly well, actually. A lot of the heart of this episode comes from exploring Kallen’s backstory and her family. Here’s how.

The episode begins two weeks after the previous one, where we see Kallen...lying in her underwear. Because some pervert on staff wanted to see that, I guess. She wakes up to a crash, which came from her mother - now a maid - falling from a stepladder. Ms. Kozuki begs for forgiveness, noticably correcting herself when she refers to Kallen by name. In response to Mom’s attempts to probe into her life, Kallen acts coldly to her. We even see that she put a sticker on a family picture where her mother’s face was supposed to be.

At school, Kallen dreams about the night before, when she and her fellow Black Knights raided a Britannian warehouse. She wakes with a start, her blurting of “Black Knights” being met with laughter from her classmates. Kallen’s friends note how unusual it is for her to snooze in class, unlike Lelouch. In fact, he’s sleeping right now, which he’s been doing a lot lately.

Elsewhere, Cornelia discusses Japanese affairs with her men (and Euphie). Most notably, she brings up the decrease in use of a drug called Refrain. (Truth in Television: read about the Opium Wars for more information). Euphemia asks her sister what she’s going to do to the Black Knights, to which she responds by saying she’s holding off on them out of gratitude. Then she sweetly caresses her cheek and tells her that once she’s done suppressing the rebels, Euphie’s in charge.

Okay, I admit it. Cornelia and Euphie’s relationship is f*cking adorable.

As Euphemia reflects on her being spared by Zero two weeks earlier, we cut back to Ashford. Kallen yawns and moans over how having a double life is exhausting (hey, we can’t all be Kim Possible). She overhears some brou-ha-ha coming from the student council room, where her friends are...dressing up as cats. That scream being Lelouch not wanting to join in. Um…

According to Rivalz, they’re throwing a party to welcome Arthur, who is their new pet cat. Shirley points out to Kallen that she got an entire assortment of costumes for her. Lelouch then says “She doesn’t need a costume. You’re already wearing a mask, right?” Ooh, sick burn, Lulu.

Shirley notes that ever since the hostage situation, she and the other student council girls have been harassed by both paparazzi and their classmates. They haven’t even been able to leave campus grounds for a week. Oh, and if the girls have to suffer, the boys have to suffer with them. Suddenly, Suzaku begins to cry, thankful that all his friends are alive. (*cough* Season Two *cough*)

Kallen smiles at her friends having fun, internally remarking about the Black Knights overnight celebrity. As she walks through the park on her way home, she notices a mother scolding her child over pretending to be Zero. After all, showing such blatant support of an enemy of the state is very dangerous, especially if the state is suppressing you. She notes that she’d like to know more about Zero, but fears that digging too deep would push him away.

After some brief scenes of Lelouch, Nina, and the underground Japanese resistance, we cut to Kallen at home. Milly arrives with a gift, and things grow tense when she meets both Kallen’s mother AND step-mother. Said step-mother all but calls Kallen a sl*t (HISS), saying that she’s lucky that Dad isn’t home. One racist remark towards the maid is enough for Kallen to bark back, and the scene ends with Ms. Kozuki knocking over a vase and being berated by Lady Tremaine.

Turns out the gift Milly’s here to drop off is Kallen’s junior high transcripts. From this, Kallen realizes that she can no longer hide being mixed race from her classmates. She then goes on to talk about how weak and pathetic her mother is for working in the house of the man who “jilted” her. Still, she’s grateful that she isn’t starving and homeless.

We cut to Ms. Kozuki. She’s alone in her room, the walls covered with insults written in red ink. Then she opens a drawer, revealing an injector. Oh, but Ms. Kozuki, don’t you know?

In the student council room, Lelouch can’t believe Suzaku was crying. The two then have a thinly veiled debate over the morality of the Black Knights existence. Before their bickering can turn into a catfight, Shirley walks in, giving Suzaku an opportunity to head back to the base. Lelouch fumes over “back to the base,” giving Shirley no chance to ask him out on a date.

Elsewhere, Kallen talks over the phone with another Black Knight about a plan to raid a drug warehouse. Said Black Knight notably has a picture of him with Kallen and her deceased brother, so make of that what you will. Here, we learn that Refrain is a drug that makes the user believe they’re living in the past. (Insert obligatory 90s’ kid joke here).

Kallen hangs up, then sees some Britannians harassing a Japanese vendor. Before she can kick their collective asses, Lelouch stops her, explaining that intervening would result in him losing his job. The Britannians notice Kallen and Lelouch and proceed to corner them. The latter uses his Geass to get said Britannians to leave the man alone, and given the nature of said power, to never bother another “Eleven” again. Kallen runs over to the bystander, who, believing she’s another Britannian, grovels beneath her. The heartbroken look on her face says it all.

Lelouch objectively analyzes that in some ways, life is actually better in Area Eleven than it was in Japan. Kallen asks him what he would do, and he lies that he’d rather do nothing, as compliance under the crown is far better than resistance. Reminded of her mother, Kallen slaps Lelouch, chews him out and storms off. Meanwhile, back at home, Ms. Kozuki’s drug problem grows worse.

[Someone needs a PSA…]

Meanwhile, Detective Villetta (remember her?) and Jeremiah are out drinking. She asks him if he really doesn’t remember freeing Suzaku. She then tells him that she had a memory lapse too, and that she suspects it all leads back to that high school boy in Shinjuku. Though she can’t remember his face, Villetta knows deep down there’s a way to solve this mystery.

