• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Japanese Businessmen Really Drink As Much As I've Heard?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that alcohol is pretty pervasive in my country as well (USA). As someone who doesn't drink for several reasons.

1: if you look up the actual info about alcohol, it has a lot of really bad effects. It has negative impact on the heart, nervous system, and liver. It is also carcinogenic, and can significantly increase the risk of multiple types of cancer.

2: I don't like the way people behave when they're on it. Why would I want to take something to make myself stupid and have poor motor control. Even if there is also associated euphoria, why would that be worth the other things?

3: This one is specific to me, but due to my line of work (chemistry), my liver is already working double time dealing with all kinds of nasties that I work with. You know how for lot of medicine and other drugs, things go very wrong when they're combined with alcohol? That's a problem that likely also occurs with a lot of lab chemicals. That being said, my exposure is low, but may be significant enough that even moderate alcohol consumption would push my liver over the edge.

As for other people, I guess other people can do what they want. I do have a lot of friends that drink, and have had a couple that drink heavily. I don't think it's the best idea for them, but I don't shun them for it (I think one of the ultimate marks of maturity is the ability to be friends with people where you disagree about things, even things that matter to you).

Like what someone else said what I resent is the expectation that you're supposed to drink, and the belief that you're lame if you don't do so.

The worse problem in my opinion is a subtler one. Other teetotalers can attest that it is extremely difficult to find opportunities and venues to socialize that do not involve drinking. Things being this way has significantly impacted my social life and social opportunities.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I turned 21 three months ago. I drank some before I hit that age, and I've done it even more afterwords. Several of my friends drink quite a bit, regardless of their age, and I never wanted to come across as a total wuss, so I kinda understand the pressure these guys have. I've never been drunk though. I'm on the thin side, so only six sips of a strong margarita will get me buzzed, but I recover quickly (must be my high metabolism). I know my limits. I don't do it that often though, only at parties and social gatherings where I don't have to drive. I could see myself drinking wine on my own though. Red wine in moderation is good for your heart and stomach.

With that said, most of my friends are cool enough where I can say no to alcohol while still participating in the party/gathering. They don't pressure. Same goes for my friends that smoke pot. I always say no, and they don't even offer it to me anymore, but I can still have an enjoyable social gathering with them. I feel like a wuss, but they understand.

If I was a Japanese salaryman, I'd probably just get a couple light things, and just try to make it last the night! Laughing
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
So if they take drunk driving very seriously, I wonder if they're lighter on underage drinking? Especially since college students and circles seem to go on a lot of drinking parties, and considering what Justin says about how Japan views drinking at social gathering, I wonder if the Japanese police and society are more forgiving of it?

I know that in anime you pretty much never see an anime character that's a minor or below the age of 20, at least intentionally, drinking alcohol. Accidentally drinking or getting drunk off something that's normally non-alcoholic seems fine though.

I recall for the Golden Time anime, the drinking and drinking parties from the novels had to be toned down a lot or outright removed since most of the cast were still minors despite being in college.

spoiler[ The fact that the two leads were also arrested for underage drinking, not just for stealing a bike, was also removed.][/spoiler]
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
2: I don't like the way people behave when they're on it. Why would I want to take something to make myself stupid and have poor motor control. Even if there is also associated euphoria, why would that be worth the other things?

Like what someone else said what I resent is the expectation that you're supposed to drink, and the belief that you're lame if you don't do so.

Something we thought we gave up in fourth grade ("Dare ya, or we won't let you into the cool club!...What, your mommy won't let ya?"), yet is a core fundament of the Japanese work ethic.
As for me, I'm disabled, so I can get away with the joke that "If I want to stumble and fall down on the street, I can do that sober." Wink

Quote:
3: This one is specific to me, but due to my line of work (chemistry), my liver is already working double time dealing with all kinds of nasties that I work with. You know how for lot of medicine and other drugs, things go very wrong when they're combined with alcohol? That's a problem that likely also occurs with a lot of lab chemicals. That being said, my exposure is low, but may be significant enough that even moderate alcohol consumption would push my liver over the edge.

I have a similar "lab chemical" problem, but it's more that the smell of alcohol immediately brings me back memories of all those burners in high school Lab.
And for me, anything that reminds me of high school is to be avoided at all costs. That ain't how I have fun.

