• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Asterisk War (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (Episode 24 / Finale)

I actually thought that the action with the hydra was actually pretty good. I am not sure when last I might have thought about that in the series. Although this was the finale so they were probably trying to make it feel like there was some raised tension and payoff with this being the end.

As far as second season of this type of series go, I think that this was actually pretty good. A similar series I might compare it to was Infinite Stratos, one which I know as having an almost completely pointless second season that barely pushed the plot forward and instead chose to use tired old cliché instead. Asterisk Wars actually felt like a lot happened this season, we had the build up of the competition first season, and we got the payoff here. Although for reasons I think that it might fall more into "split cour" as the narrative of this season did not feel that separate. Similarly a bunch of plot threads feel like they were started and ready to continue on too.

Even though it has had an entire extra cour I cannot help but think of it as being so similar to another, Chivalry of the Failed Knight, and this was the lesser of the two. Although I don't think it really improved much, I don't think it actually fell. A complaint I put though is with Claudia, who weirdly did not appear for a good chunk of this season except in the terrible preview parts. Talking about the preview parts, I liked when we got other characters in it, especially the robots, which kind of made up for the tired old Claudia with the bouncing boobs. I actually do think a couple things fell as getting old, there were other things that made up for it and brought it back to even, I have a few interests in where things might go, but from here as a second season I think it did okay. For a rating I give the second season the same I gave to the first, Decent (6/10). I might not have enjoyed it a huge amount, I did not feel disinterested.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
For my thoughts, the rating I have for this series is the same as my post in Concrete Revolutio, which is that the series was okay. The fights in the tournament were pretty decent, but I was very, very irritated with the personality and overall development of the character of Flora and spoiler[her hostage situation,] which made things more complicated for our heroes. I could not stand Flora and would nominate her for worst character of 2016 if there is ever that type of competition. I'm almost curious as to this next tournament they're trying to enter, but the way the series ended I'm guessing there's no third season. The quality of this series amounts to streaming it but nothing for hard copy ownership.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12