• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Popular Are Japanese Voice Actors?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
It's a real shame they aren't paid more. Japanese voice actors are pretty on the spot and good at what they're doing.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
It's a real shame they aren't paid more. Japanese voice actors are pretty on the spot and good at what they're doing.

Compared to the usual pay that American voice actors get that is mentioned in this article, they do.

While the dubbing is bad, I do recall a Greg Ayres panel on YT where he mentioned a story about how there was some role for NYC VA Debbie Rebbai that covered her rent for 3 months (I believe it was A Fan's View From The Inside - Greg Ayres - Anime Detour 2015" that was uploaded 4 months ago).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Debbie Rabbai, I remember...I first heard of her when I watch Agent Aika ages ago. I thought she fared well as Aika, as well as Akane Kamigishi from To Heart.
Wildcat17

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
But then we have Nana Mizuki.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:38 am Reply with quote
I wonder if "household name" in Japan too often means appearing in lots of television shows.

If one broadened the subject to include anime singers, many people would recognise Shoko Nakagawa, Ichirou Mizuki (and Hironobu Kageyama for Cha-La Head Cha-La).

The younger Japanese people also all seem to know of Momoiro Clover Z.

PS

In the J-Melo survey at https://www.nhk.or.jp/j-melo/nhkworld/english/event/20150729_research_2015/ they list Japanese artists who have had albums selling a million or more copies since 1988 - the only one I recognise from music of anime is TM Revolution.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:11 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
In the J-Melo survey at https://www.nhk.or.jp/j-melo/nhkworld/english/event/20150729_research_2015/ they list Japanese artists who have had albums selling a million or more copies since 1988 - the only one I recognise from music of anime is TM Revolution.

What about ORANGE RANGE? They've had several anime tie-ups including BLEACH and Code Geass. There are a number of artists on the list who've sung theme songs for anime.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
Nana and Maaya might rank up as household name female seiyuu, but I wonder what the male equivalent would be. Miyano and Fukuyama might be on that list.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

What about ORANGE RANGE? They've had several anime tie-ups including BLEACH and Code Geass. There are a number of artists on the list who've sung theme songs for anime.

Thanks, I'll have to have a listen to some of those songs.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Nana and Maaya might rank up as household name female seiyuu, but I wonder what the male equivalent would be. Miyano and Fukuyama might be on that list.

Miyano maybe, Fukuyama definitely no.

Miyano's been on a number of variety shows that regular people would watch.

I miss the NHK quiz show Tenka Touitsu. They would always have seiyuu teams and the seiyuu they chose to be on the show were really popular ones.
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't really get why people are so fixated with household names in Japan. It means nothing because the entertainment cycles change so quickly there. Maybe it feels like a sense of validation when a seiyuu for otaku media makes some name recognition for singing anime music.

I think in general Japanese voice actors are popular in some contexts that the usual celebrity problems will hit them if they make it big enough. And while extremely few makes it that big, the fact that anyone does speak volumes. Unfortunately this has also little to do with the existing system that perpetuates down to the rest of the industry. It's not like people like Nana or Yukarin made it because of voice acting. That is just one part of a much more well-rounded entertainer's package.

Until people understand the context of the bigger picture people will continue to repeat misconceptions about young seiyuu pushing out old ones or how seiyuu are paid and the work they do, etc.

CandisWhite wrote:

I might accept the argument that people, in general, under a certain age( Oh, let's say '20' and that's even stretching it in this 30-year-old's mind) wouldn't know who Mel Blanc was but anyone older than that grew up with this guy in the public eye.

Blanc was famous long before many voice actors could even dream of that.

http://www.indexmundi.com/graphs/population-pyramids/united-states-population-pyramid-2014.gif

I think if you drew the line at 40 years old, you would find that more people in America are under that age, and thus most people do NOT know Blanc.

I know of Blanc, but I'm an otaku/anime nerd so I don't count. And honestly by the late 80s/early 90s kids just don't resonate with that stuff as much, and thus it's not on TV so much either.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
I don't really get why people are so fixated with household names in Japan.
It's not like people like Nana or Yukarin made it because of voice acting. That is just one part of a much more well-rounded entertainer's package.

Until people understand the context of the bigger picture people will continue to repeat misconceptions about young seiyuu pushing out old ones or how seiyuu are paid and the work they do, etc.

There are excellent singers/composers of music of anime that might have very small live shows on their own, but they account for a lot of the richness and variety of the genre, without ever being in the "household name" category (I've already mentioned Lisa Komine, and would also include Kaori Hikita in this category). Seiyuu like Yui Makino, Yuuka Nanri, Eri Kitamura, Iori Nomizu have some great music as well as voice acting credits without attracting the following of the likes of Nana Mizuki, Yukari Tamura or Minori Chihara.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5