(There's an old story of when Lewis & Clark met a native tribe on their expedition who, ironically, had never heard of liquor, and had to explain the purpose of an evening celebratory booze-up. The chief only asked, "Why would friends give each other something that makes men act like fools?"
From what I gather, that's the main purpose, but I have a natural aversion to acting like an idiot in any situation. You wouldn't like me when I'm an idiot. Twisted Evil )

Last edited by EricJ2 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:01 am; edited 2 times in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
I like to drink sake especially the unfiltered kind. Its basically the only alcohol I drink. If I partake its usually on Saturday nights because Sunday is my only day off. I lost the ability to work mornings (and I only work mornings) after a night of moderate drinking years ago.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
I'm just going to be a contrarian and say that I do like to drink, moderate to slightly heavy drinking doesn't impair me that much the next morning, I have good tolerance (see #2), I've driven in a slightly questionable condition on some occasions spoiler[thank goodness for side streets!], and I probably could keep up reasonably well with Japanese workplace drinking via stealthy pacing strategies. Though I'm not sure how well that would hold out if those drinking outings took place many times a week for many years. After all, I did decide to cut back to only drinking 5 days a week, as there isn't that much reason to drink at home alone on Mondays and Tuesdays.

MFrontier wrote:
I know that in anime you pretty much never see an anime character that's a minor or below the age of 20, at least intentionally, drinking alcohol. Accidentally drinking or getting drunk off something that's normally non-alcoholic seems fine though.
Broadcast standards were changed at some point, as you can see teenagers drinking alcohol without excuses or "G-Rated Drug" cop-outs in older shows like Kimagure Orange Road.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
Nomdrac8 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
As some one who refuses to drink on general principle, I need to remember to never get a job in Japan.

I raise a toast (of non-alcoholic beer) to you my fellow teetotaller!

*chugs root beer*
That's my addiction anyway. Close enough, I guess.

I don't understand the point of drinking. It's just intaking a substance to the point of losing all rational thought and potentially blacking out that can lead to harming yourself and others around you.

Can't wait for self driving cars to become mandatory, and normal driving illegal. Drunk drivers are a plague on society. Wish America had the same approach as in Japan, with the mandatory testing for addiction problems.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
There was a scene in Sailor Moon S (or was it SuperS?) where Usagi got blatantly drunk. It's never outright stated what she drank though, and I think she might've even thought it was juice or something.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Got nothing on South Koreans, though.

Yeah, South Koreans work even more and have even more suicide than the already overwork/suicide-riden Japan.

Both are bellow the alcohol consumption/suicide levels of Russia, though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cyclone1993 wrote:
I don't drink due to religious, moral, and health issues. So that begs the question how does one get around it? Because it's never exactly stated other than deal with it and try not to become an alcoholic...

Well, most Japanese aren't atually religious (many are atheists and agnostics) and many of the religious don't have an issue with alcohol, so... I don't think they think that much about it. It could be troublesome for anyone abstaining from alcohol.

{Combined serial posts. ~nobahn}
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
There was a scene in Sailor Moon S (or was it SuperS?) where Usagi got blatantly drunk. It's never outright stated what she drank though, and I think she might've even thought it was juice or something.

She did, twice, once at a royal reception for another princess, and once on cocktails for Mamoru's older college crowd. We never do specifically find out what it was, though.

Also, in the Romeo & Juliet episode of Ranma 1/2, where Kuno gets girl-Ranma doing a...good imitation of drunken-master fighting, a teacher rushes in and Kuno "convinces" him (at swordpoint) that it was just a bottle of really strong juice, not sake.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Quote:
"Drunk drivers are now legally required to seek a medical test to determine whether they have an addiction problem".

Quote:
"Worse yet, many people who are struggling don't seek out treatment, due to a social stigma that anyone who has so little self control is a total degenerate".

Quote:

The societal expectation that you need to drown with your coworkers in a potentially addictive substance after hours but if you ever develop an addiction you're weak or lesser-than is pretty brutal.

Logic be damned.

Societies barely ever are logic-bound. That's the unfortunate fact.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MadHi wrote:
So, even if I don't drink for religious reasons, I'm still royally screwed if I don't over there.

Most Japanese aren't religious, and those that are don't seem to care, so I think they might be too used to people not minding alcohol consumption.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ushio wrote:
'Looks at fellow British citizens'

Must be the traditional heavy fish diet that comes with living on an island, how else are you supposed to get rid of the taste of jelled eels and cockles after all.