That night, the Black Knights prepare to raid the Refrain warehouse. They break in, shooting any smuggler in sight. As Kallen heads forward, she’s shocked to find an entire flock of addicts stuck in their nostalgia dream worlds, her mother among them. The Black Knights are ambushed by police, and while Kallen runs, she’s forced to deal with her very complicated feelings towards her mother’s drug abuse. But as she orders Mom to run, Ms. Kozuki tells her she’ll always be there for her.

And that’s when Kallen realizes something. Ms. Kozuki wasn’t staying at the Stadtfeld estate out of weakness; she stayed out of love for her only living child.

Now I should discuss exactly how the Japanese view drug abuse. If you thought 1980s-90s America was harsh, they have nothing on Japan. For example, voice actress Ai Takabe was practically blacklisted from the industry when she was arrested for cocaine possession. Take drugs in Japan and your career goes kaput.

Anyhoo, Kallen crashes her Knightmare while taking out an enemy. Her friends rush to her, though she ends up running to her poor mother. From above, C.C. (nice to see you after all this), philosophizes. “False tears bring pain to those around you. A false smile brings pain to oneself.”

At a hospital, Kallen is told that her mother can’t speak much due to a Refrain side effect. Additionally, she’s been sentenced to twenty years in prison for drug possession. Tearfully, Kallen promises to make the world a better place while Ms. Kozuki does her time in jail. And so the episode ends with mother and daughter reconciling.

Well, that was quite the episode. Oddly enough, I think this episode understands the reasons why people turn to drugs more than every American PSA from the 80s-90s ever did. I read an excellent comic on Stuart McMillen’s website website called “Rat Park” that detailed experiments on rats to study addiction. The conclusion it reached was that the rats in isolation fared worse than those in Rat Park because of the seeming hopelessness of their situation. The Japanese too turn to Refrain in despair over the invasion of their homeland. All jokes aside, the Refrain itself takes a backseat to a story about a girl’s very troubled relationship with her mother. For something that could have been preachy, this episode was surprisingly nuanced, and I appreciate it for that.

What's Nunnally Doing?

Who's Nunnally?

EDIT: Yeah, I forgot to do the What's Nunnally Doing? segment. You can understand why, since Nunnally isn't even in this episode.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
A Special Holiday Message

Dear Readers,

As the holiday season officially begins, I think about my family. I am the only one I know in my extended family who likes anime as much as I do. On one hand, being an anime fan feels more special in a certain way. But on the other, it leaves me nobody to talk to. On occassions such as these, I feel alienated.

Then I remember you. Yes, you. You, who come to this thread and comment. You, who watch the same shows as I do. You, who share this common interest with me. And I'm no longer alone.

So if any of you feel the way I do around this time of year, then I say that you aren't alone. You all are my dearest friends, and that, above all, is what I cherish this season. I don't know what I could do without all of you. I could say I am grateful for the anime that changed my life like Madoka Magica and FLCL, which I really am. But I'm even more thankful that I was able to make so many friends on this website. So thank you, everyone, for being here.

Yours truly,

Akane the Catgirl

P.S. Sorry if my update schedule is really tough. I'm trying. I really am.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Hope you had a nice T-Day too!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
What Gina Szanboti wrote.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
As the holiday season officially begins, I think about my family. I am the only one I know in my extended family who likes anime as much as I do. On one hand, being an anime fan feels more special in a certain way. But on the other, it leaves me nobody to talk to. On occassions such as these, I feel alienated.

Oh yeah. I usually talk about mainstream stuff with my friends but it certainly feels weird to be into something nobody among my close friends is also into. Well, that's exactly what the internet is for: to bring people with common niche interests together.

Cheers-
J. C.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
ALERT ALERT ALERT

So...ever heard about net neutrality?

You do? Great! Now, do you want to keep that neutrality? You do? That's great too! Because two weeks from now, there's going to be vote on the fate of net neutrality in the United States. Things are not looking very optimistic right now, but there's still time left.

If net neutrality is repealed- no joke- I may permanently end Akane Analyzes. I really don't want to, but with mega-corps squeezing money out of the American people, it may not be worth keeping this thread alive. Now, I'm not doing this whole thing for monetization or fame, obviously, but because it's a personal passion of mine. I don't want this to go away.

What can you do? If you live in the US like I do, then call your representatives and congress. They need to hear your voices. They need to know that we will not be silenced. In fact, tell everyone you know to scream and shout and yell and cry about net neutrality. There's too much at stake.

Thank you.

Akane the Catgirl
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
I think the FCC is already stacked with the bought votes (it's only a panel of 3) so the vote's pretty much a done deal. Still I've registered my 2 cents' worth on the FCC public comment site.

The more important thing is making noise at your reps to codify Title II in law so that net neutrality quits being a political football punted back and forth with each new administration. And since Congress is pretty much also bought and paid for, the noise is going to have to be really loud for them to hear it over the clatter of the coin raining down on them from Comcast and Verizon and TW, et al.

The FCC vote is a good motivator to not put it off though. So call and tell the people who are supposed to be representing you to represent you.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Poll!

Hi everybody! Guess who has writer's block? Yup, me. I've been talking it over with my friends and loved ones, and I decided that to cure said writer's block, I'm going to let YOU- yes, you- pick the next Akane Analyzes post! Here are your two options:

* Yuri on Ice and the Frozen Effect

* Paranoia Agent and the Moefication of Anime

You have one week to vote! See you then.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I've seen at least some of Paranoia Agent, so I vote for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 32