• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Male Teen Arrested for Threatening Love Live! Fans on Twitter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
americananimotk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:35 am Reply with quote
Just last week two guys were arrested after making threats towards the Pokemon World Championships in Boston as they were trying to get onto the event's grounds. I guess kooks aren't limited to the U.S.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
What's with all the idiots using Twitter to make threats lately?

The downside to Twitter is that it exposes all the narcissism, nepotism, and whatever else is wrong with people nowadays. Since everybody will probably follow you if you say or threaten something outrageous, that's how you get your 15 minutes. Very unfortunate that this company is a publicly traded company too. On the bright side, those idiotic enough to post these threats and whatever trash just gets them on the wrong side of the law, and bars.

I don't know anything about Love Live, but if it's anything like AKB48, then I stay away from it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wildcat17

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
And a new Kira ir born.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
No Waifu No Laifu.

But nah seriously, this kid's retarded.

They should make a manga/LN with this title.
Jakerams

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
I personally enjoyed love live but it's definitely not worth worshiping or exterminating.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
OK, I've been alive for a few decades now. I still haven't found an answer to this question: Why are people so stupid?

We've had social media long enough to know that there is a possibility that your online actions will have consequences.

This guy is probably not running on all cylinders upstairs, so in his case it's just a bunch of irrational thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
I'm positive he isn't a hired assassin who was hired by the One Piece group after the OP-LL debate.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
that's about as stupid as the boston incident with the pokemon championship

No, it isn't. The two aren't even remotely close to the same level. This guy took a picture of a knife in presumably his own kitchen. Those other two actually took a shotgun, assault rifle, and ammo in their car to an event in another state after making their threat.

This guy I wouldn't even give a second thought to if he didn't post the image of a knife. Even with that, I'm still heavily leaning towards him venting while not intending to act on it (though I think the police taking it seriously is the proper move).

The potential pokemon shooters not only made a threat, but their actions heavily suggest intent to make good on it. Far, far more serious than some twitter user acting like an internet tough guy from the safety of his own kitchen.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
The suspect said:
Quote:
"I like the anime too, but I hated how badly other fans behaved."
Sorry to break it to you bud. But you're not exactly what I'd call the voice of reason in this situation.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:

No, it isn't. The two aren't even remotely close to the same level. This guy took a picture of a knife in presumably his own kitchen. Those other two actually took a shotgun, assault rifle, and ammo in their car to an event in another state after making their threat.

This guy I wouldn't even give a second thought to if he didn't post the image of a knife. Even with that, I'm still heavily leaning towards him venting while not intending to act on it (though I think the police taking it seriously is the proper move).

The potential pokemon shooters not only made a threat, but their actions heavily suggest intent to make good on it. Far, far more serious than some twitter user acting like an internet tough guy from the safety of his own kitchen.

You can still hurt a lot of people with a knife. Not as many as with a gun, perhaps, but the two situations are quite similar. Somebody went online, made threats against strangers that the believed wronged them, and had access to the means to act on those threats. Venting is one thing, but posting that you want to kill people and showing yourself with a weapon goes beyond that. It is a tricky legal question regarding how close to the actual crime do you have to be for there to clearly be intent, but I'm not so sure that I'd draw the line at showing up a an event with easy access to weapons.

This kid clearly lost track of logic at some point. He is mad about the behavior of some fans, so his reaction is to behave even worse?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
You can still hurt a lot of people with a knife. Not as many as with a gun, perhaps, but the two situations are quite similar.

No, they're very much not similar. Sure, you can hurt a lot of people with a knife. That isn't relevant to the point. What makes the two incidents completely different is not the type of weapon involved. What makes them completely different is displayed intent. One guy was making angry threats from his house. The other two guys made threats, but then they also packed up their weapons and drove to another state where the people were that they threatened at which point they were arrested.

Regardless of where you want to draw the legal line, the amount of intent displayed in each of these cases is drastically different.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
Why are people just getting dumber with twitter and hope they lock him up in the crazy house for a while to fix that brain of his
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
You can still hurt a lot of people with a knife. Not as many as with a gun, perhaps, but the two situations are quite similar.

No, they're very much not similar. Sure, you can hurt a lot of people with a knife. That isn't relevant to the point. What makes the two incidents completely different is not the type of weapon involved. What makes them completely different is displayed intent. One guy was making angry threats from his house. The other two guys made threats, but then they also packed up their weapons and drove to another state where the people were that they threatened at which point they were arrested.

Regardless of where you want to draw the legal line, the amount of intent displayed in each of these cases is drastically different.

I guess we'll have to disagree there. If anything, I'd say it is good that authorities got involved before there was even a chance to make good on the threats. Do you really expect that they should wait until he possibly shows up at a Love Live event with a weapon before he is taken seriously? By then, it could very well be too late. The two situations have quite a bit in common, with the main difference being when the arrest was made. I don't think I'd give somebody the benefit of the doubt just because police stepped in sooner rather than later.

As you seem to have missed, I went on to explain the similarities. Both made threats of violence against other people on social media, both made reference to weapons that they might use against those people, both had easy access to those weapons. It went well beyond venting when he said he wanted to kill people and showed himself with the means to make good on what he said. Venting would be complaining about other fans' behavior, it is not posting a photo of yourself with a knife right after saying you want certain people dead.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:

The potential Pokemon shooters not only made a threat, but their actions heavily suggest intent to make good on it. Far, far more serious than some twitter user acting like an internet tough guy from the safety of his own kitchen.

I'm glad that all of these attempted murderers got caught before any action. I really wish that the Pokemon guys were as foolishly brazen about their crime beforehand, because they were a lot closer to carrying out a massacre.

We don't know his thought process, but I think his was to threaten. The Pokemon guys did not want anyone to know, and they wanted to cause a lot of pain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
What's with all the idiots using Twitter to make threats lately?

The downside to Twitter is that it exposes all the narcissism, nepotism, and whatever else is wrong with people nowadays. Since everybody will probably follow you if you say or threaten something outrageous, that's how you get your 15 minutes. Very unfortunate that this company is a publicly traded company too. On the bright side, those idiotic enough to post these threats and whatever trash just gets them on the wrong side of the law, and bars.

I don't know anything about Love Live, but if it's anything like AKB48, then I stay away from it.

Yup, and as this current generation accepts this as the "new norm" another term I dislike, wait till they start having kids with their narcissism, nepotism and whatever else is wrong with people nowadays as the socially accepted norms.

And, this describes exactly what I've been saying about "otaku" for years on here. Those over-obsessive fans who will close down an entire block to protest last night's episode of LL or AoT.

OTOH, being dumb enough to post threats against otaku make this nutter no better. And, considering how Japanese youth are these days and with a major uptick in bizarre crime, lord only knows what he would do when he becomes a 40 year old unemployed parasite single and snaps; another new norm in Japanese society.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5