• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell Arise Writer Tow Ubukata Arrested on Charges of Domestic Violence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
[quote="Amiantos"]
maoyen wrote:
Might be harder for him to find a studio to do his work at first but there's always GONZO or DEEN.

Except the latter studio was fine, even if they didn't animate as much work lately. Dunno about the other though besides working on a single anime this season.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Hope his wife's alright...

She awaited a whole day to report the supposed aggression. Pretty sure she is fine....

That is not so unusual. She might have been afraid, or there might be some information we are not aware of at this point. Either way, this is a mess. Hopefully when the dust clears, the appropriate justice will arrive for all parties involved.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:21 am Reply with quote
I just hope it doesn't impede fafners future.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote
The important thing to remember is that just because you are being arrested on said charge, that person may or may have not actually done said charges.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The important thing to remember is that just because you are being arrested on said charge, that person may or may have not actually done said charges.

But the "best" judges aren't the ones in the courtroom, but those on social media, didn't you know? I'm sure there are folks to already "know" transpired, conjured an hypothesis of possible chain of events and "corresponding evidence," "verified" said "evidence," and are performing public execution.

I once heard a saying: "even if someone else threw the plate, you are the one with the stains."
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:41 am Reply with quote
I find that the best judges are the ones who actually have experience in the criminal justice system and whose job it is to do such tasks.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:43 am Reply with quote
More like he should be arrested for butchering Psycho-Pass 2
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
I can't believe this...for Fafner, I just can't. Please be innocent not only for Fafner, but your loved ones as well.
Wtv

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
The guy ruined Psycho Pass and GITS. I don't understand how these kind of writer wins so much prizes in Japan. Competition is probably low.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
I always thought he was a terrible writer, but it looks like we can add terrible person to that as well.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
There are some people who can always separate art from the artist. I personally think an artist's intent has a great impact on their work. And Ubukata's work tends to be dark and violent to the point that if he's convicted of violence, it will paint an uncomfortable parlor over his previous work, imho.

I also wonder how it will affect his previous work practically. Japanese artists with scandals attached to them tend to see their stuff disappear off store shelves (well, if that scandal involves drugs).
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
What a horrible man.

This raises an interesting question though. What exactly is Japan's stance on domestic violence? (obviously its wrong but I mean like...how often does it happen? do they have laws?)
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
I always thought he was a terrible writer, but it looks like we can add terrible person to that as well.

wonderwomanhero wrote:
What a horrible man.

This raises an interesting question though. What exactly is Japan's stance on domestic violence? (obviously its wrong but I mean like...how often does it happen? do they have laws?)

Or maybe you two should try to take the moral high ground and not be so judgmental? I mean we could just switch to a Judge Dredd system of justice where they just roll up and dish out the punishment immediately without an investigation, or you can sit back while things are investigated because an accusation doesn't equal guilty.

And no, Japan doesn't have laws against domestic violence. They just arrest and charge people with things that aren't against the law for kicks...

As for how often, a quick google gave me 1.1M reported instanced of DV in the US in 2013 versus 50K in Japan. So by that metric, comparatively, it isn't a big problem in Japan (though obviously all non-zero violent crime incidents are a problem). I'm sure not all DV is reported, but that will be true in both places.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
He'll be released without charges in a few weeks just like the Gundam 00 animator, heck a high ranking lady working for Toyota got released and sent back to the US after 23 days for drug charges. Unless you're owing some major money or it's murder, attempted murder, kidnapping, most drug charges, or rape, it's spend 23 days in jail and get out (or be sent back to your home country if you a foreigner).
CCTakato

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
To be perfectly frank, I find it rather disgusting people on this thread seem more concerned about the future of this loser's career than they are about the safety of his wife and the misogynists are crawling out to already assume the woman must be the liar here when you have zero proof she's lying. Yet people wonder why anime fans get stereotyped when you defend misogynistic violence like this. You people need to get over yourself and care about something other than the fate of your precious cartoons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4