• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Picks up Two Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Akukaze wrote:
Squeenix.
Is this a common abbreviation for Square Enix or is this intended as a less-than-flattering way of saying the company's name?

By the by, someone should update the Encyclopedia entry to reflect the changing of hands from Tokyopop to Seven Seas for the He Is My Master manga.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Akukaze wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Does anyone actually know how Seven Seas got the license for He Is My Master away from Tokyopop? (Wonders where adam_omega might be.)

There must be an interesting story here.

I don't think Tokyopop ever really HAD the license. They still haven't said exactly what happened, but between their press releases and talking to people at cons, it seems that they were in the middle of getting the rights for a whole slew of Squeenix titles, but they announced them prematurely, which made Squeenix angry, so they pulled out. The people I talked to would only get so specific as to say that something Tokyopop did "that really wasn't their fault" made Squeenix angry, so it might be something else.

The more likely issue is that they had simply optioned it. Even after a license though, it's entirely possible to lose it due to contractual issues, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case here. It happens frequently with movies in Hollywood. A screenplay will get optioned and get stuck in that - never to be made. Sure, the writer still gets paid, but it's in limbo. Since we don't really have the all the facts, TP may have decided to pass on it in the end. There is only so much that the TP reps can disclose, given they probably have NDA's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Akukaze

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Akukaze wrote:
Squeenix.
Is this a common abbreviation for Square Enix or is this intended as a less-than-flattering way of saying the company's name?

By the by, someone should update the Encyclopedia entry to reflect the changing of hands from Tokyopop to Seven Seas for the He Is My Master manga.

I don't know if it's "common", but I've seen other people use it. I think some people use it in a slightly derogatory sense, but I actually use it as a term of endearment.

Godaistudios wrote:
The more likely issue is that they had simply optioned it. Even after a license though, it's entirely possible to lose it due to contractual issues, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case here. It happens frequently with movies in Hollywood. A screenplay will get optioned and get stuck in that - never to be made. Sure, the writer still gets paid, but it's in limbo. Since we don't really have the all the facts, TP may have decided to pass on it in the end. There is only so much that the TP reps can disclose, given they probably have NDA's.

I don't think licensing a foreign property and optioning a film work quite the same way. It's certainly possible that they passed, but like I said, the TP reps I talked to said that Square-Enix pulled the license, if Tokyopop did indeed have it, or closed off the deal if they didn't have it yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Akukaze wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Akukaze wrote:
Squeenix.

I don't know if it's "common", but I've seen other people use it. I think some people use it in a slightly derogatory sense, but I actually use it as a term of endearment.

Godaistudios wrote:

I don't think licensing a foreign property and optioning a film work quite the same way. It's certainly possible that they passed, but like I said, the TP reps I talked to said that Square-Enix pulled the license, if Tokyopop did indeed have it, or closed off the deal if they didn't have it yet.

In all fairness, that's why I said it was more likely optioned. Optioning is a fairly common process, be it for a hollywood film, manga, or Matsuzaka being paid just to deal with the Red Sox. It's simply a basic process where money is paid to get first dibs (if you will) on it, pre-license. That's all I was getting at.

It's unusual for a company to fully license and then not follow through on it, which is why I felt that it was more likely that it was an option, rather than a license. That, and it's not as if we heard about a "license lost" in an article posted on ANN.

The nice part is that either company can quit and save face on an option. After a licensing agreement is signed, it becomes far more difficult because of contract issues. That said, it's very possible that Squeenix walked away. As to the reasoning behind it? I suspect that NDA's prevent Tokyopop reps from saying a whole lot about that.

Last edited by Godaistudios on Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:45 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Akukaze wrote:
Squeenix.

While I'm sure haters use it as a deragatory term, plenty of fans use it as well. I'm pretty sure I've used it before. It's just an abbreviation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2