• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks to Dub Chaika - The Coffin Princess Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
What are the chances of Chaika showing up on Toonami, now that Sentai has amply demonstrated its willingness to work with Williams Street?

I'm afraid that's not gonna happen anytime soon. if they were, series like samurai girls (edited) infinite stratos and log horizon would have been on AS already.Especially log horizon since its pretty much a tamed version of sword art online.

dont know why but its pretty obvious that sentai is not in tune with williams street unlike aniplex, viz media or funi.

Hell if they were really in tune with them and willing to work with wiliams street, Sentai would have already have finally did a dub version for Gintama and have it released on AS already.

Mr.Shonen wrote:
After hearing the voices during Agame Ga Kill promo on Toonami last night, is it too hard to ask Sentai to put some effort into their dubs? The VAs sounded so off at certain points in my opinion..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXUN4B3nSKE

i think you might be wrong about that. while its nothing to write home to, its still solid and at least its GETTING DUBBED instead of getting the sub only treatment. also if i recall agame ga kill is licensed by aniplex,not sentai.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
i think you might be wrong about that. while its nothing to write home to, its still solid and at least its GETTING DUBBED instead of getting the sub only treatment. also if i recall agame ga kill is licensed by aniplex,not sentai.

I agree, im just happy its getting a dub but sentai does own the license to agame ga kill.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
also if i recall agame ga kill is licensed by aniplex,not sentai.

Given that it is streamed by The Anime Network, I would say no:
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Akame-ga-Kill/Watch

Also, CR lists the publisher as Toho.

ANN's article on it made note that "Akame ga KILL! will be Sentai Filmworks' first show to premiere on the current Toonami block.":
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-30/adult-swim-toonami-to-run-akame-ga-kill-michiko-and-hatchin/.88740
Otakuteen18

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
When will the dub episodes be released and what is wrong about the akame ga kill dub voices like there dub voices.
noigeL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
After hearing the voices during Agame Ga Kill promo on Toonami last night, is it too hard to ask Sentai to put some effort into their dubs? The VAs sounded so off at certain points in my opinion..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXUN4B3nSKE

Sounds fine. No need to over-analyze, but then again it's an anime dub and this is the internet.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Now we just need a release date, and possibly a license for Avenging Battle.

I'm pretty sure Sentai have Avenging Battle. I mean, if Hanabee in Australia have it, I'd say Sentai have the rights. Or, do you mean if Sentai will dub Avenging Battle?

I look forward to seeing how they'll go about dubbing Chaika. I mean, if the character isn't going to speak broken English, I see no point in a dub.

Last edited by Ali07 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
I am curious how well (or pray it be NOT bad) Chaika's speech pattern will end up with an English dub script.
That's my biggest worry as well. Hopefully they'll find a way to make it work. Other than that, a dub pleases me. And I second the idea that this should be on Toonami.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:52 am Reply with quote
Now that Chaika's getting dubbed, it may appear Toonami? The Toonami, the "where anime goes to die in the dead of night" Toonami? And this matters why?

Anyway, I saw the streamed version and seeing how my home release will include this and the dub... wait, I think I just said I'm going to buy it anyway. Enough said there.

It was one of the better LN adaptations but considering that even average adaptations make terrible shows, I'm not sure if I'm praising the show or just surprised a basic premise -with key images- made it through a popularity contest entertaining.

Chaika- The Coffin Princess was no Magical Warfare, that's for sure but since that mess got dubbed, it'd be an insult not to dub this one.

I never saw the sequel but ten episodes? That's never a good sign.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
Regarding all this negative speculation on how the dub may end up, I wish just for once that we at the ANN forums (beyond people like me) could apply this to a subbed version.
noigeL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Regarding all this negative speculation on how the dub may end up, I wish just for once that we at the ANN forums (beyond people like me) could apply this to a subbed version.

Dubs are over-analyzed because fans compare them to what they assume is utter perfection (the Japanese version). In reality there's a heaping helping of mediocre to bad voice acting in Japan. If the same standards fans apply to English dubs were applied to the original voice acting, it too would fall short much of the time.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Panzer Vor wrote:
What are the chances of Chaika showing up on Toonami, now that Sentai has amply demonstrated its willingness to work with Williams Street?

I'm afraid that's not gonna happen anytime soon. if they were, series like samurai girls (edited) infinite stratos and log horizon would have been on AS already

One show not being on the network, doesn't disqualify another show, so this analogy isn't really applicable.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
YES! Awesome!

Panzer Vor wrote:

Could totally see this show on there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2