• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Attack on Titan Creator Urges Moviegoers to Check Out Live-Action Adaptation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
It's a real shame that it SUCKS so hard that people just don't want to watch it. It's also a shame that the director wasn't composed enough and decided to badmouth the critics for actually giving reviews of how BADLY IT SUCKS

This is Godzilla 1998 levels of BS right here
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Metal Fennrir wrote:
It's a real shame that it SUCKS so hard that people just don't want to watch it. It's also a shame that the director wasn't composed enough and decided to badmouth the critics for actually giving reviews of how BADLY IT SUCKS

This is Godzilla 1998 levels of BS right here
Funny, I heard the movie was good. Just people who wanted a direct adaption were pissed. The director does need to calm the hell down though.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
I won't say I can fully relate with the frustration of the makers of the movie. But since AoT is of a massive scale, we already have an idea of how much did they work hard; most probably harder than they have ever done before.

If your hard word gets spiteful reviews, you may find like a spit equals to your utmost efforts. So I think it's naturally bounded to have such outbursts. Though again, he blew his fuse too fast... He should've imitated Mourinho's style of sarcasm.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
What I don't understand is why even change anything from the source material in the first place? I know Isayama-sensei approved and even made a request for certain changes himself, but it still seemed unnecessarily risky considering how solid and beloved the source material was already. I'll still at least give this first movie a try once it's officially released here in the States, but I must say, I'm not really looking forward to watching it at all anymore considering what I've been hearing about it. I hope I will be pleasantly surprised.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
So Japan has their own Fantastic Four, huh?

That's cool I guess
PhantomVash808

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
No matter what they say the movie basically has a negative stigma attached to it despite many not having seen it, simply because it is not a faithful adaptation of the source material. I know I don't plan on watching it because of the changes they made.
Last week when I seen DBZ Resurrection F in the theaters, during the pre show Funimation announced they were bringing Attack on Titan to theaters by flashing the series logo and so many people in the theater gasped with excitement only to be quickly disappointed a few seconds later when it was confirmed to be the live action film. Pretty much the entire theater let out a big ahhh, which is pretty hilarious.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
I did see it, and I rather enjoyed it. I went in understanding that it was separate from the original manga, its own little version of that world, so instead of sitting there making comparisons, I could enjoy it on its own merits.

I also went in understanding that it was not a big-budget Hollywood movie, and that the makers were limited with what they could do visually because of money reasons. Sometimes they nailed it (the Colossal Titan was genuinely terrifying), and sometimes they failed (Eren titan looked like rubber Laughing ), but it was still fun all around.

So I guess one's enjoyment can be affected quite a bit by their expectations. Maybe the critics were expecting a perfect, on-point adaptation, so were disappointed. I expected nothing, so I was entertained.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:19 am Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
What I don't understand is why even change anything from the source material in the first place? I know Isayama-sensei approved and even made a request for certain changes himself, but it still seemed unnecessarily risky considering how solid and beloved the source material was already.

Let's see...

The original seems to take place in a European location (possibly Germany?) and there is exactly one asian character. To recreate that, the director would have had to hire at the very least dozens of white actors. They tend to be a bit hard to find in Japan. Put wigs and heavy make-up on everyone then? That's going to look extremely stupid. Then there's the matter of location. You can use CG for the walls, of course, but what about all the other architecture? You're not going to find that in Japan. He'd have to look elsewhere for that. You need both the budget and the connections for that.

Then there's length. The manga is still running and it won't be long before we hit 20 volumes. Movies are rarely longer than 120 minutes. Even if you make a part two, the amount of time you have to tell a story is still very limited. Things will need to be changed in order to make it work as a movie.

Then there's the fact that things simply can't look like they were originally drawn. Those drawings need to be changed to designs that work in a live-action movie and you can't go over budget. same with the actions. Some things can be really difficult to translate to moving pictures using living people. Making a drawn character whoosh around the screen is easy, figuring out how people can do those stunts and look good isn't.

