• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Cat's Meow-nga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:58 am Reply with quote
Y'know, I forgot to talk about my favorite cat web-comic: The Adventure of Business Cat, who is a cat, in a business suit and stuff, and acts like a cat.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If there's cat manga, is there also dog manga?

I guess you never heard of Inubaka, and I'm surprised nobody's seemed to mention this yet. That is the manga for dog persons to get the biggest kick out of, where it's just as much about relationships between people as it is between them and their adorably- (and realistically)-drawn pets, and it's the biggest shame that Viz Media didn't finish the series even though it was only a few volumes away from concluding.
corinthian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:42 am Reply with quote
For cat manhwa, Yen Press put out Milkyway Hitchhiking recently. I didn't actually pick it up, but I remember it being beautiful and in full color.

I have an almost entirely black cat named Cordelia, named for the King Lear and Buffy the Vampire Slayer characters. She was a skinny little stray and is now a plump furry drama queen.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:49 am Reply with quote
Another cat lover here: a red tabby named Kyo (after the Fruits Basket character of course) and a Tuxedo Cat named Mozart (no fandom name; that name just seemed best for him).

Can't say I read many cat comics though. I loved Chi's Sweet Home at first and thought it was very true to the cat experience but it did get a bit repetitive after awhile.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
We named our animals after the Lion King xD First we had a dog named Nala, and then we got two cats, Zazu and Simba. So the species were all messed up except for Simba, but what're you gonna do? xD
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
I guess you never heard of Inubaka, and I'm surprised nobody's seemed to mention this yet. That is the manga for dog persons to get the biggest kick out of, where it's just as much about relationships between people as it is between them and their adorably- (and realistically)-drawn pets, and it's the biggest shame that Viz Media didn't finish the series even though it was only a few volumes away from concluding.

I was going to mention Inubaka too, but I'm glad someone else knows it. And agreed, I can't believe they dropped the series. It was literally one of the best reads ever.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I personally would never name a cat something that you wouldn't name a human. If you won't name your kid "Sprinkles" or "Buttercup," don't name your pets that either.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I think there's a balance between sounding enough like a person's name and sounding too much like one: I feel a little funny having a cat share a name with people I know. (parents' cat that I named Marron, for example, is some years older than a little girl I know named Maren. the spelling's different but pronunciation is the same (in my sloppy American accent) so every time I call or refer to the kid, I feel like I'm talking to my pet.)
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I was going to mention Inubaka too, but I'm glad someone else knows it. And agreed, I can't believe they dropped the series. It was literally one of the best reads ever.

I was also going to mention it. I have most of the series - that made it to the US, anyway - and it's pretty enjoyable.

lys wrote:
I dunno, I think there's a balance between sounding enough like a person's name and sounding too much like one: I feel a little funny having a cat share a name with people I know. (parents' cat that I named Marron, for example, is some years older than a little girl I know named Maren. the spelling's different but pronunciation is the same (in my sloppy American accent) so every time I call or refer to the kid, I feel like I'm talking to my pet.)

That's funny. Personally I couldn't care less about something like that, but my Mom said almost the exact same thing when my parents got a new kitten last year and they were trying to figure out a name. I suggested "Bonnie" because it paired well with the other cat they had, but Mom was like, "But what if I meet someone named Bonnie someday and make friends with her, and then she has the same name as the cat?"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
I personally would never name a cat something that you wouldn't name a human. If you won't name your kid "Sprinkles" or "Buttercup," don't name your pets that either.

But lots of people would happily name their kids Sprinkles or Buttercup. They just don't (normally, though some parents clearly have no sense when it comes to naming their kids), because they know their lives will be made miserable by it. It's not like the other kittens will make fun of yours if you name it Moopsy.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:27 am Reply with quote
^ well we don't know that the cats could be making fun of each other over their names. Laughing

I did once have a cat named Samantha named after the Bewitched character. But as for naming cats after people I at first wanted to name my current cat, Jamie after a Doctor Who character but as I have a cousin named Jamie I thought that might be a little weird so I went with Mozart instead.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Great article. I've known about What's Michael? for a long time, but never knew what the jist of what the comic was about. I'd be curious to read it. Chi is a great comic. Once we get our DVD copies of the show I'm sure plenty of faculty, students and staff with small children and lovers of cats will be checking it out.

I can't really think of any cat manga than Neko Ramen. What a short lived title from TP. The anime was pretty funny.

I had two cats one named Sambuca and one named Shampoo. Both cats I sort of adopted but was not responsible for their names. Sambuca was already named by the previous owner. I thought it was a Japanese name but later found out it wasn't. Never knew how the name was spelled. He lived until he was around 12. Shampoo got her name from a friend of mine. I had taken on ownership when she was 4 months. I couldn't think of a name. My friend who was visiting was eating ramen. The kitten (well she wasn't much of one anymore) climbed onto the couch and looked into his bowl. He offered her few ramen stands from a pair of chopsticks and she took them and began eating them. And at that moment Ranma came to his mind and he decided to name her Shampoo and I left it at that. Every time I took her to the vet they often found the name cute and slightly unique. Thing is they're not going to get the story behind it. So that's an inside joke between friends with similar tastes. To them she's named Shampoo, to those familiar with anime reference it's s double meaning. She lived to the age of 14 in 2012. I'll admit living with both of them was an experience as dog person. They were my first cats that I owned and cared for.
Sprocket

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
Kind of surprised you didn't mention Osamu Tezuka's Atomcat, Mike!
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:07 am Reply with quote
My cat wound up named Nya (pronounced nee-ah though derived from the japanese onamonapia "Nyaa"). You seem to be doing fine.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
My cat's name is Emily and she's over 11 years old. Pretty much hates everyone except me and my mother. I still love her dearly though. She's been my companion since the moment we bought her. Hopefully she'll at least be around by the time I finish college.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3