That explains everything. Portuguese drink a bit too much, I feel, and we're a sea-bound country (not an isand, though).

Knight-Hart wrote:
I know someone whose wife is Japanese, and apparently her father is pretty much always drunk. Drinks before work, sometimes during, and lots after.

That must be depressing as hell.

{Combined serial posts. ~nobahn}
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:24 am Reply with quote
According to the OECD, the top 14 drinking countries are all European, and then 15 is a three-way tie between the UK, Australia and Switzerland. South Korea is 21st, the US is joint 22nd and Japan is 27th. No figures for Russia.

Kadmos1 wrote:
Because I take medicine for my Asperger's and ADHD, my (im)mature self can't really handle alcohol that often. Since I turned 21 almost 8 years ago, I have consumed alcohol under 10 times.

What? Medicine for your Asperger's, since when has that been a thing? As somebody who also has Asperger's, I thought it was a permanent thing that couldn't be managed with drugs...
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:32 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
I don't understand the point of drinking. It's just intaking a substance to the point of losing all rational thought and potentially blacking out that can lead to harming yourself and others around you.

You're certainly right about one thing: you *don't* understand it... at all. But then you went and said what you *think* the point is -- drinking until you lose all rational thought, etc. -- which is (most of the time) wrong. But, hey, I'm sure the view from that high horse you're riding on is just amazing, and it allows you to look down on so many people, too. That sure must be something. Maybe in the future you can tell us about more things you know nothing about. I'm sure we'll all find it very fascinating.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote
My experience: I grew up in a church where drinking was considered outright sinful. As my understanding of scripture grew, I realized that what the Bible condemns is drunkenness, but not actual drinking; by that time, though, I was already past the age where kids think alcohol is some rite of passage to adulthood; I'd somehow arrived there without it, and had no interest in starting. No interest in drink itself, in starting a war with my parents, in hangovers, in losing any degree of self-control, and...as I came to recognize my own tendency to overdo it on new things I begin...in the risk of becoming addicted.

All that put me in kind of a nice place, actually, because I could have a very strong opposition to doing it myself, without having to be critical of others who felt differently.

Then I came to Japan on JET (originally), and have been here for quite a few years now. Some people automatically expect me to be a "strong drinker" because I'm an American, but I've been very up-front with everyone that I don't drink, have never drunk, don't even know what beer tastes like. They're curious as to why, of course, and I tell them, but nobody's ever treated me like a party-pooper or second-class...er, non-citizen for not drinking.

There's a bit of an uncertainty principle at work here, though, because I know I get special treatment due to being a foreigner. Also, the school environment is no doubt very different from what exists in big companies. A former student of mine has told me about not liking to drink but being "made to" in college. I told him, "It's your body; other people don't have a right to tell you what to put in it." Which needed to be said, though I don't know if the advice made much difference.

As for my coworkers, I've seen very little in the way of alcohol-influenced bad behavior at parties. Some turn bright red, some stagger around. Most...stay pretty much the same. My 10-year high school reunion was far, far worse in that regard. I still remember the depressing moment at the afterparty when it hit me: "There's no one left I can have a sane conversation with."

I do think Japanese society is a bit more tolerant of individuality than the stereotype, but then again, I only see the side of it I'm exposed to. I do remember being told once that those who "don't" often tell people that they "can't." People are more understanding if there's a medical condition.

The drunk driving laws are really strict, which is appropriate for this culture. There have been warnings at work about not drinking and driving, because if a teacher or public servant gets pulled over for a DUI, it can turn into a big scandal, and undermine public confidence in the government or school.

Finally, somebody upthread mentioned places that serve alcohol instead of water; those are probably "snack" places; if you get dragged into one of those and want water or tea instead, you have to ask as soon as you go in. Sometimes my coworkers do the "afterparty" thing at those places; if it's karaoke I'm all over that, but I don't go to snacks anymore if we're splitting the bill -- 2,000 yen for a glass of oolong tea and a few crackers? No thank you!
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
I can confirm the cliche that Germany is a nation build on beer and you can legally start drinking it at age 16 (hard alcohol with 18).
I am also half Russian and that country is filled to the brim with functioning alcoholics (as my late grandfather) so i you can always top Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6