• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Errinundra's Beautiful Fighting Girl #133: Taiman Blues: Ladies' Chapter - Mayumi

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Blood-
With all due respect – and absolutely no disrespect intended – Errinundra has written in the title of this thread "Spoiler alert".

Just sayin'.

EDIT: However, having carefully reread your post and reviewed Errinundra's post, I must say that that I understand where you're coming from.
EDIT#2:
Errinundra wrote:
At least Yumi the Persecom had the grace to just say, "konnichiwa", twice before expiring,
IF my memory serves correctly, Yumi is not a main character.....
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:44 am Reply with quote
@ Zin5ki,

I think the main reason episode three doesn't work as well as it may have (though it's still good, I feel) is that Kuzuya and Yumemi don't create a strong enough relationship to carry the message. Presumably we are meant to identify with former and so be fascinated by the latter. Neither happened for me to any great extent.

I rated Chobits overall as good, just one step ahead of planetarian, so I concur with you that the victory isn't large, though the Ueda/Yumi the persocom sequence always stood out for me, and the one I replay from time to time. Mind you, watching it straight after planetarian exposes the older anime's technical shortcomings.

@ Blood-,

The flashback involving Ueda and his persocom ,Yumi, takes up 11 minutes of Chobits's 675 minute running time, being a side story that mainly functions to establish in the minds of the viewers and the protagonist, Hideki Motosuwa, what the stakes are for his persocom, Chi, and to provide some explication of Ueda's relationship with a human girl also called Yumi. Being a flashback you know from the get go the persocom can't have survived to the present, so as a spoiler it's a very minor one.

I hadn't considered that spoiling other anime in a post could be problematic. I'll try to bear that in mind in future. That said, I will continue to discuss the principle anime of the post as I see fit. As nobahn points out, the thread comes with a spoiler warning, as do individual posts if I believe the spoiler is serious enough to warrant it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:53 am Reply with quote
@ errinundra (and nobahn): I assumed the major spoiler alert applied to planetarian, not other shows. I really like your reviews, errinundra. I think they are of professional quality and your practise of liberally sprinkling in images is super appealing. In the case of Chobits, not having seen it, I had no way to assess the importance of the information contained - for all I knew you were talking about the main character. I'd love to continue to read your excellent reviews, but unfortunately I won't be able to unless I have some kind of assurance that plot details of OTHER shows won't be spoiled for me.

Discussion of other shows is vitally important in a review, I would never want to discourage it. And, aesthetically, I am not a fan of spoiler tags. I was one of the biggest proponents of gettiing rid of spoiler tags when discussing a show in a thread dedicated to THAT show. But man, I do not like learning things about shows I haven't seen yet. Out of consideration for that, I would never, for example, reveal things about Death Note, Cowboy Bebop or School Days without using spoiler tags, even though those are well-known shows (certainly the first two) that a lot of people are familiar with.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:01 am Reply with quote
Have a look at how I've changed the spoiler warning for that post. If I provide spoilers for other anime, not the main title under review, then I'll include such a warning in future.

Unless spoilers for the related anime are germane to the anime under review I'll avoid them. If they aren't essential to the review, why bother?

Enough. You're keeping me from making my dinner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:09 am Reply with quote
Much appreciated, errinundra. It's still not the perfect solution for me, because in a case like this, knowing there is a minor spoiler for Chobits not in tags would prevent me from reading the entire thing (probably). Or if I did read it, I'd be tense the entire time, getting visually ready to bail at the first indication a Chobits spoiler was coming up. But it certain is better than nothing.

I also meant to mention I love when you add stuff like how "Miss Jena" got her name. That's the kind of detail you don't often get in reviews. Well done.

eta: okay, I'm not sure if you altered the text in the review itself, but the way it is handled, it does act as a sort of spoiler warning. If I read the first part of it, I would be able to bail without reading the relevant bit. That's all I need really, is just some hint that a spoiler is coming - actual tags become unnecessary at that point (other than, it becomes guess work when I can resume reading).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:57 am Reply with quote
Errinundra

May I trouble you to amend the caption for the below image to include identifying information for each element? I am unable to identify all of the characters.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
As fond as I am for several of those characters, my long-standing and not-at-all unhealthy interest in this theme compels me to append certain favourites to it.

Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
@Zin5ki

Technically the Major from GITS is not a robot but a cyborg. There is a human brain running an artificial body. Actually that is the theme of the whole show. That is who your first picture is supposed to be isn't it?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
@ nobahn,

Top row, l-r: Astrogirl, Astroboy (1963); the eponymous Cutie Honey (1973); Olga, Space Firebird 2772 (1980); and the unnamed robot girl from the Presence segment of Robot Carnival (1987).

Bottom row, l-r: Alita/Gally, Battle Angel Alita (1993); Chi, Chobits (2002); Sammy, Time of Eve (movie) (2010) and Isla, Plastic Memories (2015).

@ Zin5ki,

I've not long finished Key the Metal Idol. Doesn't Key just spoiler[think she's a robot. At the end, her wish to become human is granted when she becomes aware of her true human nature.] Perhaps I misunderstood?

Last edited by Errinundra on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
[[...]

Technically the Major from GITS is not a robot but a cyborg. [...] That is who your first picture is supposed to be isn't it?

I'm certain that that it's from the 1st movie – I just don't remember what scene it's from! Maybe the last one?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
@nobahn

It would have to be from the first movie. It is just dark enough that I had some doubts. SAC had her looking more like the manga which is rather different. Oshii deliberately changed her appearance to make her look more artificial, with Shirow's approval. She only appears in the second movie in a borrowed body. Arise, of course, made her look more "youthful" which made sense in a symbolic manner, but was a bit silly since her appearance is manufactured to her specifications.

@Errinundra

For the record, Alita/Gally is also a cyborg not a robot. It took me a while to dig out the first volume of the manga but when Ido first finds her he specifically says "She's a genuine human being" "Judging from the body parts, I'd say it was a two or three hundred year old model ... It's a miracle her brain's still intact ..." When she first displays the "panzer kunst" it is noted that only cyborgs mastered that style. As with the Major, only her brain is human, all the rest is artificial and can be replaced at will. The ironic thing is that the overlords of Tiphares spoiler[have human bodies but have all replaced their brains with a computer chip.]
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
That few paragraphs that I dashed off seems to have launched a thousand ships.

Well, really closer to two or three.

The only remark that I feel equal to making is that Time of Eve never occurred to me as a comparison. It's a stupendous creation, which I don't say only because I gave it money, but because it genuinely enraptured me. Although, Planetarian has a modest structural advantage: I did find that I could see the 'seams' where the separate episodes of Time of Eve were stitched together. The adaptation of Planeterian benefits from having been restructured less. This, of course, only applies to the compilation edit. (Don't be mislead; Time of Eve is truly wonderful and you should watch it RIGHT NOW)

There have been a few things that I've seen in my life that I consider to have transformed my sense of what I like or see as exceptional. This includes a lot of things from Cowboy Bebop to Mony Python's Flying Circus to Babylon 5 to The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

One of the most important is Sidney Lumet's 1957 film adaptation of 12 Angry Men. For those not familiar, it is the story of a jury in a homicide trial who begin 11-1 in favor of conviction and by way of their intense, painful humanity don't end that way. Aside from short scenes at the start and end, it is set almost entirely in the jury room with the twelve jurors as the only characters. It is one of my absolute, utter favorite films. (Wayne Wang and Paul Auster's Smoke and Rintaro's Galaxy Express 999), which have more settings, but an even more intimate casts, are others) Somehow, that became my ideal.

That's where Planetarian succeeded for me, in that there's so little upon whom it all rests and through whom it is all expressed. Aside from some remembrances of the past, the soldier and Yumemi alone together in the planetarium are all that there really is to it; they are the embody and carry nearly the whole of the story. I can find defects in it, but it gave me so fully what I wanted and see as beautiful that I really don't care about what might not be right.

*edit: Corrected a formatting error.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:33 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Technically the Major from GITS is not a robot but a cyborg.

Here is something that robots tend not to do: split hairs!

Though it should be admitted that doing so is an activity I happen to relish, so please continue the good work!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:19 am Reply with quote
@Zin5ki

As far as I know we don't have humanoid robots yet, certainly I've never met one. However, as envisioned they are basically walking taking computers. They should be absolutely superb at splitting hairs. There is nothing like a computer to be excessively literal*. Of course, technically they don't have hair to split only an artificial substitute.

That reminds me who is the red eyed blond in your group? I don't recognize her.

Quote:
* I hate this damned machine, it only does what I tell it to, not what I want it to.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote

That character is Tima, from Metropolis.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 57