• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monogatari is a Disaster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

In the same sense that Monogatari is not a harem series? It doesn't give the show a grade, but it certainly counts as a "here are my general thoughts about this piece of media" thing, also known as a review.

Based on the criteria this website very clearly follows if you read and are familiar with the work we do here, this is not a review. This is an editorial about aspects of this show that Nick wanted to articulate - it doesn't function as a "review" at all. It's a feature editorial.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
thofheinz wrote:
What I will never understand is how so many viewers think this stuff is hilarious when they have sisters or even daughters in real life. Or any girl or woman they care about, when it comes down to it.

I have two sisters and multiple nieces and would never think to touch them in that way, and furthermore would beat the crap out of anyone else who tried to. Yet I find those aspects of the show amusing. It's simple, this is fiction, and that is real life.

kotomikun wrote:
In the same sense that Monogatari is not a harem series? It doesn't give the show a grade, but it certainly counts as a "here are my general thoughts about this piece of media" thing, also known as a review.

Based on that definition many of the comments in this thread are reviews.
thofheinz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
>I have two sisters and multiple nieces and would never think to touch them in that way, and furthermore would beat the crap out of anyone else who tried to. Yet I find those aspects of the show amusing. It's simple, this is fiction, and that is real life.<

The people who do or don't give a damn about the presentation of pedophilia and incest in fiction seem to have radically different mindsets, and that's the way it is.

For me, it's moot anyway. I'll watch these shows until they're over, no matter how often that sexually perverted piece of weasel shit Araragi appears. As I said before, I'm getting really good at eliminating him from sight, anyway, on the arcs I like. That craven, sidewinding little bastard is only necessary about half the time, when he's doing something worthwhile that actually enhances and deepens the narrative. One of the reasons I regret their not releasing Kizu is that he is at his best as a human being, there.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Although I did not actively dislike the series, this is exactly why I couldn't actually get into it, either. It's far too much li-SQUIRREL! *runs off*
TrustTheFungus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
thofheinz wrote:
What I will never understand is how so many viewers think this stuff is hilarious when they have sisters or even daughters in real life. Or any girl or woman they care about, when it comes down to it.

I don't really understand this reasoning. It's like having a problem with the Three Stooges because they are always hitting each other. Yes, in real life it would be terrible if someone treated their friends the way Moe does. But in a work of fiction it's perfectly fine to exaggerate for the sake of humor. I don't see why mild sexual assault is any different. Within the context of the story it leaves no physical or emotional damage and should not be treated as though it does.
DeadOpossum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
First of all, I am totally agree with the review. This is the best description of what is happening in the show I ever read. The review is a masterpiece on its own.

I want to add something to it though.

I want to emphasize that, unlike most of the other shows, this one is playing with viewer's emotions rather than viewer's mind. There are lots of embarrassing moments, a lot of tension and some fear. This show is absolutely great at pushing emotional buttons. It is also great at showing relief, happiness and joy. Judging this show by it's story or by presence of funservice is the same as judging a book by it's cover. It has no relation to the main stuff at all.

If you really want to enjoy it - open your eyes, dismiss your social barriers and try to feel instead of trying to judge or evaluate. There is no logic in the plot, there is no accordance to what your mother told you is bad or good.

This masterpiece made me feel what a real story should look like. Put it on the same shelf where Alice in Wonderland belongs, and label it with "for mature audience to enjoy".

Sure, I cannot recommend this show to others. There are thousands of reasons why not. Not everyone can stop reasoning and blaming it for having fanservice. Not all male audience can stop drooling when they see boobs and start paying attention to anything else. Not all people can feel emotions or have enough imagination to go after narrator's speech at times when show becomes an audio-visual book.

This is an absolute disaster that so many people are not able to enjoy it. And I'm totally happy to see it myself.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but this is a 3 year old thread and it's not an official review so this is major necroposting. Locking it up.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6