• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Popular Are Japanese Voice Actors?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
That Shirobako chart always seemed really off to me - there ARE seiyuu who make over half a million a year, but they're incredibly rare. That's like having a Hollywood Incomes chart and at the top there's "A-List Actor" with a photo of Tom Cruise and it says "$20 million per picture" when that's a deal he and maybe two other guys considered A-List would actually get. And nobody gets $20 million per picture anymore anyway.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
I would say that Nana Mizuki is probably a household name or close to it. But at the same time, she's the only seiyuu to have topped the weekly Oricon chart. .

She's far from the ONLY one. That specific ranking, sure. Maaya Sakamoto though, has had at LEAST 3 that I can find that made it to the top 10. She's had a #1 album.

I was actually gonna comment that Maaya Sakamoto was a horrible example because her debut was more as a singer than it was as a voice actress.

To me, the pay is deserved. The "average" to top tier Seiyuu are far better actors than their American counterparts. Sometimes I feel it's unfair to compare since they chosen by people that actually made the anime for that role while in America they have a much more limited pool and less diversity, but that doesn't change the fact that the seiyuu are just better.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
The A-list voice actors can set their own price (these are the ones with their own sizable fan following, and often a music career)
Unfortunately, the trend in recent years has apparently been to push out the experienced veteran VAs and phase in younger/cheaper talent. At least that's according to Kotono Mitsuishi, as quoted here. (NSFW ads/imagery at link.)

This makes me question about anime companies in the future and now. As I always thought that the anime companies would try to always have the original voices as much as they can. But this explains why some recent stuff, like Sailor Moon Crystal didn't have all their vet voices and the new Digimon only bring back the digimon original VA instead of the humans. Hate to see experienced VA thrown on the waste side to either save money or promote younger people for the lastest "hot" celeb trends. Can see this hurting wages down the line.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
The A-list voice actors can set their own price (these are the ones with their own sizable fan following, and often a music career)
Unfortunately, the trend in recent years has apparently been to push out the experienced veteran VAs and phase in younger/cheaper talent. At least that's according to Kotono Mitsuishi, as quoted here. (NSFW ads/imagery at link.)

This is sad because the newest batch of notable seiyuu and those rising in popularity post 2013 are giving me mixed reviews, I think these agencies are rushing in new talent too soon either due to their youth, it's going to significantly affect voice acting quality eventually. Most of the veterans have a good 10-20 years left at the very least and pushing them out of the industry before the 10 or so years are used up for inexperienced voice talent is not the best idea.

I also blame the fans as well, they are not caring enough for their old favorites who have more experience and are still perfectly fine in their voice acting and jump onto the bandwagon of the newest young talent far too soon once he/she shows up.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
That Shirobako chart always seemed really off to me - there ARE seiyuu who make over half a million a year, but they're incredibly rare.

In order to make ¥70mil, an actor would need to record more than 4 episodes per day at ¥45k each. Considering the number of roles top-level seiyuu have and that they likely get paid for their other gigs the number seems slightly more plausible.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

In the US, the only pro (non-celeb) voice actor I can think of being a famous "household name" is Mel Blanc.

If you stopped some random people on the street and asked them if they knew who Mel Blanc is, I really don't think you'd get all THAT many positive responses.
He's a household name among animation fans, but not really among people in general.

Last edited by Adamanto on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
@Kogeru

1. As Maggie Thatcher would say, no, no, no. This is *not* a sub vs dub debate.

2. Evidence or retract your statement. You have no evidence of such a claim. Given how subjective voice acting is and given how different the English and Japanese language are, the only thing you can use to validate that statement is subjective opinions. It's just your opinion, man. Liking a voice actor or not over another is never factual. I heard from some of my friends who speak and read Japanese that there is a lot of bitching about certain popular JP VAs on 2chan on levels that rival/exceed the self haters in the US/Canada/4chan. It's just an opinion, but those opinions are perhaps more valid than either of ours, since the 2chan posters at least speak Japanese.

3. Yeah, how is the JP industry more diverse?

Japanese English
523 Takehito Koyasu 390 Monica Rial
413 Tesshô Genda 333 Luci Christian
411 Toshiyuki Morikawa 311 John Swasey
411 Kenichi Ogata 279 Wendee Lee
409 Shinichiro Miki 253 Greg Ayres
371 Kappei Yamaguchi 247 Kirk Thornton
368 Akira Ishida 231 Brittney Karbowski
360 Kikuko Inoue 223 Michelle Ruff
354 Keiji Fujiwara 222 Mike McFarland
349 Tomokazu Seki 212 Vic Mignogna
348 Ryotaro Okiayu 208 Colleen Clinkenbeard 346 Nobuo Tobita 207 Christopher R. Sabat
345 Kazuhiko Inoue 202 Stephanie Sheh
336 Tomomichi Nishimura 200 Josh Grelle
335 Mamiko Noto 198 Michael McConnohie
333 Daisuke Gouri 197 Christopher Patton
330 Megumi Hayashibara 195 Tiffany Grant
325 Norio Wakamoto 193 Kyle Hebert
322 Takahiro Sakurai 191 Jamie Marchi
322 Wataru Takagi 190 Charles Campbell
318 Fumihiko Tachiki 189 Caitlin Glass
316 Akio Ohtsuka 185 Eric Johnson
314 Banjou Ginga 184 Kent Williams
314 Juurouta Kosugi 183 Chris Ayres
313 Yasunori Matsumoto 182 J. Michael Tatum
313 Ichirô Nagai 181 Leah Clark
309 Shigeru Chiba 179 Shelley Calene-Black
306 Rie Kugimiya 177 Patrick Seitz
302 Katsuyuki Konishi 175 Jason Douglas
302 Miyuki Sawashiro 175 Rob Mungle
296 Takeshi Aono 174 Brina Palencia
296 Nobuyuki Hiyama 173 Hilary Haag
296 Shozo Iizuka 173 Sonny Strait
294 Naoki Tatsuta 171 Steve Kramer
293 Yuji Ueda 170 Dorothy Elias-Fahn
292 Kenyuu Horiuchi 167 Todd Haberkorn
289 Jun Fukuyama 165 Barbara Goodson
287 Aya Hisakawa 165 Ian Sinclair
287 Sayaka Ohara 162 Scott Freeman
287 Toshihiko Seki 161 John Gremillion
287 Bin Shimada 158 Chris Cason
282 Sho Hayami 155 R Bruce Elliott
282 Kouichi Yamadera 155 Chuck Huber
280 Unshou Ishizuka 154 Robert McCollum
280 Ayako Kawasumi 152 Mona Marshall
279 Masaharu Satou 151 Cynthia Cranz
275 Michiko Neya 151 Dave Mallow
273 Jouji Yanami 150 Christopher Bevins
272 Cho 149 Anthony Bowling
271 Kenta Miyake 149 Trina Nishimura
271 Ikue Ohtani

