• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ultimate Otaku Teacher - episodes 1-12

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Koutarou's transgender, but simply likes wearing girls' clothing. If Koutarou were, then you'd be using female pronouns and "straight on sexual preference" would cease making sense.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I honestly think a lot of people on here, maybe including the reviewer don't like the MC because he reminds them of themselves, except since he is a genius, he can solve his problems and go back to being lazy.
eventually.

obvious troll is obvious.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I honestly think a lot of people on here, maybe including the reviewer don't like the MC because he reminds them of themselves, except since he is a genius, he can solve his problems and go back to being lazy.

I don't understand why he needs to have some goals, he is basically a regular guy and wants to do what he wants, but him being one of the smartest people on the planet usually leads to someone forcing him to do something. So of course he puts in the minimal effort.

In the beginning (when I was reading the manga) I found him hilariously entertaining especially with his YD horseshit but that was fine because as you said he reminds me of myself and what I want to be, a slacker who doesn't want to do anything that requires effort but when I apply myself to something I can definitely do it. I hoped as time went on he'd eventually hit a wall it something even he can't accomplish and have to experience the "failure" that normal people go through everyday. He never did or does so while he started out as a very like able character he quickly became an object of resentment. It's much like how I felt about the protagonist of Sao, at first I really liked him dispite the clichés but the way they chose to develop his character actually backfired. I don't intend to drop the series but I sincerely hopes the writer changes the way he's been developing junchiro (or at least make the comedy far more entertaining so that I won't care)because he's essentially impossible to relate to sans the otaku part of him.
Suena

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Somehow it went over my head that this got a broadcast dub. I really wanted to like this show, and I consider myself pretty tolerant of otaku-pandering, but I just couldn't make it past 3 episodes.

If it's true the director decided to use this property to give new dub actors a spin, that seems pretty brilliant way to redeem it. Laughing
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
The first episodes gave the feeling like the staff & crew kinda phoned-in their work; dry dialog, uninteresting art, weak story and conclusions (the episodes about "The Human Cyborg" and Luce's arc were just...).

I do feel, however, that the show has shown some slight improvements during its 2nd cour. But given one's personal preferences, that impression might fluctuate downwards, instead.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Pretty fair review. I'm surprised the animation grade isn't F. I'm usually not that harsh on anime, but the animation quality is bordering on F for me.

It's a shame, because the manga was a ton of fun and there's a lot of interesting tactics the otaku teacher employs to get the students (and himself) out of trouble. The art was bordering on being very good in the manga, and in the anime, it borders on atrocious.

Just shows the total lack of budget. It's crazy the show is 2 cours long.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Suena wrote:
Somehow it went over my head that this got a broadcast dub. I really wanted to like this show, and I consider myself pretty tolerant of otaku-pandering, but I just couldn't make it past 3 episodes.

If it's true the director decided to use this property to give new dub actors a spin, that seems pretty brilliant way to redeem it. Laughing

The dub is defiantly better than the reviewer makes it seem IMO at least.

Antony Bowling is great, the line "You ignorant Pleb" is dropped in the first episode and it's great.

Mikalea Krantz does her best to salvage a poorly acted character in Japanese, you still get the feeling of Bratty little sister but she's far less grating that the original.

The rest of the cast does their best to keep the cast sounding good. I find that Jarrod Greene (Who need to get cast in more) suffers most, and it's not poor acting, He plays "Cyborg" but the animation is so weak that it seems like he can't get our the rage because of the flaps and poor animation. It's almost like he wants to yell but just can't because the mouths are so badly animated in some scenes.

Also Props to Apphia Yu who really does a surprisingly good "Bitchy" voice for the Manga author. Seems like She was cast in a lot this season...
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:

Just shows the total lack of budget. It's crazy the show is 2 cours long.

it's even crazier that it seems to be up there with arslan in the tv popularity charts (basically, making it to daylight anime levels)
Random 21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
^

From what I read, the show airs just before Conan does, and any anime in that slot is basically destined to get good ratings. Same thing happened to Magic Kaito and Kindaichi IIRC.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Ultimate Otaku Teacher does air right before Conan and has harmed Conan's ratings compared how it did with the two other mystery shows leading into it.
Taskforce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I actually kind of like Mikaela Krantz as Suzune. She definitely does a better job than Rena Matsui. I'm not sure any of the long time actors could have pulled it off any better. And we even get proof of that in the atrocious performance Monica Rial is turning in as Kanon Chinami (Anime Voice). This is by a landslide the worst acting I've ever heard from her and definitely the worst performance in the entire show. I'm not sure what the ADR is thinking by making her make her already overly high performance voice even higher, but it is in no way working and is actually painful to listen to when she has long lines, which thankfully isn't often.

