• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Production I.G Acquires FLCL Rights For Ventures Such as Anime Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
why not just release a remake of Donnie Darko or a beatles album too while you're at it?

god please god no i hope this never, ever happens

You can't Gainax without gainax, and FLCL was lightning in a bottle that even the original team could never hope to replicate.
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see any point in something like a FLCL remake. Maybe a sequel but a remake just sounds really pointless. The original series was already amazing.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
A Remake isn't made because the original isn't well done, but because it is old and/or to bring back attention to the series to a new group of potential fans.

FLCL ended in 2001, so this makes 14 years after FLCL. This is basically 3 generations of viewers(assuming that in every 5 years a new generation of viewers appears). Given this, a remake makes a lot of sense(Gegege no Kitaro that is probably the series with more remakes, 4 of them, comes every decade).

The strange here is that Gainax isn't coming with Production I.G to make FLCL, probably a evidence of how much of a decline the studio has been. They don't even have strength nor intention of investing in one of their past popular series.

Last edited by bigivel on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't be strange for FLCL to return considering we have old series returning now. Gotta go with the trend.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
A Remake isn't made because the original isn't well done, but because it is old and/or to bring back attention to the series to a new group of potential fans.

Or--like George Romero remaking Night of the Living Dead in color, back in the 90's, or Pixar having to actually make the Toy Story 3 that Disney threatened to make--to gain/establish legal ownership of the title, through new original authorship.

Quote:
The strange here is that Gainax isn't coming with Production I.G to make FLCL, probably a evidence of the decline the studio has come. They don't even have strength nor intention of investing in one of their past popular series.

This project sounded so much like a "garage sale" (like Funi rescuing old ADV titles), I wasn't even aware Gainax was still around. Shocked
This can't be good, and I'm pretty sure Gainax wasn't thinking "Y'know, we should do a FLCL followup for a new generation, but the time just isn't right..."

Again, just consider this the Terminator: Genisys of anime.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I mean, I would probably get excited for it and watch it, but do you really need to mess with perfection?
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I just don't get it. There are lots of series that desperately need remakes or reboots. This is NOT one of them. Come on. Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, Battle Angel Alita, Kare Kano, Claymore, Fruits Basket... take your pick!

It's like remaking Utena or Princess Tutu. FLCL is one of my favorite anime ever; I can't possibly see how it could be improved plus no pillows = no sale.

RoverTX wrote:
[I]f I.G. can really do it, don't rename to "I can't believe a crazy sexy alien lady who made me fall for her as a kid and then took off showed back up again for a second round"

I love this. "An alien bunny girl and my big brother's ex girlfriend are seriously ruining my middle school adolescence!"

Last edited by Lili-Hime on Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
RoverTX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
[I]f I.G. can really do it, don't rename to "I can't believe a crazy sexy alien lady who made me fall for her as a kid and then took off showed back up again for a second round"

But you know they will, and Naota going to have some random super annoying/creepy loli relative living with him. Mamimi boobs are going to be three times bigger. And Ninamori is going to have her tsundere turned up to a 10. And I can only imagine what they are going to do to Haruko...

Chances are high that they are going to double the already rather large amount of exposition dialogue, if not quadruple it. Hell there might even be an episode that is nothing but exposition dialogue.

[sarcasm]I for one welcome our new childhood memory destroying overlords![/sarcasm]
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't really want or need a FLCL remake, but a FLCL sequel would be cool! Something that builds on the intergalactic side of the story, continues the story of the Fraternity that we see in FLCL and Diebuster, and of course brings Sadamoto back for quirky character designs, could possibly be a lot of fun.

I mean, a remake wouldn't SLAY me but I'm so married to the original that I don't want to see it changed one bit!
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
I just don't get it. There are lots of series that desperately need remakes or reboots. This is NOT one of them. Come on. Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, Battle Angel Alita, Kare Kano, Claymore, Fruits Basket... take your pick!

It's like remaking Utena or Princess Tutu. FLCL is one of my favorite anime ever; I can't possibly see how it could be improved plus no pillows = no sale.

Rurouni Kenshin -> Studio Gallop and Deen
Trigun -> Madhouse
Battle Angel Alita -> KSS, MOVIC
Kare Kano -> Gainax, J.C. Staff
Claymore -> Madhouse
Fruits Basket -> Studio Deen

None of those series have anything to do with old Production I.G. proprieties, so it doesn't matter if they need remake or not, Production I.G. wouldn't be able to do them.

Also remember, remakes aren't done to IMPROVE!
Is not about improving, but about bringing FLCL to the new audiences of this time.

This is a really old practice that exists still today.
Just next season we have 2 cases of old series remakes: Atashin'chi(Shin-Ei Animation) and Osomatsu-san(Studio Pierrot).
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I've never been quite as simultaneously excited and terrified at an announcement as I am right now. FLCL is what got me into anime and is still my all time favorite. Nothing any form of reboot could do would sour my love of the original work, but please be gentle with my FLCL loving heart, IG.

Also, the pillows have put out some pretty fantastic music since back then so there is plenty of hope to be had on that front.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
None of those series have anything to do with old Production I.G. proprieties, so it doesn't matter if they need remake or not, Production I.G. wouldn't be able to do them.

But FLCL rights belonged to Gainax, and I.G. acquired them. So... anything is possible. My comments were kind of in general though; it's like we're getting remakes but some of them don't need remakes (FLCL) and others are really obscure (Ushi & Tora)
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
wohdin wrote:
FLCL does not need a remake. FLCL is flawless.

I could imagine a very loose and abstract re-interpretation of FLCL, or even like a sequel/prequel, but for them to try to do a strict remake of it would be an enormous mistake.

Haha, FLCL certainly isn't flawless - it does what it does and I personally don't like it but can at least say "Okay, it is what it is.". I wouldn't even call it that great of a show, but again that's more personal preference.

I do agree it doesn't need a remake. All the FLCL is and wants to be is expressed in the short anime that it is - the interpretation of the show is left up to the audience and that's it.

I agree on the "it is what it is" part and that FLCL isn't flawless. FLCL aired on Cartoon Network more than 10 years ago and for many reasons it became the greatest anime of the late-night variety for me for quite some time. Although, you won't see me recommending FLCL as a must-see to today's kids (or anyone) because it's something that could only have been appreciated in its time. So I'm curious about how this remake will turn out.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
FLCL was kind of a product of its time, an early DIP show, that was experimenting with what it could do. ideally this new product would be

A, A sequel, maybe even spiritual
B, Made by Trigger
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
But FLCL rights belonged to Gainax, and I.G. acquired them. So... anything is possible. My comments were kind of in general though; it's like we're getting remakes but some of them don't need remakes (FLCL) and others are really obscure (Ushi & Tora)
Gainax owned the rights in conjunction with Production I.G; they simply bought out their old partner's interest. Beyond that, a number of shows you listed were adaptations instead of original properties, so the situation isn't remotely similar for most of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5