• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Asterisk War (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote

The Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water (TV)

Genres: Action, Comedy, Ecchi, Fantasy, Romance, School, Sci-Fi, Harem, Supernatural
Themes: Battle Academy, Swordsmanship, Magic, Power

Plot Summary: The Academy City on the water, Rikka (otherwise known as Asterisk) is the world's largest stage for the integrated battle entertainment, "Star Wars Festival." The young boys and girls of the "Starpulse Generation" belonging to the six academies made their wishes with Shining Armaments in their hands, vying for supremacy—Amagiri Ayato is one of them.

Ayato arrived at Rikka at the invitation of the Student Council President of the Seidoukan Academy, Claudia, and right after that he incurred the wrath of the "Petalblaze Witch" Julis, and ended up having to duel her.

The greatest academy battle entertainment, begins here!
----------------------------------

This reminds me of Absolute Duo somewhat.

It's a battle academy setting series with a fusion of various themes that includes sci-fi and magic. Not a fan of the character designs so far but the battle sequences looks alright.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1 will air October 2nd, streaming provider has yet to be announced.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Very generic start so far as expected.
From what I saw, we will probably get a ton of battles considering the show is already confirmed for split cour of total with 24 episodes.

And anyways, the action was probably the best part of the episode. Everything else was generic and the episode had more exposition than I had expected. I wonder when we will get the intro of the other main girls though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Some action, looks pretty all around. Most characters seem very uninteresting so far (though I specially like "exposition-giver-convenient-roommate", very gimmicky), but Christ were the harem/fanservice aspects annoying.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love dem light saber sound effects Laughing

You have to give Julis some credit: she has the decency to actually show some gratitude. Any other tsundere would refuse to admit that much.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
yeah, that bit was nice. always nice to see more than just a stereotypical tsundere. The fight looked cool, A-1 care about his show, nice as well. So I'm on board for now
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... that was ok. The action seemed pretty nice. Characters were lame: The generic chaste male lead, the fiery tsundere and the refined lady character. The only character that seemed interesting was the male lead's roommate. The world seems interesting with the duels and all. I'm looking forward to more fight scenes.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
episode one

I'm kind of thinking our MC isn't the brightest guy. Who leaps in to a random window and is then surprised that someone is in a state of undress within? Also, if that handkerchief is so important, why doesn't Julis take more care of it? I guess the a lot of the cast is a bit challenged in the thinking ahead department.

I really like Claudia for some reason. I'm coming to the conclusion I have a soft spot for troll characters. The action sequences are fun so far, too, despite the combatant's apparent lack of wits, so this might be fun as a spectacle.

Vaisaga wrote:
Gotta love dem light saber sound effects Laughing

Yeah, my first thought when I heard one was "downpitched light saber". I like it though.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Looks like my initial impression of it being similar to Regios was right on the bat. There's much more of a "harem-esque" feel to it than Regios, and no teams (at least so far), but it definitely feels like Regios. I'm liking it so far.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
I guess the a lot of the cast is a bit challenged in the thinking ahead department.

Well, they are teenagers.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I love me some generic shows every once in a while, this one might scratch that itch.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:20 am Reply with quote
So the seat on the other side of the main character is also empty, which means that we are likely getting some other girl show up there, which shows that this is probably a harem.

Not too fussed over the episode. I like Claudia, that hug thing was a little weird, but everything else she did seemed fun.

Decided to watch the episode after the Cavalry one, and wow these shows are kind of similar.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
HelloBucket wrote:
I guess the a lot of the cast is a bit challenged in the thinking ahead department.

They are already smarter than most us teenagers and some college students too.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
HelloBucket wrote:

Can there be an doubt about which pair of teenagers is going to be hooked up sooner or later?

On the subject of "generic" anime: I always find it so lazy to stipulate an cataclysmic/natural disaster apocalypse in the prelude to the story which turns out to be totally irrelevant. The setting could just as well have been a "future where the politics have changed." Nobody is hung up on the past and the city-island (why does it have to be an island?) is fully unblemished.

I'll probably end up watching this to the end but I don't expect any surprises.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I could only cringe at the obvious cliche of a guy walking in on an obvious hot looking girl in her underwear. However the student president and the main character's newspaper club friend were pretty much the highlights for me, which is pretty sad. The battles were interesting, but at least I know not to hold high expectations here. However I'll be trying to watch this through to the end, not extremely terrible but not something I feel my time is being wasted with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12