• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Asterisk War (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, there doesn't feel like any tension or anything at stake. I completely forget what this festival/tournament arc means for the teams. Is there some glory behind it? Money? I understand Sasamiya's desire to win which made her battle a bit interesting but it felt rather short. Almost as if they want to disregard the Kirin-Sasamiya pair in favor of speeding along the story. While I don't know what's to come, I definitely don't look forward to the Save Flora arc or whatever. Now, about the culprit, I wonder who it could be. With all the suspicion on that one commitee dude with the goatee, I think it's safe to assume it's him pulling the strings. Mr. Tyrant is just probably a red herring.

Back to the characters, they all feel rather bland. . . and not in a "follow the cliches" bland way but a "why do we even care for their motives" blandness. Maybe my bad memory should be blamed but I don't see any relevance of the tournament to any of the characters. Julis wants to prove something? Okay, what of it? Ayato whole motive is "mah sister" which they develop, disregard (sort of), and bring back later. Sasamiya's desire for recognition got blown out this episode. Kirin's just there to be part of the harem. Claudia's not getting screentime and still a mystery.

I'm shrugging. I'll end my rant here.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, there doesn't feel like any tension or anything at stake. I completely forget what this festival/tournament arc means for the teams. Is there some glory behind it? Money?

The phoenix festival is effectively a "track meet" except all the events are MMA matches between super powered high schoolers.

This is sort of the reason why shady figures would set up the non sanctioned Eclipse tournament so that money could be gambled.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Jeez well that was lame. It was so obvious who did it that the perp needn't have bothered to disguise his voice. Of course he gets points for gagging the loli at least.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Mon May 02, 2016 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The thing is that Saya and Kirin were always going to lose as its shows Ayato fighting against Optimus Prime (can't remember their names) in the opening sequence.

The point I'm trying to get at is : Why they no put best girl Claudia on the screen for longer than two minutes?
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
i had some small hope that this episode would give us something to build on. instead we get a threat if you don't do this then....
oh and seal your sword so you are just a normal hump. then we can beat you easy.
So now all we need to do is wait on the last second rescue so he can not lock down his weapon.

the only real question is this. can they manage to rescue the girl prior to the end of the episode or will they wait till the beginning of the next one? Or will they toss out a real issue of making him lock down the sword and then try to re-bond with it?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 6:

Meh, I thought the fight involving Ayato and Julis in the tournament against their enemy team this episode to be really underwhelming. They were pretty much fed to two jobbers to them as they never stood a a chance.

Kinda felt bad for Camilla this episode with that background story. I also find it somewhat poetic that she mentions how "half her life" belongs to Ernesta now. About time a certain someone showed up at the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
The most interesting part about this episode for me was when the scientist girl's friend raised the problem about the robots being too dangerous. The whole situation became a bit tense almost like the show was trying to make a point about the potential dangers of AI and robots having feelings. Is it a good thing that the robots are "growing up"? Maybe it's a bit worrying. It would be cool if the show went somewhere with all that, but I have doubts.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
this episode to be really underwhelming.

It is often the case in tournaments where the quarter-finals are harder than the semi-finals, but it is hard to see how those two opponents made it that far. The must have had a draw that didn't include any opponents as nasty as the twins.

Another episode and another comment that leads me to believe this anime is a bit underrated. The story doesn't want to be just a series of epic fights and is injecting a lot of thriller/intrigue and politics at this moment.

A bit predictable though. It seems pretty clear Eishirou is going to somehow have the key for the ultimate rescue. The "puppets" thing seems to be a bit of a distraction.

The after-credits "look at me I'm a lava lamp" routine I could do without.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 7:

Damn, Sylvia's like a goddess...at least that's how her character is presented this episode with her abilities.

No wonder she's ranked #1 at her school. That wasn't even much of a fight, more like an execution. The song was neat though, they put some decent effort into it. I really hope the final match of this tournament thing will be worth watching compared to that dreadful semi-final.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
The song was neat though, they put some decent effort into it.

In English no less. Very pretty.

So why was she wandering around that particular 'hood and that particular alley anyway?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 Ep 7
Sylvia's intro episode was amazing, it is simple yet still gives her an air of mysteriousness and elegance and I certainly would want to know more about her character.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I've been thinking... What is Kirin wearing on her head? Pants? That magic glitter breezing through the city was pretty cool though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I've been thinking... What is Kirin wearing on her head? Pants?

Yeah that was kind of bothering me for a while, I was trying to figure out if it was like some sort of nun thing or something similar. I think finally getting a different angle it looks like it is some sort of bunny eared hat, a little awkward, but I can buy it./ Well I would not actually buy it, I doubt I could make it work.

While watching the episode I took note of the big Sylvia picture and guessed pretty quickly that this new girl must be her. I will say that the song bit was nice.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It is often the case in tournaments where the quarter-finals are harder than the semi-finals, but it is hard to see how those two opponents made it that far. The must have had a draw that didn't include any opponents as nasty as the twins.

That Knight looks very strong. He just gamble and lost. I mean normal attacks don't really work on him. His armor regenerate very quick. What is the twins going to do against him?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
Season, 2 episode 8:

Well, that was a much better than the forgettable semi-final match. Ayato's training really paid off although I think they weren't fighting against their opponents at full power from the beginning.

Kirin is impressive with her after visual image attack. She and Saya makes a good team. The recuse mission felt rather predictable. Claudia's role this season has been underwhelming as well but the finale match has been fun to watch so far. Hopefully they make a climatic finish for the match next time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12