• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
See ANN, I told you Shimoneta was worth delving into and not just a simple trashy series about dick jokes!

Absolutely correct; it has its full share of pussy jokes, too. Wink

Neko-Sensei: Oh, I'm fully aware that there are logical issues in the foundation of the series that could tear it apart if you dwelt on them too much. (But you could say the same about 80% of anime series out there which aren't just slice of life tales.) However, focusing on that misses the point: that this is meant to be a cautionary tale against a specific concern, not an accurate extrapolation of reality. This has been a recurring format in sci fi short stories over the past century, where it's the concepts (and in this case also the humor) that matter. Hence this story is, in a way, following a decades-old tradition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else recognize the fairly blatant reference to the original Gatchaman TV series in the Shimoneta opening?

spoiler[The giant mummy whose crotch they attack is the villain from Gatchaman episode 3, "The Giant Mummy that Summons Storms"]

Makes me wonder whether there's a Gatchaman spoof episode coming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
...It's a comedy, it doesn't have to make that much sense.

Key wrote:
...this is meant to be a cautionary tale against a specific concern, not an accurate extrapolation of reality. This has been a recurring format in sci fi short stories over the past century, where it's the concepts (and in this case also the humor) that matter. Hence this story is, in a way, following a decades-old tradition.

This is certainly true! ...but only to a certain extent. Pure farce à la Monty Python or Excel Saga is a grand comedic tradition, and I'm more than willing to forgive anime its logical elisions where those elisions push a story forward or help serve a grander scheme. (For example, how did Escaflowne's magic light beam work? Who cares!? It got its characters where they needed to be!) But Shimoneta is not a pure farce; it's a satire, with a narrative structure. Neither half works here: if you have a narrative with consistent characters, that narrative needs to hold together internally, and Shimoneta's does not. More importantly, satire serves to illuminate the absurdities of its target: the total insanity of Anna's behavior should be excellent satire on this front, but the message is undercut by the fact that the narrative can generate that behavior only by constructing a reality so far removed from ours that the satire ceases to have any real-world grounding whatsoever. The discerning audience does not conclude: "yes! If people aren't allowed to express their sexuality, this is the ridiculous result!" Instead, the conclusion seems to be, "yes! If people inhabited a universe totally devoid of all reason, this is one impossible way people might behave!"

There's no such thing as a free pass for entertainment. If a movie, book, or anime has a clear ideological message to convey—and Shimoneta definitely does—then it needs to be judged on the effectiveness and skill with which it communicates that message. An excellent example is Evangelion: the TV show makes very little narrative sense, and of course physically speaking almost every scene is totally impossible. But the nonsensical universe is only a device to illuminate the series' true concern, which is the paradoxical longing of the human heart for simultaneous solitude and companionship. Our suspension of disbelief generates an internal truth... but in Shimoneta, the lack of real-world contact on any plane undoes the whole project.

But before you call me けち—I don't dislike Shimoneta! As pure entertainment, it's a heckuva lotta fun. In that regard, it succeeds, and of course you can't tear apart a comedy for ignoring logic in order to make you laugh. I'm only arguing that as a satire and as a commentary on a real-world issue, it's such a clustercuss that it has nothing to add to the discussion of censorship in Japan. It's more fun and intellectually profitable to laugh at the preposterous nature of its universe than it is to attempt to map its concepts onto the real world. On the ideological level, at most it can serve as a conversation starter, not a conversation piece. In short (oh man, I should be barred from using that phrase), I don't think it's missing the point to examine how Shimoneta fails to convey its message by constructing a reality that prevents it from commenting upon ours; it would be missing the point if I drew up a list of its narrative sins an then pronounced the whole show "unfunny" or (in the most useless condemnation ever) "bad."
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this show.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
I'm only arguing that as a satire and as a commentary on a real-world issue, it's such a clustercuss that it has nothing to add to the discussion of censorship in Japan.