As for the second half of the show, I'm not sure why I'm even still watching it, but I would also say that it has only continued to go downhill. There are a couple of slightly more distinct characters that come in but that is probably the only improvement. And not all of them are so unique. One of the new characters is so badly drawn (Madoka), that she would not look out of place in an anime 20 or so years ago. The second set also has by far the most annoying character introduced in the entire series. Far more annoying than Junichirou. That being Tim Berners Lin. Luckily, after her small part of the show, so far she hasn't returned. Unless the ending really pulls something great off (and when has that happened in recent anime history?), I'd definitely say there is no use finishing the second half of this show. It is just more of the same thing you've already seen.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
Thank god, I was getting worried that I was too alone in thinking about how terrible this show is. I have been keeping up with it, you can see me in the regular anime forum where I have made several or so comments about where the show's problems are.

About how the sister character's Japanese voice is "not very good to begin with" I think only lightly touches that she feels very miscast. In general I do not often go into that sort of thing, but it feels too strong to ignore how she sounds.

And it has been a big problem is the MC, where Theron got right into why I have often had a problem with him, his abilities seem to come out of nowhere and what he does is often unethical. A teacher should not even pretend to threaten to release students' personal information, itself coming across as bullying. A recent episode even had him use his power as a teacher to get revenge against another student. His actions in helping, teaching, and fixing problems in general all seems to be out of plot convenience, where it hides behind the YD thing to have things solved the way it wants.

The otaku bit itself feels a bit too much like pandering. That sounds like a no-brainer, but it kind of feels hollow how they swap him behind "otaku" that the world does not understand into super powered genius. The MMO episodes were perhaps the best, but how it was handled felt unrealistic and not respectful to the subject. And another thing is how I have felt that it does not respect the otaku subjects of the episodes. Oh how I drill the episode for being kind of ignorant about FPS that it tries to act like it knows a lot about.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
I can only congratulate and applaud anyone who has managed to continue watching this show. Whether you're just a fan or doing this for work, you have sacrificed a lot of time on something that is hard to argue a benefit for. I am personally proud of the fact that few shows I start I ever drop. Of the roughly 24 shows that started last season alongside UOT, this is one of only two that I outright dropped with no intention of ever going back to finish. I made it through episode 5 before calling it quits.

There isn't much more I can add to the critiques already made here. The only people I can imagine this show might resonate with are those who either have a particularly strong suspension of disbelief and/or those with a very strong Machiavellian tilt. Frankly, the grades this show have gotten can be considered too kind, as far as I'm concerned, but why quibble? You want a more recent life-lesson school setting anime, Assassination Classroom should be watched well before going for this unsavory show.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
The trap was the only good thing about this show.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Kyle Phillips is the ARD director on this one, I believe it's his first time directing, and he did an AMA a few weeks back on Reddit and explained some of his casting choices.

he acknowledged that he knows the show (Not the dub just the show) isn't well liked by the anime community so he decided since it was a weaker show he'd try using some new faces who have less experience. which is why the show seems a little weaker compared to the other broadcast dubs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Animedubs/comments/3ccee5/ama_with_kyle_phillips_director_adr_enginer_voice/

He also answered the eternal riddle of the relationship between Coleen and Bonny Clinkenbeard

That was kind of my guess when I took a look at the credits and noticed that a good chunk of the roles went to people who were new or had only done smaller roles. There is always that trade off with casting, though. The newer folks might not be as developed, but people tend to grow tired of the same voices over and over, too. I can't really fault the choice to use this show as a chance to sort of break in new actors, especially where the broadcast dub process is concerned.

I always assumed Colleen and Bonny were sisters. Between the last name and the somewhat similar sounding first names, it seemed logical. I never thought that they were the same person since it wouldn't make for much of an alias to keep the same last name when working for a the same company. I'm surprised that the people at Funimation didn't know, but then again, I had no idea that Bonny doesn't normally go into the Funi offices. I guess I figured people would know who she was given how often she appears on different credits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3