• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monogatari is a Disaster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
21Anime wrote:
i can definitely say without having read the article i already know i won't agree,the very title says it all so to the guy who wrote the article i say it's sad that you can't see a diamond in the rough like the monogatari series.I don't think i've ever seen such a fantastic anime like this one and even more so to watch and love it after ep 1 like that's so rare usually have to watch a few but like i said ep 1 love it,there wasn't a thing i didn't like in fact what pulled me in even more was the random tooth brush scene i never expected that and that what imo makes a gud anime throwing people off there seats back from there scenes.

That's kinda sad for your first comment in a thread man. Better go read the article to actually know what the writer has written about the series before jumping to conclusion. That title was just a hook line for people to read.
KarmaRocketX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Good lord. If this is how you review a show you like, I wouldn't want to see how you write about something you don't.

The only real disaster I see here is this review.

This is like, that kind of reviewer who is trying way too hard and go way too far out of his way to be nonsensically quirky, intentionally obtuse, and painfully attention-seeking in such a hipstery way that he provides critical analysis like e.e cummings writes poetry.

The kind of person who stands back and pats himself on the back for writing up a review like some kind of intentionally puzzling, modern art painting and waiting to see how many people deconstruct the formless and contradictory squares and triangles placed randomly about as some kind of metaphor for the human condition when it's just a bunch of randomly placed squares and triangles.

I mean, the hell even IS this? I can do the same thing and rave on about the same kind of platitudes on something base and artless like Dragon Ball Z of all things and come up with the same level of pseudo-intellectual blitherings.

"Dragon Ball Z is the manifestation of the animal nature of us all. Is the inner Oozaru of our rage our ally or our enemy? Who does the fighter seek to fight? Does he fight himself as he fights his foes? Does the man collect the balls, or do the balls collect the man? Is Death the end, or only the cycle of life? Freiza claims Namek will explode in 5 minutes, but several episodes pass in 5 minutes. It is a beautiful commentary on the nature of time itself. How the nature of every fleeting moment is it's own eternity. And Here we have Yamcha, the portrait of the eternal everyman, the crying clown, not unlike the subject of the Italian opera, Pagliacci. Is the greatest failure the true unsung hero? It makes you think, does it not? Dragon Ball Z is the human condition. It is everything and it is nothing."

That level of complete and utter drivel that borders on self-parody was easy enough to come up with in 10 minutes, and much like this review, was just as pretentious, aside from the fact that my review actually didn't seek to take itself seriously on an Anime news website.

Is this the kind of thing that passes for actual critique and a real website review now? The kind of self-deluded ramblings one would expect from a stoner high on marijuana trying to be meaningful and deep, yet seriously conclude a legitimate attempt at a review with "The show is a terrible mess. It's great go watch it".?

While everything above that was really rambling, incoherent, nonsense that made not one definitive point, in the wake of just trying way too hard to be so contradictory, that nothing is said at all, aside from the reviewer equivalent of telling me that "Up Is Down, and Down Is Up" and "There Is No Spoon"?

I can almost hear the bongo playing and see the black rimmed lenseless glasses and black beret in the background, the whole way through this farce.

Seriously if this review is just a somewhat clever trolling that I just fell for, then ok, haha joke is on me I guess, you sure got me.

But if this was actually an attempt at a legitimate review... what even the hell did I just read?
Shaterri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Jackanapes wrote:
I've for the longest time felt like practically the only person who not only could not see this franchise as a masterpiece but just couldn't stand it really. I just found the cast and their banter thoroughly unlikable and the constant jump cuts and flash in words kind of spastic and something that makes it even harder to watch and pay attention to. Too me its just not how storytelling and television is supposed to be done and again I felt very alone while everyone around me was always celebrating this series brazen fanservice and again IMO this series really obnoxious cast. Is it finally okay not to like this franchise without being ridiculed now?

