• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime cast-list entries suddenly deleted en masse?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsuukaku478

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Today I happened to click on the encyclopedia entry for the 07-GHOST anime and was very surprised to notice how sparse the cast listings were. A few years ago, I had gone through and added every missing role, including minor and unnamed characters (with episode precision). Suddenly the majority of those are gone, leaving only some of the named characters; I've completed a good amount of other very-incomplete anime cast credits like this, and am now checking other ones I've done to see if the same thing has happened.

What could cause this kind of thing? I'm aware of the data loss a few months ago where a week's worth or so of entries were lost, but I haven't seen a notice of something similar since then, and have no idea how something like that would affect entries made years and years ago.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't know when the last time you checked it was, but it's been with that cast for at least a year or two, so there's no "suddenly" to this.
tsuukaku478

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, ok. I must not have clicked on 07-GHOST's entry for a few years now, since I must have filled in all the entries at least 3-4 years ago, if not more. Does this kind of thing happen often?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Were they properly sourced?

It would be weird to have a contributor's credits all expunged unless staff thought they were spam or something.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
No cast entries have been marked as incorrect or otherwise hidden so if they were there before they've either removed by the person who entered them or there was a site problem at the time that resulted in lost data - this has happened on one or two occasions IIRC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
I've forwarded this to Dan.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
Actually I checked on this last month but forgot to post my findings -_-'

But that's because I found nothing. Meaning there's no trace additional cast members ever existed for 07-Ghost. Normally data is "deleted" by hiding it, but it's still there in the admin view. And while a few people have the ability to afctually delete data, it can't be done without leaving a trace. And there's no trace that data was ever hidden or deleted. It was never there.

I even looked at the possibility of data loss but the latest loss (prior to this year's Feb 7-14 disaster) goes back to 2006-05-27; every day since then has data submissions.

In 2012 you added cast for anime#11033, anime#6311, anime#10952, and nothing else until 2014. Is it possible you're mixing up 07-Ghost with one of these?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
tsuukaku478

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Thank you very much for looking into this!

That sounds conclusive; I must not have entered the data after all. The likely explanation is that while I did go through all the episodes and list up the credits for minor roles in each episode of 07-GHOST, I never actually entered that information into ANN. Several years later, I remembered all that time spent researching the roles, and assumed I must have entered it. Embarassed

Digging around into backups from my previous computer, I managed to find that exact document (last edited Sept. 2011, it turns out). Since a few roles are still in katakana, I must have gotten bogged down in figuring out the proper romanizations for a few of the names*, and got sidetracked figuring that out ... never eventually entering anything. I'm really sorry to send you on a wild goose chase like this. It looks like I'll be able to add that data "again", though! Embarassed

*Because the series has names in Japanese, English, German, Chinese, Russian, and French - out of the languages I can remember offhand.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I own the manga, and have watched the anime (it's on Crunchy), so if you need help with the names, post them here, and I'll check the official translations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1