• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monogatari is a Disaster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
Fanservice, otaku pandering and retarded fetichism ruined the whole experience for me. Still I can't help but praise this series by its great other points.

Bake: 8,4/10
Nise: 6,8/10
Neko K: 7,7/10
Second Season: 9/10 (yeah, even with the pedo stuff. it was that good)
Hana: 8,5/10
Tsuki: 8,2/10

Kizu (books only for now):
8/10 (please be good as a movie... and be released already lol).

The rest of the story (books only for now):
9,5/10 (I'm expecting to get another awesome adaptation for it as well).
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
This anime... I watched half of the first season and it felt like watching two highschool student discuss philosophy and "the meaning of life" or some crap like that. Visually it was really interesting, but that was it. It just really felt like an hot air balloon, looks big and impressive but empty on the inside and won't take you very far.
FoxgloveLove

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
I understand this so well, and it really is a hard show to recommend to other people. I think to enjoy this show kind of says something about your personality....

Still, definitely one of my favorite series. Great article!
Blankslate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
I've said it a million times, Serial Experiments Lain is the show Shaft wishes it could make.
chito895

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
To me, Monogatari is more like a crazy series than a disaster. The first minute of Bake, which was the best prologue I have ever seen in my life, make me realized that what I was going to watch was going to melt my brain if I didn't pay attention. And it was indeed crazy and brain melting. I loved Bake art style and animation. I always have to watch each sequence twice becausr the first time was to see al the surrealistic images and the second one was to actually read the subtitles. In this one, I loved the firat three arcs, my favorite being Hitagi crab and then Suruga monkey.

However, I can't believe myself loving the comedy of Nise. It's full of incest with some pedophilia, but I anyway couldn't stop laughing spoiler[at every sexy dialogue and interactions between Karen and Araragi, especially during the infamous brush teeth scene]. But I kind of hate that comedy, because the only thing I would get if I showed it to my family is a "what the frog are you watching, sicko"

While Bake made me love Monogatato for ita story, Nise made me love/hate it for its stupid comedy. I still have to watch second series, and I hope that once I finish it, I'll start caring about Hanekawa.

I also hope I'm still alive when Kizumonogatari is released. Sad
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
I've said it a million times, Serial Experiments Lain is the show Shaft wishes it could make.

They are not even remotely similar.
NormanS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoy (parts) of the monogatari series, there are some great arcs and some not so great, i enjoyed the closure of kanbaru's arc and hanekawa's white tiger arc. But i wont argue against that its really an audio-book "light" novel with some pictures. The worst part is i have no doubt there are stuff lost in translation from the subs.

But the consistent thing i really hate about the series is the TV-airing versions (or i think it is) where almost every episode has at least 6 "blank" scenes with text like [transition screen #3 font type: (X) ], the first monogatari season was the worst since that one had the most blank scenes until later season where the studio decided to get a bit creative by filling a bit of them with some artistic frames.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
The first one was well produced, had fine enough writing that gave context to the art and style so i gave it a "decent" and don´t regret watching it. The ending also had surprising finality so i left after 3 or so episodes of the sequel and i apparently did right as the franchise just can´t end.
At least it is pretty and the anime is supposed to better than the LN.
Monogatari is SHAFT in a nutshell. That is all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
NormanS wrote:
I really enjoy (parts) of the monogatari series, there are some great arcs and some not so great, i enjoyed the closure of kanbaru's arc and hanekawa's white tiger arc. But i wont argue against that its really an audio-book "light" novel with some pictures. The worst part is i have no doubt there are stuff lost in translation from the subs.

But the consistent thing i really hate about the series is the TV-airing versions (or i think it is) where almost every episode has at least 6 "blank" scenes with text like [transition screen #3 font type: (X) ], the first monogatari season was the worst since that one had the most blank scenes until later season where the studio decided to get a bit creative by filling a bit of them with some artistic frames.

You should thank god you didn't watched any other show from Shinbou then.
Zetsubou-sensei is like 2 times worse in this aspect haha
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Interesting read, I've never ever recommended this series to anyone, not because I think it is bad, but I can never tell if the person would like it or not. It is the sort of show where with very polarising opinions, unlike any show I've ever seen before.

My only problem is the people who call it a paedophile show, since it is far from it, admittedly the jokes about it go too far, especially in Nise, though the character this centred around has now passed on. But to make it seem like it is aimed at some sort of market is inexcusable, and incredibly damaging to all who watch it.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, some people love post Twin Peaks David Lynch and/or films from guys like Gondry, Carax etc., for me Monogatari series and to a lesser extent other shows made by team Shinbo are examples of works that first and foremost interesting because of their visual aesthetics even if story falls short of greatness. Now, I think the most divisive component of this series lays in a very minimalistic approach towards visual storytelling, for all the games with colors, shots and cuts it's still very exposition heavy anime, so yeah, people who appreciate show don't tell rule certainly will be disappointed by Monogatari and Shaft in general.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I guess disaster works more in the literal sense than the colloquial one. But That does sum up my personal view of the series. It deliberately strives to make choices that inherently are divisive. They try to push certain boundaries and test limits, which will naturally either win you high praise or derision.

To me the way the story is the primary driving force to the animation style. Because so much time is spent in monologue, banter back and forth in place physically doing nothing, the use of the dynamic angles, the lighting, the abrupt transitions, etc, seemed like an attempt to keep the viewer engaged. I personally was not in favor for much of the animation style, but I wouldn't call it a disqualifying factor. Then again, I usually account visuals as one of the most fungible aspects of anime nowadays.

The writing style seems more fit for a stage play than necessarily an anime. For me that seems like the reason it can be so hit and miss with that. I can imagine seeing a group on stage acting out the script like some great Shakespearean drama, but it just doesn't seem to work quite right as an animated story many times.

Then you throw in its sometimes controversial subject matter, and often long, tenuously threaded, vague references, buried in those long disjointed monologues... frankly most people, even those who can appreciate the meaning, intent, and basic story, can find tiresome and excessive at times.
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I feel I'm one of the few people that actually enjoyed the Araragi / Mayoi interactions. It was just fun for me seeing them together and having whole conversations about meaningless stuff (like how adding "the courage to" to a sentence makes anything sound righteous). Maybe I just liked Mayoi's character in general... not to say I don't see the faults in her arcs. I just don't care much about them.

Overall, I believe Monogatari is indeed a mess, but in a good way, a fun mess, a mess that makes me unable to predict just what the next arc is going to be about, a very colorful and delightful mess.

And regarding Nise... I actually found it as good as Bake. Why? Well, I did like the fanservice, all things considered. Araragi's sisters are fun to watch. And most importantly, it introduced best girl Kaiki, instantly making the first arc a worthwhile experience.
NormanS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:

You should thank god you didn't watched any other show from Shinbou then.
Zetsubou-sensei is like 2 times worse in this aspect haha

I have watched some of the works that have him as a director, but most of them are before bakemonogatari's time (the first nanoha series for example), but the most recent one i've seen from him was Koufuku graffiti and i did see the head tilts and stuff. But i did hear Mekaku city actor was the worst

But to repeat myself, the problem i had with the monogatari series especially with bakemonogatari was because of the studio's heavy usage of the blank frame scenes with some text in the TV-airing which was thankfully reduced in the later seasons with still frames, or longer looping scenes, or frames that arent blank that will be replaced in the dvd/blu-ray version.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I'd be more interested in Monogatari if it wasn't for the harem aspect. There's few worse turn-offs for me than "male high schooler main character interacts mainly with a bunch of cute girls and has sexual tension with them."
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6