• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Male Teen Arrested for Threatening Love Live! Fans on Twitter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I guess we'll have to disagree there. If anything, I'd say it is good that authorities got involved before there was even a chance to make good on the threats. Do you really expect that they should wait until he possibly shows up at a Love Live event with a weapon before he is taken seriously?

No, and if you read my initial post, you would see that I said it was a good move for the police to get involved with this.

Greed1914 wrote:
The two situations have quite a bit in common, with the main difference being when the arrest was made.

No, the main difference would be what they were arrested for which points out the difference very clearly imo. "Suspicion of forcible obstruction of business" or illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition, which sounds more like an imminent threat?

Greed1914 wrote:
I don't think I'd give somebody the benefit of the doubt just because police stepped in sooner rather than later.

Who said anything about that... both had police intervention before anyone was hurt, and I'm certainly not suggesting there was a problem with that in either case.

Greed1914 wrote:
As you seem to have missed, I went on to explain the similarities. Both made threats of violence against other people on social media, both made reference to weapons that they might use against those people, both had easy access to those weapons.

I read what you posted, but you ignored important facts. One never left the kitchen and is an item pretty much everyone has. If the guy posted a picture of him in a bathroom at a Love Live concert or something, then the two would be similar. While having a gun isn't that uncommon, having an assault rifle is.

Again though you are missing the key difference. In this case the weapon presumably stayed in his house and there is no indication he had done any actions related to making good on his threat. In the pokemon guys cases, they carried the weapons across state lines by which they committed a felony that would be necessary for them to make good on their threat.

So we have:
1. A threat on social media with a household weapon that never left the house
2. A threat on social media with weapons illegally taken to the location where the threatened individual was located

I have absolutely no idea how you can claim those are on the same level... That is equivalent to saying the pokemon guys are on the same level as the movie theater shooter. The movie theater shooter was just a step further along which according to you makes them the same. Which is obviously a load of crap. One step makes a gigantic difference.
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
I'm glad that this guy was stopped and no one was harmed but this highlights a very serious problem that seems to happen a lot within this fandom.

I preface this by saying I'm a huge anime/Love Live fan but I've never bothered to join any community but I've seen a lot of posts on many sites/threads/forums etc... and for as much good as this fandom has there is a lot of bad. (Please do not read this as me pointing out anyone specifically here I'm just sharing my opinions as an outside fan who's read my share of comments, news etc.. over the years)

Whether it's Over zealous fans attacking others who don't share their view, the "Anime X is crap you should feel bad" crowd, the "lol at watching dubs" comments, the back and forth fighting and constantly going on about what you hate instead of talking about what you love and the many various other things that you see.

I just don't understand why the amount of constant hate, zealousness, and attacks of others likes/dislikes still exists to the degree it does today whether its from Japanese fans or western fans.

Passion and love for a series or preference is fine to have and people are allowed to have discourse but it just seems like too much of the time people take things to the extreme which is really unfortunate.

Sorry for my ranting haha

The online community for anime has a lot of problems these days that have kind of served to earn it the label of being full of social outcasts. It's stubborn refusal to often recognize it's own shortcomings has kind of snowballed over time and lately it feels like it's kind of been boiling over just about anywhere you go. The one phenomenon I find funniest is that it often seems to be the most low key laid back and positive shows that inspire the most angry and militant fan groups. If there is such a thing as Iyashikei anime than it's really not doing it's job all that well and seems to attract or possibly even foster some unbalanced people who get way too defensive, personal and sometimes aggressive over again what they argue are supposed to be healing calming anime.

I mean this is a franchise with peppy ultra positive smiling schoolgirls in what is essentially a school spirit glee club singing things like Sunny Day Song, This Is Our Miracle and Oh Love & Peace. Confused
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that the kid was arrested before something worst happens.

But I wonder what Love Live! hardcore fans would think of themselves in 20 or 30 years from today... Would they think of themselves as idiots or would they be proud of themselves for having every piece of merchandise from that anime?
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
OK, I've been alive for a few decades now. I still haven't found an answer to this question: Why are people so stupid?

We've had social media long enough to know that there is a possibility that your online actions will have consequences.

This guy is probably not running on all cylinders upstairs, so in his case it's just a bunch of irrational thoughts.

Every year children are born, and at some point they go online. I'm no kid anymore, but I can safely say I did routinely stupid stuff years after I went online regularly. Kids and those with deficient mental capabilities are out there. Just think, we've got Billions of people on the planet, the actual violent crime rates have been falling and falling. Now the unhinged folks are even telegraphing how insane they are well in advance of an attack, further reducing the bad things that actually make it into reality. Also a bit of alcohol or other popular substances can greatly increase the chance of saying dumb shit online.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
What's with all the idiots using Twitter to make threats lately?