Of course it is! This has always been a divisive show, and I've certainly never held it against anyone for not liking it. Not being able to see what anyone could see in it, not being able to see any positive aspects whatsoever, might be a different matter - but as much as I might disagree with you about the show's merits, you're 100% not wrong about it.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I find myself agreeing, though i wouldn't call it a disaster.

As for the unfavorable elements, I've begun to view that as a form of shitposting - a barrier-to-entry in an artistic sense to keep sensitive people out of the work, so those who wish to discuss everything including the unpleasantries, can do so without some tumblr type sighing every time they're asked about the show. If you put in something icky a whole ton of people who wouldn't have bought the show anyways will not even watch it. Thusly the fans can gather around and enjoy the ride. The toothbrush scene makes one of my friends MAD and he's never returned to the show at all.

I recall the original text spent 1-2 pages of the opening text describing a panty-shot.

There's a lot that can be written about how this show does just about everything. it breaks a ton of molds while adhering strictly to them. It's a contradiction, and people love talking about.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Pedophile stuff in Monogotari? Shocked

I'm out. Neutral

OH please! there is no pedo stuff in the series. the only thing other than the basic harem fanservice is the brother/sister complex which at times have been the MO for current harem series (though only with step siblings like in Oreimo or with cousins like in SAO:Fairy Dance Arc and not with blood related siblings)

and compared to the fanservice from other harem series like DxD , IS , and Index, monogotari is rather tame. so i wouldnt dismiss the series if i was you. you should try a weekend rental. you might like it. as for me, i'll skip it for a while longer in the hopes that Aniplex might consider giving the series an english dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
I came here to see people say I ONLY SKIMMED THE ARTICLE AND I'M MAD U TALKED SHIT BOUT MUH WAIFUS SHOW HOW DARE YOU and I wasn't disappointed, although there was less than I thought.

Thank you Nick Creamer for finally putting pen to paper on all the stuff I feel about this show in such an enlightening way. I'm in the love-hate camp. It's brilliant and cringe-inspiring at the same time.

CaRoss wrote:
Great write up. The Monogatari franchise is one of those weird beasts. It has some seriously abhorrent content (almost anytime Araragi and Mayoi are on screen together after her first arc, and a lot of stuff between him and his sisters), but is also one of the most engaging and well written series out there.

It tends to jump between one of those series I absolutely want to recommend (like Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, or Trigun), but is held back by the knowledge that it is also one of the most fanservicey series out there. And somehow it makes it all mesh into, and I love how you described it, a mess that is totally worth watching.

This.

jr0904 wrote:
OH please! there is no pedo stuff in the series.

A child simulating fellatio doesn't quantify as "pedo stuff?" Are you sure about that? There is an entire episode of little girl fanservice. I mean it's not literal pedophilia but it does blatantly eroticize an elementary school student.

Also "But it has less fanservice than X, Y, and Z" doesn't make the show contain less fanservice. It's a harem show, stop lying to yourself. A brilliant harem show, but a harem show full of T&A.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
Click bait title is click bait.

I'll agree that Monogatari has a very weird presentation and suffers from a high barrier of entry, but it's no disaster. It is exactly what it wants to be, and if the audience cannot accept it for what it is there's always the option to stop watching it.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
cannonfodder4000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
What a fantastically written analysis. I really appreciate the lack of spoilers, too.
Props to the dude that wrote this, it's making me wanna rewatch the first season and soak in the symbolism I didn't catch.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
I'm not very far into the franchise yet ( I'm halfway through the Karen Bee arc in Nisemonogatari). So far I've loved it, but in all fairness I'm a bit of a Shaft fanboy. I will admit that it can be exhausting at times just from the barrage of dialogue. I find myself taking breaks and watching lighter stuff between arcs.

Also, despite what was said in previous posts there is definitely some scenes that I would qualify as pedophile-ish. It didn't bother me at all, but it might be a barrier if you don't like loli's.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
Good review, it could have easily been longer than it was. Even the fanservice is quirky. Leaving aside the stuff with Snail (I never quite got the reasons behind including it) the fanservice is lot more erotic than your usual fare. The stuff with his sisters almost borders on parody, like the tooth brushing scene from Nise. At the same time fanservice with Crab and Cat are some of the most erotic in anime by my preference, it helps that they are interesting characters.

