• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Season in Development

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
This time if they add new characters could they also give them some reason to be there?
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I suppose either thing is fine with me as long as the the Japanese BD's come with English subtitles.

Agreed Smile I bought all the first season Japanese BDs and will gladly continue buying the 2nd season on BD if it contains sub. I surly don't want a Jojo Bizzare stunt when they released the first season on BD with sub and didn't do that for the 2nd season Mad
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. Just awesome. I love the remake actually more than the original, which is saying something.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Me too I thought they did an amazing job updating this and making it even better.

So this is great! The remake of the first season was awesome and I never saw the originals beyond this (except for the relatively recent Resurrection movie).

Akira Yamamoto was a great addition and they should come up with a reason to bring spoiler[Melda] back onto the ship again as a regular for the new season too.

The production values were amazing too, they really took advantage of the straight to cinema/BD releases.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Akira Yamamoto was a great addition and they should come up with a reason to bring spoiler[Melda] back onto the ship again as a regular for the new season too.

Akira Yamamoto was in the original saga, but a far cry from the 2199 version. The original Akira spoiler[was male and had much less presence in the storyline].

I'm hoping they bring Melda back too. She's a pretty popular character in Japan from what I understand, so I wouldn't be surprised to see her again.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:53 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
This time if they add new characters could they also give them some reason to be there?

They did have a reason: people wanted hot girls.
K'un Lun Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I simply can't wait for this. Yamato II remains one of my favorite anime of all time and I can't wait to see the 2199 (or would it be 2101?) take on that story. My only complaint about "Star-Voyaging Ark" is that the trailers teased so much (appearances by Savellah, Saito, and Admiral Hijikata), but gave so little (combined, they're in the movie for like 30 seconds).

I really hope the new characters (and even some of the old ones) get a little more development in the new season. The only "new" character who got any real background was "Yamamoto 2.0" and that's because she got all of Kodai's anger and angst (I think she traded him that harmonica for it Wink ).
stararnold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Nice to hear that the Yamato 2199 version of the Space Battleship Yamato will still continue on, but it is still a shame that there is no word on if the sequel to 2009's Space Battleship Yamato: Resurrection will get made at some time in the future. I mean, Yuki Mori's disappearance in the movie is still left unresolved.
darthmop1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
yeh, bring it on. I have been waiting for this kind of news a while and yet on the other side, I'm not really surprised.
Just this time it won't be like importing all releases at once but ordering one by one and waiting for each release :-/
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
K'un Lun Kid wrote:
I really hope the new characters (and even some of the old ones) get a little more development in the new season. The only "new" character who got any real background was "Yamamoto 2.0" and that's because she got all of Kodai's anger and angst (I think she traded him that harmonica for it Wink ).

That's not entirely true. Kaoru Nimii also had her background revealed, not to mention had significant character development. Yuria Misaki had her importance to the plot, but her background wasn't as important, so it was glanced over.

Short of it is, they've only got 26 episodes available to them. They only have so much time to probe character backgrounds and development, therefore they have to limit the exposition of character backgrounds to what's relevant to advancing the plot.

A lot of background character and technical information was made available through various print and web means as well, and most of this has been translated over at ourstarblazers.com.

stararnold wrote:
Nice to hear that the Yamato 2199 version of the Space Battleship Yamato will still continue on, but it is still a shame that there is no word on if the sequel to 2009's Space Battleship Yamato: Resurrection will get made at some time in the future. I mean, Yuki Mori's disappearance in the movie is still left unresolved.

If you read the full interview with Shoji Nishizaki, further Resurrection is mentioned as being in their plans (as is the live-action Hollywood Star Blazers movie), but their priority right now is 2199.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2