Considering all the limitations, the changes seen in the trailers are understandable and probably even smart. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I want to and I'm going to go into it expecting to see a post-apocalyptisch action movie featuring man-eating giants, not an adaptation of a manga I'm reading. If I want to the former, I can just watch the anime.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote
I don't think changes are the problem, I think the problem is that the changes are so wide-ranging that it almost comes across as done by people who only read a plot synopsis of the manga, and then chose to ignore it.

When you're creating "replacement" characters, because the old ones can't do what you want, you're probably not being true to source...

Add to that the film doesn't look very good (visually), and it's not really an appealing prospect when the anime is very well done. Surely, Toho could have partnered with a foreign studio, and got a little bit more money for the film.
sukochi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote
I went to watch this last week in 4D and throroughly enjoyed it. Having water mist sprayed in my face when the giants bit peoples head off and so on was crazy fun! I really recommend it. It was quite gory too. I haven't seen all of the anime, so I enjoyed it as a stand alone movie and will definately be going back in September to watch the final part.

I can understand that some people might have wanted a direct adaptation of the anime, but I also see why that might be slightly boring because you know who would die and what would happen....this keeps it fresh I think. And there were definate WTF surprise moments in it too!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:10 am Reply with quote
sailorstarsun wrote:

I did see it, and I rather enjoyed it. I went in understanding that it was separate from the original manga, its own little version of that world, so instead of sitting there making comparisons, I could enjoy it on its own merits.

I also went in understanding that it was not a big-budget Hollywood movie, and that the makers were limited with what they could do visually because of money reasons.

If it was a Hollywood movie, they would have made changes too.

Tamaria wrote:
razberry_yum wrote:

What I don't understand is why even change anything from the source material in the first place? I know Isayama-sensei approved and even made a request for certain changes himself, but it still seemed unnecessarily risky considering how solid and beloved the source material was already.

The original seems to take place in a European location (possibly Germany?) and there is exactly one asian character. To recreate that, the director would have had to hire at the very least dozens of white actors. They tend to be a bit hard to find in Japan. Put wigs and heavy make-up on everyone then? That's going to look extremely stupid.

Well, they already did with Thermae Romae:

Tamaria wrote:

Then there's the matter of location. You can use CG for the walls, of course, but what about all the other architecture? You're not going to find that in Japan. He'd have to look elsewhere for that. You need both the budget and the connections for that.

It's movie sets and green-screen.

Tamaria wrote:

Considering all the limitations, the changes seen in the trailers are understandable and probably even smart. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I want to and I'm going to go into it expecting to see a post-apocalyptisch action movie featuring man-eating giants, not an adaptation of a manga I'm reading. If I want to the former, I can just watch the anime.

Heh, wait till Hollywood gets ahold of it and say that. Laughing
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:43 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
razberry_yum wrote:

Let's see...Considering all the limitations, the changes seen in the trailers are understandable and probably even smart. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I want to and I'm going to go into it expecting to see a post-apocalyptisch action movie featuring man-eating giants, not an adaptation of a manga I'm reading. If I want to the former, I can just watch the anime.

Lol, actually I was thinking more of the changes to the characters and perhaps overall story. I know it is difficult to compile so many chapters of a manga into just two movies, so I always expected some truncation to occur, but I'm actually hearing there have been changes to story elements that didn't necessarily need changing. All the other changes you mentioned are completely understandable, but the majority of them are more technical-based anyway. In terms of character/story though, examples of changes are there's now a more obvious love story involving Mikasa and Eren, and Levi doesn’t even exist. And it's those changes that I find puzzling. Of course it's all hearsay at this point until someone produces a detailed synopsis online. I mean, there might be one but I just haven't come across it. So it's rumors like those that has sort of put a damper on things for me; but again, I am still willing to give it a chance before completely condemning it.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:59 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I want to and I'm going to go into it expecting to see a post-apocalyptisch action movie featuring man-eating giants,

Prepare to be disappointed. he titans are barely in the movie.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
At least if Hollywood got this, they could make it a bigger budget version. Accuracy is another story.
sonnets

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Literally only wanna see it because Miura Haruma is in it. I haven't read or seen the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2