• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime for Grown-Up Romantics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
I have only watched two of this week list so I can't really say anything about it. There are a few more like the aforementioned Nana, Paradise Kiss.

Huh, is Paradise Kiss seriously not legally streaming in English? Maybe that should be a catalog show for Crunchyroll to pick up.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
So Legend of Korra is now considered anime? It's in the answer section for the new poll.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Man, good ol' Maison Ikkoku! It's a shame that Viz doesn't seem to want to ever re-release it and promote it like they're doing for Ranma, as I find Maison Ikkoku superior. Sure, it's a Takahashi trope to have people not just sit and talk to each other like adults, dammit! But it has an actual end and the romance actually does evolve (and time passes! omg!), it'd be nice for everyone if they let a new generation of fans discover Maison Ikkoku, like they're doing with Ranma 1/2's manga and anime push, but alas, no. This is why we can't have nice things I guess?

William's father is a merchant in Emma? For some reason, I could never determine how they were rich.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
So Legend of Korra is now considered anime? It's in the answer section for the new poll.

Somebody must have written it in.
It will probably be removed when the person maintaining the poll notices it.
This kind of thing happens with most polls that allow people to make additions.

My pick was Crona in Soul Eater.
I am not so sure about the manga version, but since this is an anime poll I think that Crona does deserve redemption more than any of the other characters that I am familiar with.

For the list the only shows that I have seen are Ah! My Goddess and Maison Ikkoku
I agree with them being on the list and with their relative ranking.
I would have added Ai Yori Aoshi between those two. I do not remember how old Aoi is but she is not in school, and Kaoru is in college.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Barciad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars

The way the relationship between the two leads develops is majestic. The genius being that this is classic 'them verses the world', despite the blazingly obvious fact that it isn't. And yet it is, since all that great power and status has done is make them both so very, very lonely. Thus all, they have in the end is each other.
And don't they know it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
[Do not use "black box" spoilers that give no outside clue to the title they're about. ~Zalis]
Birriaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
MOD NOTE: spoilers marked, parts of this post edited.

Regarding the new poll, I went with spoiler[Homura Akemi] from the Rebellion movie just because... damn.
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I was stuck between Kagura from Inuyasha and Homura from Madoka for the poll but I ended up going with Kagura.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Man, good ol' Maison Ikkoku! It's a shame that Viz doesn't seem to want to ever re-release it and promote it like they're doing for Ranma, as I find Maison Ikkoku superior.

As I already posted--although it probably won't show up till this post does--Viz hasn't "refused" to re-release Maison, they've hinted it could be next on the list depending on Ranma 1/2's sales.
Of course, that was before the first Blu-ray volume came out, and they're still probably going to dodge with "Well, nobody bought Ranma 6 & 7..." Rolling Eyes , but the dubs are there, unlike their hint that they would go the whole Trilogy with UY. And hasn't seem to have gone badly for Ranma so far.

Now, we just have to wait until they get around to the Ranma Movies/OVA set, before we can corner them into doubling down on their word.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Man, good ol' Maison Ikkoku! It's a shame that Viz doesn't seem to want to ever re-release it and promote it like they're doing for Ranma, as I find Maison Ikkoku superior..

I totally agree!!! Urusei Yatsura was always my favorite, and I'm really, really hoping they release the BDs over here. That and the Maison Ikkoku blu rays look absolutely gorgeous. I'm hoping with how well Ranma sold that it's only a matter of time for them.

Really appreciate this list I love more mature romance where it's not centered around the love confession high school crap. I always thought that was so akward how in anime its like so formal to announce you fancy someone. Had to vote for Homu Homu ;___; spoiler[Madoka was coming to get you to go to lesbian heaven, why did you do it Homu??? WHY?!?!! God I feel weird shipping Satan and God now O_o]
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I find the idea of someone being the "most deserving" of a redemption to be an iffy concept. I'd say almost anyone is worthy of the chance to redeem themselves. It's just that some people have to do more than others to obtain theirs, because their crimes, as it were, are more severe.

And again, as someone pointed out, it's just going to turn into a popularity contest anyway, where you are more likely to win if you're pretty/a woman/a child/have a sob story or any combination thereof.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Gajeel is already on the good side, that does not make sense. Some other villains are already redeemed, e.g. Itachi and Scar. Lelouch is not a villain; if you're talking about the Requiem part (spoiler[it's an act, he's a hero]). Light is too deep in the grey area. He's both an anti-hero and a villain protagonist, but he's not a full-blown villain, so I don't count him as a villain.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I just had to add Knives from Trigun to the new poll though I prefer the manga version where spoiler[he DOES get redeemed at the end.] I also have to say it really has some characters that should not be there, most glaringly spoiler[Uchiha Itachi, as he was good all along, just deep, deep undercover.]

As for the List, it was slim pickings to begin with. Personally, I would have added Natsuyuki Rendezvous.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I'd suggest If I See You In My Dreams as a romantic anime for adults, but it's such a bad show... the forced tragic ending, while admittedly well-implemented, would also be just too dang frustrating for anyone to watch.

But the same could be said for the rest of the she show. Don't watch it.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Toradora is far more deserving of being here than the travesty that Golden Time turned into. Only Yesterday is the best adult romance I've seen in anime form.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5