The main issue I think is that, to add to the mess, this is not a show they have took their time on, nearly everything has been adapted over a few years, it takes 'strike while the iron is hot' logic very literally. Wonder what Shafts main franchise is going to be after they finish this.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
i saw season one of this series. I didn't know they made more seasons after the first one

i've never saw other anime series with so much talking (fast as well) before.

I thought it was an action series from the OP (season 1) Confused
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
desk-of-max wrote:
I don't like Nick Creamer's writing/critiquing style. I find it redundant and barbed. Watch more anime. Confused

Yeah, I've often come away from reviews or articles thinking the emphasis was too much on form rather than content. I wouldn't go as far as KarmaRocketX did earlier, but I definitely feel the construction, pithy paradoxes and clickbait-y headings are to the detriment of the content.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
KarmaRocketX wrote:
Good lord. If this is how you review a show you like, I wouldn't want to see how you write about something you don't.

This is like, that kind of reviewer who is trying way too hard and go way too far out of his way to be nonsensically quirky, intentionally obtuse, and painfully attention-seeking in such a hipstery way that he provides critical analysis like e.e cummings writes poetry.

The kind of person who stands back and pats himself on the back for writing up a review like some kind of intentionally puzzling, modern art painting and waiting to see how many people deconstruct the formless and contradictory squares and triangles placed randomly about as some kind of metaphor for the human condition when it's just a bunch of randomly placed squares and triangles.

I mean, the hell even IS this? I can do the same thing and rave on about the same kind of platitudes on something base and artless like Dragon Ball Z of all things and come up with the same level of pseudo-intellectual blitherings.

"Dragon Ball Z is the manifestation of the animal nature of us all. Is the inner Oozaru of our rage our ally or our enemy? Who does the fighter seek to fight? Does he fight himself as he fights his foes? Does the man collect the balls, or do the balls collect the man? Is Death the end, or only the cycle of life? Freiza claims Namek will explode in 5 minutes, but several episodes pass in 5 minutes. It is a beautiful commentary on the nature of time itself. How the nature of every fleeting moment is it's own eternity. And Here we have Yamcha, the portrait of the eternal everyman, the crying clown, not unlike the subject of the Italian opera, Pagliacci. Is the greatest failure the true unsung hero? It makes you think, does it not? Dragon Ball Z is the human condition. It is everything and it is nothing."

That level of complete and utter drivel that borders on self-parody was easy enough to come up with in 10 minutes, and much like this review, was just as pretentious, aside from the fact that my review actually didn't seek to take itself seriously on an Anime news website.

Is this the kind of thing that passes for actual critique and a real website review now? The kind of self-deluded ramblings one would expect from a stoner high on marijuana trying to be meaningful and deep, yet seriously conclude a legitimate attempt at a review with "The show is a terrible mess. It's great go watch it".?

While everything above that was really rambling, incoherent, nonsense that made not one definitive point, in the wake of just trying way too hard to be so contradictory, that nothing is said at all, aside from the reviewer equivalent of telling me that "Up Is Down, and Down Is Up" and "There Is No Spoon"?

I can almost hear the bongo playing and see the black rimmed lenseless glasses and black beret in the background, the whole way through this farce.

Seriously if this review is just a somewhat clever trolling that I just fell for, then ok, haha joke is on me I guess, you sure got me.

But if this was actually an attempt at a legitimate review... what even the hell did I just read?

How about you try to point out WHAT he wrote wrong, instead of ranting on HOW he wrote it? lol

If you can do that, I can actually see what is your point. THIS is what I call flat criticism :v
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I personally would gone more with a word like Chaotic. Disaster implies a negative connotations, there is never a good disaster.

But I think what he was trying to convey, and using a more neutral term, is that the show is chaotic, its all over the place, its many different things.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
KarmaRocketX wrote:

Well, it's not a review... so, that takes care of your problem with that.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6