I'm honestly beginning to wonder if that is intentional. The first episode gave me the impression that they were aiming for satire. Ever since it seems more and more like that was just the initial premise to get going and the real aim is to just be a ridiculous comedy.

Rather than actually be about censorship, I'd say the last several episodes have more focus on just trying to get the students to have sex. Even Anna has switched from being pro-censorship to just trying to have sex with Tanukichi. I don't even think I can say that the satire has taken a back seat to just being a sex comedy... more like hidden away in the trunk.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Neko-Sensei, you keep bringing up how censorship at this level is only possible in dictatorships, but what about theocracies? Religious governments censor anything and everything sexual, but a religion doesn't have to take over a whole government to do that; it just needs the hearts and minds of its followers. Do you know how many religious communities all over the world censor everything sex related, especially education? I grew up going to all girls religious schools, I knew of girls who didn't know what menstruation was until they started, and heard urban legends about people who supposedly didn't know about sex until someone explained it to them the night before their weddings. I just don't see this show's scenario as far fetched as you do. It happens on a very small scale everywhere in just about every fundamentalist community.

I've only seen the first two eps so far, too much to watch, too little time and all that, but I'm glad it's getting streaming reviews, easier to keep tabs on that way.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:40 am Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
This is certainly true! ...but only to a certain extent. Pure farce à la Monty Python or Excel Saga is a grand comedic tradition, and I'm more than willing to forgive anime its logical elisions where those elisions push a story forward or help serve a grander scheme. (For example, how did Escaflowne's magic light beam work? Who cares!? It got its characters where they needed to be!) But Shimoneta is not a pure farce; it's a satire, with a narrative structure. Neither half works here: if you have a narrative with consistent characters, that narrative needs to hold together internally, and Shimoneta's does not.

It seems to me that you're really referring to something else when talking about the "narrative" holding together. I see the narrative - i.e., the storytelling aspect - as holding together just fine. The world has a consistent and intact internal logic (that it does not mirror real-world logic is beside the point), its flow of events is steady, and the characters' actions have palpable consequences. What are you actually meaning there?

Quote:
More importantly, satire serves to illuminate the absurdities of its target: the total insanity of Anna's behavior should be excellent satire on this front, but the message is undercut by the fact that the narrative can generate that behavior only by constructing a reality so far removed from ours that the satire ceases to have any real-world grounding whatsoever.

Since when is that a necessity for satire? Everything that's going on here is squarely within the realm of absurdity applied to a real-world setting. Besides, as another poster implied, it's not like there aren't real-world approximations of the Decency Squad.

Now, like the other poster also said, I also agree that the series is starting to look more and more like the satire part was just the set-up. But we'll see how the next few episodes unfold.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
After seeing episode six, I think naked lab coat should be a thing, like the frequently used naked apron, though it is less subtle in the front if open. I do like yandere Anna, especially in the last episode where she gave Okuma a facial (gotta be equal opportunity). And Shimoneta is the only show that would have a tutorial on how to make homemade lube and...aids over its ed.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Neko-Sensei, you keep bringing up how censorship at this level is only possible in dictatorships, but what about theocracies? Religious governments censor anything and everything sexual, but a religion doesn't have to take over a whole government to do that; it just needs the hearts and minds of its followers. Do you know how many religious communities all over the world censor everything sex related, especially education? I grew up going to all girls religious schools, I knew of girls who didn't know what menstruation was until they started, and heard urban legends about people who supposedly didn't know about sex until someone explained it to them the night before their weddings. I just don't see this show's scenario as far fetched as you do. It happens on a very small scale everywhere in just about every fundamentalist community.

I've only seen the first two eps so far, too much to watch, too little time and all that, but I'm glad it's getting streaming reviews, easier to keep tabs on that way.

I may really check this one out. I was on the fence until tofay. I will check Shimoneta and Rokka out after this season ends, or maybe before that.

