• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Concrete Revolutio (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
Well at least it finally answered why Kikko doesn't just join Jiro's team.

Still, they keep going on about "being superhuman is a crime" yet there's plenty of public superhumans out there and they're okay? That one company can't seem to decide if it wants to persecute superhumans or use them to make a profit.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Still, they keep going on about "being superhuman is a crime" yet there's plenty of public superhumans out there and they're okay? That one company can't seem to decide if it wants to persecute superhumans or use them to make a profit.

I think it is that they want to decide who the good guys are. If they are in control of the good superhumans, then they are in control of the population. Human-man does not look like the ideal of a superhero, nor is his human identity "attractive", so they can't have him being a face, and how he got his powers is itself a villain.

You hear about the ideal of idols, causes need them at the front, while people tend to think something that does not fit into that square is ugly or chaotic. I am not a hugely knowledgeable about it, but it kind of makes me think of the makeup of the heroes in Watchmen, on the surface they could look like normal superheroes, but underneath they have "undesirable" traits that might make them hard to sell as straight characters.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 6:

Hmm, I thought this episode was rather interesting.

A strange character named Koma encased in a tomb of ice discovered in modern time. I like how the episode flashbacks to when she was around and wanting peace to her world. Kinda interesting to see her fight Jiro and the others in the present world. I think she confused them as villains. Zeth Satan sounds like a legit villain name as well.

Iron Mask Fencer's fighting outfit is pretty sick.
I think it was also interesting to learn more about Koma's background story and how it carries into the present.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
S2 ep 6
This episode went "full anime", Koma has so many archetypes tied up with her character you could divide them up and still have some leftover for a full super hero team.

The idea of the episode is showing off how the "the great olden times" weren't as peachy as some history buffs might think they were, and even a person from centuries in the past still were people trying to get by.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
The idea of the episode is showing off how the "the great olden times" weren't as peachy as some history buffs might think they were, and even a person from centuries in the past still were people trying to get by.

If I had to pick it, I think this was the main theme of the episode, that sort of debunking of nostalgic times where it really was good against bad and no one questioned it. But nostalgia is often oh so wrong and there is value to the new. It was not until afterwards I had the thought that there may have been some parallels to Captain America, like even the found frozen in ice thing.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It was not until afterwards I had the thought that there may have been some parallels to Captain America, like even the found frozen in ice thing.

Last week's episode was a Hulk analogy, so it might not be too far off that our little miss "iron mask" would be a proxy for old timey Japan in its "era of pride".
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:29 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 7:

Damn, war really can change people.

I thought the episode was pretty tense especially about how Jiro views the military in this timeline. Jonathan's background story is something I found interesting. His twisted ideals really made himself into a monster this episode imo. I feel bad for what he experienced though. It's just a damn shame that they can't solve their problems by peaceful means..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
s2 ep7
You spoil me Concrete Revolutio, a Wolverine visual reference AND an old G I JOE figures reference in the same episode!

As for Jonathan, whoever wrote this one wanted to make an homage to Rambo First Blood as we had a War Vet go crazy in the woods.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20

Seemed like Urobuchi was trying make a bold statement against American imperialism. I mean seriously, the villain was quite literally a war machine. Not exactly what I would call subtlety. That said, this was one of the best episodes so far.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Episode 20

Seemed like Urobuchi was trying make a bold statement against American imperialism. I mean seriously, the villain was quite literally a war machine. Not exactly what I would call subtlety. That said, this was one of the best episodes so far.

It was American Imperialism on display, however, it might actually be about ANY Nation's willingness for open aggression which would include Japanese last historic bout for global Imperialism.
Within the episode it is alluded to that Japan had also taken up to using Super Heros as living weapons during there WW2, so effectively the writing is saying that if you protest about foreign Nations "protecting" other countries how is it little different than promoting your own nation by amending the constitution so your JDF can "assist its allies" internationally(cough shot at Abe cough).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
s2 ep7
You spoil me Concrete Revolutio, a Wolverine visual reference AND an old G I JOE figures reference in the same episode!

As for Jonathan, whoever wrote this one wanted to make an homage to Rambo First Blood as we had a War Vet go crazy in the woods.

The "heroes" of the episode did seem largely influenced by G I JOE and a touch of Rambo. And I think it is a good topic of messed up authority that can come from the USA. It was not that long ago that I watched Rambo for the first time, kind of surprising that what I know of an action franchise almost glorifying fighting, kind of came from terror of war. USA does have a history of idolising war.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
S2 Ep 08
It looks like our show is ready to set up the stage for the titled "final song", no more vignette side stories about civilians in the crazy world and instead a return of focus to our staple cast.
Jiro probably had suspicions of himself, but now it is confirmed to his own knowledge that he has a monstrous level of power.
The ad agency "real goal" is still vague, but there machinations are taking a toll on our protagonists regardless of where they think they stand.

The final ride is beginning, and I am looking forward to all the rises and drops in the upcoming episodes.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
This episode was a little confusing at first, especially given how many returning characters show up without them being relevant for a while. Took me a while to realize the dude in red was 'Grosse Augen'.

Plot's moving quite fast. Jiro's suspicious powers needed to be brought up at some point, especially after that teaser in the last episode of the first cour, and here we are. Seems like either his 'father' bought Imperial Ads argument or just decided to leave Jiro caged as a child for whatever reason, but young-Emi used to play with him and handle the beast inside whenever it got ugly (I guess this scene in particular ties up with that one from the first cour where a very different looking Emi was handling the beast). If this episode had a theme, it was Jiro's ideals finally being questioned by the ones around him, fiercely. His allies no longer think he's fighting their cause as he should, his former allies want him to take a stance already, and he himself might be starting to think it's time to grow up a bit. That his nature as a superhuman itself is also questioned and potentially harmful to others is just icing on the cake.

There's also Daitetsu apparently filling in his shoes. We've had a number of characters so far wishing for a "purer" justice, like Jiro with Furuota back in episode 2, the people with Earth-chan, and the "good old times where things were simpler" scenario of episode 19. So I wonder which way Daitetsu's heading now, especially given how Imperial Ads' latest scheme is just to take the hits for people to feel sorry for them.

Claude's helmet is interesting. Apparently it had enough impact on whats-her-name that made her question her ideals and even conspire with Jiro, but did we see what happened to the girl at the start of the episode?

Man, this episode was packed. Not really my favorite or anything like that, but there's so much to talk about when it comes to the plot in this one.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Man, this episode was packed. Not really my favorite or anything like that, but there's so much to talk about when it comes to the plot in this one.

For better or worst, plot has been on the backburner for the second season, it was fine for the vignette stories but certainly is noticeable when the show is trying to "get back on the main path" after we explored the forest for the previous episodes of season 2.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
A super robot project? Strange but at this point of the series, I think it works quite well with these type of super machines.

Seems like a lot of fingers pointed at Jiro for the reason for Aki going berserk. Sigh. Quite a bit of peace and justice themes this episode too. I feel like it's setting up for the last few episodes of the season which makes it exciting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9