I never understood the hypocrisy in this view. Complain about English dubs "overusing" VAs (as if it's a bad thing to have reliable, talented VAs work as much as it can) but when the Japanese do it, it's something to be praised, since "I like that VA" or whatever. Incidentally, none of the VAs that people complain about in English (I.E JYB) are on the English list and most of the prolific VAs are from Texas. Additionally, it seems that the "larger talent" pool is far more likely to reuse VAs, DESPITE the higher presence of VAs. Oh wait. It's a dumb comparison. One DUBS, the other does NOT.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
But this explains why some recent stuff, like Sailor Moon Crystal didn't have all their vet voices and the new Digimon only bring back the digimon original VA instead of the humans. Hate to see experienced VA thrown on the waste side to either save money or promote younger people for the lastest "hot" celeb trends. Can see this hurting wages down the line.
Sometimes it's voluntary retirement, though. Michie Tomizawa (Rei/Mars) retired from voice acting back in 2002, as commemorated in the Sakura Wars: Sumire special.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
How big is May'n in Japan? I thought most of the Macross idol girls' seiyuus made it fairly well as idols in their own right after getting famous through Macross?

May'n isn't a voice actor. Megumi Nakajima was a voice actor and singer, but is now just doing voice acting.

May'n has her 10 anniversary show at the Nippon Budokan next week if I remember correctly. She's probably better known in the markets where the Animax channel is broadcast (the ongoing Animax Musix concerts feature her and she hosted the Studio Musix programmes also). May'n was also in Animelo Summer Live concerts during 2008-2014, but GranRodeo (featuring lead voice actor Kishow), Minori Chihara, and Nana Mizuki tended to be the last artists before the combined song(s) at the end.

I get the impression that they all work very hard at their singing, voice acting and other things like radio shows.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I've always wanted to have my voice in an anime someday.

I may not have the most perfect sounding voice due to my Aspergers, but I personally wouldn't mind myself voicing some random character in the background & get paid nothing for it.

To me, it all about having a fun time & making my dream voicing somebody in an anime come true.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

So the fact that popular voice actresses can make 70,000,000 yen a year is a lie?

The seiyuu being referenced there is ostensibly Yukari Tamura, the second best selling seiyuu in the industry most years and often cumulatively outselling most of the rest of the top 10 below her either.

They also left out how relatively absurd the income can get for something like a top sound director, that has both a high degree of seniority and the ability to work on several shows per season.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Well i think it makes sense for VA to prefer making a career in videogames rather than anime, the fact that it is more marketable makes it easy for them to build a fandom or at least be more easily recognizable. Here in English speaking industry we have even seen some of them retiring only from anime. Nowadays It is fairly easy to find a gamer that can recognize a-list VA performing a role even if they don't watch anime.

And if they do a good job they can build a successful career, i don't think i have found a game from atlus since 2008 that doesn't cast jhony young bosch or wendy lee, if only as a couple lines as extras npc. (although most of the time they are lead role)

Bryce also seems to perform 7/10 jrpg protagonists
Troy Becker seemed to be an extremely demanded voice for videogames nowadays as well, to the point that almost every non anime watcher gamer can recognize his voice

I think one of the reasons persona 4 the animation was so well received here on the west was because of its cast being performed by top tier voice actors with a large experience on videogames
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
I've always wanted to have my voice in an anime someday.

I may not have the most perfect sounding voice due to my Aspergers, but I personally wouldn't mind myself voicing some random character in the background & get paid nothing for it.

To me, it all about having a fun time & making my dream voicing somebody in an anime come true.

I'm sure that's the reason why most came into the business, but it is a job for them and they need to make a living off of it. Those who can't get enough roles will have jobs on the side.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Justin states a flat amount per episode for payment, like a live performance, except that this is a recorded performance that is going to aired on tv and sold on blu ray, etc. I find it hard to believe that anyone outside of somebody getting their first job would sign a contract without royalties.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just me, but I see more continuity in the singing careers of those voice actors/actresses who have anime voice acting roles (probably in addition to) video games voice acting roles.

Japanese video game involvement seem to be more focussed around particular game franchises, whereas anime voice actors are known for a great variety of anime franchises that they have worked in.

Game music events don't seem to have gotten to the stage of being large events every year like Animelo Summer Live or Animax Musix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5