What you've decribed is pretty interesting, having in consideration thatI am reading a book that addresses (among many other things) the harm of religious education in sexuality, and ultimetly in Women's Rights and LGBT Rights. Essentially, the book is by the late author Christopher Hitchens: god Is Not Great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Is_Not_Great

PS: To anyone who has something to say about the book I mentioned. I will accept polite opposition to the content of the book, but will not respond kindly to rudeness, and specially personal attacks.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:39 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Neko-sensei wrote:
More importantly, satire serves to illuminate the absurdities of its target: the total insanity of Anna's behavior should be excellent satire on this front, but the message is undercut by the fact that the narrative can generate that behavior only by constructing a reality so far removed from ours that the satire ceases to have any real-world grounding whatsoever.

Since when is that a necessity for satire? Everything that's going on here is squarely within the realm of absurdity applied to a real-world setting. Besides, as another poster implied, it's not like there aren't real-world approximations of the Decency Squad.

I think he is trying to say that the show is basically throwing out a hypothetical situation and then making fun of that which isn't really satire. That is just coming up with a gag.

I don't think that is really what Shimoneta did though because as has been pointed out, there are examples of real-world attempts at something similar. Shimoneta may be incredibly removed from anything going on in Japan, but picking something similar to one of the most extreme examples, showing how absurd that is by ridiculing it, and basically implying that such an absurdity is where you end up if you stay on the current path is satire.

Though I still stand by my earlier statement that the series has switched from satire to just sex comedy.

Hellsoldier wrote:
What you've decribed is pretty interesting, having in consideration thatI am reading a book that addresses (among many other things) the harm of religious education in sexuality, and ultimetly in Women's Rights and LGBT Rights. Essentially, the book is by the late author Christopher Hitchens: god Is Not Great.

I haven't read the book, but I did read the wikipedia article you linked. Either the article is a horrible misrepresentation of the book, or you are giving a horrible misrepresentation of his message. I realize you said "among many other things," and I'm sure that stuff is technically in there, but that is like saying 'game of thrones is about incest among many other things'. Not technically false, but thats basically lying by omission.

From what the wiki says, I think Hitchens makes a great point though.
Caramichael

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
One of my favorite show of the season!

I agree about the all satire thing, this really is meant as 1984 and Farhenheit to show the consequences of a current possible evolution of the society.

Sure there are some borderline things, like all of Anna's attempted rapes, but i like that the protagonist (and the anime community) acknowledge it as such.

On the other side, for me the verbal humor is pretty weak but for me that's both a consequences of the censorship and surely of the fact that a lot of them must be smoother if I understood japanese instead of relying on subs.

But let's be honest, this is also a way for J.C.Staff to also go all wild (That episode 6 ed!).
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
As a bonus, with this, now ANN covers all of J.C. Staff's currently-airing shows Very Happy
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:46 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Key wrote:
Neko-sensei wrote:

I think he is trying to say that the show is basically throwing out a hypothetical situation and then making fun of that which isn't really satire. That is just coming up with a gag.

I don't think that is really what Shimoneta did though because as has been pointed out, there are examples of real-world attempts at something similar. Shimoneta may be incredibly removed from anything going on in Japan, but picking something similar to one of the most extreme examples, showing how absurd that is by ridiculing it, and basically implying that such an absurdity is where you end up if you stay on the current path is satire.

Though I still stand by my earlier statement that the series has switched from satire to just sex comedy.

Hellsoldier wrote:

I haven't read the book, but I did read the wikipedia article you linked. Either the article is a horrible misrepresentation of the book, or you are giving a horrible misrepresentation of his message. I realize you said "among many other things," and I'm sure that stuff is technically in there, but that is like saying 'game of thrones is about incest among many other things'. Not technically false, but thats basically lying by omission.

From what the wiki says, I think Hitchens makes a great point though.

I believe you're right. I must apologize. The book is about the history of religion, and its effects in society. Essentialy, through the use of the words of religious leaders, the acts of followers, historic analysis and the use of the religious texts themselves, Hitchen's, a notable atheist author, makes his full-blown criticism of religion, and even of many of the followers. Naturally, he points out the greatness of many religious people, but claims that their greatness comes from their Humanism, and not Religion, and that they overlooked many of the things writen in those religious texts they worship.

