• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Assassination Classroom

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
I like to joke about this series being "To Sir, With Tentacles",

(And somebody must have done an AMV to the Lulu theme song by now...) Laughing
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
JR-1 wrote:
Quote:

some odious educational practices

What do you mean by this? I can't seem to find any elaboration of this statement on the actual review (I'm curious whether you mean the practice of the exaggerated segregation of class 3-E and their treatment from their normal teachers and peers, or you find some of Koro-sensei's methods are well-meaning but unpleasant)

The former. The principal's attitude and methods concerning Class 3-E are repugnant on both moral and ethical levels. And yes, I know they're supposed to be, but that doesn't mean that they don't grate on my nerves. Really, he's probably my #2 candidate right now for Biggest Bastard of 2015.

HaruhiToy wrote:
I am not sure if it is ever established but I had the impression the destruction event was not necessarily under Koro-sensei's control. Is that right?

If this was ever established in the series content, I must have missed it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
I'm too used to Sonny Strait as Koro-Sensei at this point. I can't turn back now! Anime smile + sweatdrop

Same here LOL. Along with Nagisa's. I thought they were both perfect. I'll probably check out the Japanese eventually but either way I already really enjoyed the show as is, glad there's going to be more. The simuldub kind of came at the perfect time since I didn't get around to giving the show a try until around then and I loved Sonny Strait's Koro-Sensei (I didn't expect him until that sample trailer) so I was good lol.

I think his overall performance was fine but I certainly agree on Karasuma's voice itself, it felt weird it wasn't deeper.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:
I am not sure if it is ever established but I had the impression the destruction event was not necessarily under Koro-sensei's control. Is that right?

If this was ever established in the series content, I must have missed it.

Obvious spoilers are obvious:
spoiler[In the full flashback sequence, I'm pretty sure they did explain that the chain reaction is involuntary. The moon's destruction was caused by a tentacled mouse, if I recall correctly.]
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Obvious spoilers are obvious:
spoiler[In the full flashback sequence, I'm pretty sure they did explain that the chain reaction is involuntary. The moon's destruction was caused by a tentacled mouse, if I recall correctly.]

They're talking about the anime specifically. Iirc how it is established early on is that Koro-Sensei will destroy the Earth if he's not dead by the end of the school year, because he made a deal with Earth's governments to give them a fair chance
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
I'm too used to Sonny Strait as Koro-Sensei at this point. I can't turn back now! Anime smile + sweatdrop

Same here LOL. Along with Nagisa's. I thought they were both perfect. I'll probably check out the Japanese eventually but either way I already really enjoyed the show as is, glad there's going to be more. The simuldub kind of came at the perfect time since I didn't get around to giving the show a try until around then and I loved Sonny Strait's Koro-Sensei (I didn't expect him until that sample trailer) so I was good lol.

Yep! By episode 2, I was SOLD on Sonny Strait as Koro-Sensei. I DID watch the first episode in Japanese when it premiered, and... Jun Fukuyama's performance kinda annoyed actually (which may have been the point). His tone of voice didn't jell with me, personally. So when I heard Sonny Strait as Koro-Sensei, I preferred it quite a bit. The way he plays the character has me smiling constantly, so... I'm sticking with it Smile
I might give the Japanese version another shot down the line, though Razz

And yeah, Lindsey Seidel as Nagisa really IS perfect.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I love Assassination Classroom, and I can't wait for some of my favorite arcs in the manga to be animated in the 2nd Season.

The sad part is that they may be cramming too much in order to get to the more important arcs, and thus leave out all the Limelight moments for specific students (e.g. Kataoka, Maerhara, and Suguya all had their focus chapters cut out of the first season anime.) I'm crossing my fingers for an unlikely set of OVAs to include these chapters, but deep down I know it won't happen.

Both Sonny Strait and Jun Fukuyama make excellent Koro-Senseis. Though personally I feel that Sonny makes a better "Funny" Koro-Sensei, while Fukuyama is better at "Angry" Koro-Sensei.

Lindsey Siedal is great, but no credit to Karma's VA Austin Tindle? I thought he was fantastic (definitely an improvement from his first role of Accelerator, who coincidentally Karma's Seiyuu also voiced.) He had that lazy and sarcastic tone, but it had that underlying feeling that something wasn't right with him.

I also give props to the minor students English VAs. A lot of them were fresh green horns whose previous roles were mostly background or very minor, and I thought a lot of them were fine (with maybe the exception of Okano's VA who had moments of weird delivery, which could just be her way of talking.)

I actually like Chris Ryan as Karasuma- it wasn't deep, but it had a "rough and gravally" tone to it. It's hard to explain, but he sounded like a guy who seriously needed a break from his job. And given Karasuma and the circumstances- he definitely does.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:08 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Jun Fukuyama's performance as Koro-sensei is that good, huh? Damn. And I've been enjoying Sonny Strait's performance as the character a lot so far. Neutral

true,but in this case the reviewer is dead on when it came to the dub voice for koro. personally they should have used the VA that voiced Chamo from Negima.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Fukuyama get some props in the review. I saw the live-action movie on a plane earlier this year and Ninomiya's Koro-sensei just didn't do it for me. Not enough in the "nurufufufu" maybe.

From the bits and pieces I've heard of Onosaka Masaya's performance of Koro-sensei from the Vomic, he sounds really good too. I was actually slightly disappointed that he wouldn't be reprising the role when the anime was announced, but Fukuyama definitely exceeded my expectations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2