The downside to Twitter is that it exposes all the narcissism, nepotism, and whatever else is wrong with people nowadays. Since everybody will probably follow you if you say or threaten something outrageous, that's how you get your 15 minutes. Very unfortunate that this company is a publicly traded company too. On the bright side, those idiotic enough to post these threats and whatever trash just gets them on the wrong side of the law, and bars.

I don't know anything about Love Live, but if it's anything like AKB48, then I stay away from it.

People don't realize that if they post bad shit like death threats on Twitter, it's more than likely they'll get caught.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:
I'm going to one of the Love Live movie openings here in the states on the 12th. I hope I'm not knifed to death. Or anythinged to death, really.

Definetly, I am going to one of the showings as well. There has been a long string of Movie-Theater Assaults. Please someone do not carry on this boy`s will.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
So is there a plot or is it just tits?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

Don't see the difference in the question. Tits are plot. Same as explosions. Very Happy
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

If you're looking for fanservice in Love Live! you won't find much. It's basically like K-on! Nothing overt, but one of the characters if fond of grabbing other girl's boobs over their clothes (because sexual assault is comedy! >.>) It's basically for the fans of teen jpop idols. Cute girls doing cute things etc., usual moe thing.

chito895 wrote:
But I wonder what Love Live! hardcore fans would think of themselves in 20 or 30 years from today...

Look at K-on & Haruhi. There's your answer.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
People don't realize that if they post bad shit like death threats on Twitter, it's more than likely they'll get caught.

It's even more amazing when people post death threats or illegal things on their Facebook. I mean... that's usually got your real name and place of employment on there just why?? O.o

This kid seemed a bit mentally unstable. Hopefully this incident will allow him get the help he needs. I wonder if mental health is as stigmatized in Japan is it is here? It sounds like he felt lonely, isolated and rejected by others who shared his interest. I hope he gets better Sad
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:01 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:

Nothing overt, but one of the characters if fond of grabbing other girl's boobs over their clothes (because sexual assault is comedy! >.>)

If it's between girls, it's not illegal!

Lili-Hime wrote:

This kid seemed a bit mentally unstable. Hopefully this incident will allow him get the help he needs. I wonder if mental health is as stigmatized in Japan is it is here?

They don't talk about it. See no evil; hear no evil. Out of state; out of mind. Not something ya can't get over with a bit more ganbatte!
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Lili-Hime wrote:

Nothing overt, but one of the characters if fond of grabbing other girl's boobs over their clothes (because sexual assault is comedy! >.>)

It sure is! O.o I'd still feel violated if a girl touched my boobs without my consent same as if a guy did. I'd probably be more forgiving of a girl in case of accidents but Nozomi comes off as being really creepy... I mean she threatens girls with groping them if they don't do what she says D:
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

It sure is! O.o I'd still feel violated if a girl touched my boobs without my consent same as if a guy did.

It's tongue in cheek, Lil.

Kinda like that South Park episode when it's like this, it's not illegal but rather the policemen say "Nice" instead Laughing

leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:
People who scatter leaflets in the theater and step on them need to die? What?

I came here to say just that, its such a bizarrely specific analogy I don't even know what it means.

Maybe he used to hand out leaflets somewhere.

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
anyway.. it's nice isn't it? posted a threat on twitter with a knife (his face is not even in it) and they already arrested the guy

while here.. they can post video of themselves making threats for months and no one reported it.. until he carried out his plan Sad

i guess they like to do clean up work rather then prevention around here..

In the United States, you can't make an arrest without at least some kind of evidence. Making threats in and of itself isn't a crime, but bringing deadly weapons to where the target of those threats will be is a crime. There are many, many instances of people making threats to each other and not following up on them.

And frankly, I would not want to live in a country where merely threatening someone can get you arrested. Big Brother would be watching.

Maybe it's because I live in a place where people threaten each other with weapons all the time. Yesterday, I saw on my local news a woman threatening some teenagers in the park with a gun after they threatened her with a knife. No one's getting arrested here; everyone knows they're just showing their weapons to get the other side to back down.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:06 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

Threats are illegal in most if not all of the US.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
In common law, assault is the act of creating apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact with a person. An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm.

In addition, most states have laws against "brandishing a firearm". Even where it is legal to carry a gun, it is illegal to wave it at people as that constitutes a threat even if you don't say anything.

A lot depends on the threatened person being willing to press charges. In the situation you mentioned, both sides were at fault which may have an effect on the police. From this and some of your prior comments, where you live is not normal for most of the country.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:

If you're looking for fanservice in Love Live! you won't find much. It's basically like K-on! Nothing overt, but one of the characters if fond of grabbing other girl's boobs over their clothes (because sexual assault is comedy! >.>) It's basically for the fans of teen jpop idols. Cute girls doing cute things etc., usual moe thing.

Nah I just wondered on what terms people feel the need to threaten other peoples' lives was. Razz I had hoped they would at the absolute least do something so extreme if it were to do with an anime worth something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5