Hitchen's had a particular hatred of violence against children and did not take the subjugation of women and the LGBT kindly. As such, his criticism is sharp, and most of the criticism is related to either scientific inconcistency, historic innacuracy moral fallacies or atrocities, like female genital multilation, genocide, etc... Justified by religion. One of the points he made was that religious education led to unhealthy expectations and a repression of sexuality, which again he considers unhealthy. This fact, and the violence against women mentioned in the book, brought me to mention this book in the forum.

Admittedly I am 1/3 away from finishing the book. I have only seen mostly criticism of Abrahamic (Western/Middle-Eastern) Religion thus far. But I know that later on he's going to make a link between religion and Japan's expansionist policy and war atrocities (they did worship the Emperor as a God after all).

I apologize for my Obscurantism.
Gan_HOPE326

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:

There's no such thing as a free pass for entertainment. If a movie, book, or anime has a clear ideological message to convey—and Shimoneta definitely does—then it needs to be judged on the effectiveness and skill with which it communicates that message. An excellent example is Evangelion: the TV show makes very little narrative sense, and of course physically speaking almost every scene is totally impossible. But the nonsensical universe is only a device to illuminate the series' true concern, which is the paradoxical longing of the human heart for simultaneous solitude and companionship. Our suspension of disbelief generates an internal truth... but in Shimoneta, the lack of real-world contact on any plane undoes the whole project.

I see your point but I think it's not as serious as "undoing the whole project". As others mentioned, ignorance in sexual matters for young people is very much a thing. I distinctly remember having a surreal argument with a girl in middle school trying to convince her that NO, she did NOT pee from her vagina (...I know, right? I said it was surreal). And I've once had an equally surreal discussion - in college - with a dude who was studying biotechnologies and got scandalized when I mentioned evolution, because of course how did I not believe that God had just created Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden? And this begs the question: how the HELL does people go about studying these scientific topics while retaining such unscientific ideas? In fact, how does it work for example for women studying biotech in Iran (I met one, once)?

And the truth is... it kinda works, I suppose. Never underestimate the power of just learning things as they are written in a book without ever critically questioning them. Most people studies that way anyway. There's no doubt such a society would not produce much creative and scientific output, and it would enter a rapid decline. A more capable and knowledgeable satirist would have spun off this side of the tale as well. There's no doubt Shimoneta's premise has much more potential than what is developed on screen - but then again, so is true for a LOT of anime shows, especially when adapted from LN (this season, Overlord comes to mind as well). I don't think it's so unreal however. By filling the blanks, one would say that adults at a certain point are made aware of sexuality (or the already abysmal reproduction rates would plummet) and that means they also get to study it at college level if needed. It's going to be too little too late? Sure, and in the long term that would probably cause a decline of the industrial power standards of science and technology in this hypothetical Japan. But that's not something we would see from our limited point of view on a single class of a single school anyway.

Btw, now I want to write a fanfiction expanding on this Laughing .
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:56 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched it yet, but among all the dick jokes etc are they actually giving decent sex ed advice? It would seem to me that if it wants to be satire, in particular aimed at Japan's (Tokyo's) increasingly prudish education system that seems intent on removing the sex from sex ed., despite Japanese teenagers being more sexually active (& misinformed) than ever, then mixing that knowledge in with the humour would help.

After all, the system seems to be run by a bunch of old bores who see informed choice as independent choice, which you don't want if your ultimate goal of sex ed is to preserve the defunct traditional family structure & social position of women as virgin brides & baby makers. Does it address that in any way? Or is it just a bunch of kids making otaku pandering jokes while fighting some monolithic "man"?

edit: There's also a bit of irony with a show going up against bad sex ed coming from anime, which tends to be one of the most weirdly prudish things I watch; with lots of "accidental" sexual assault & treating (female) characters as little more than mannequins to be ogled, but anything more than kissing once at the end of the series causing the characters to have nervous breakdowns.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7