• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
(Who else activated the Chicken Hat option in the Settings?)
Embarassed I probably will end up using it. As much as I love MGS games, I kind of suck at playing them. I especially found Ground Zeroes difficult and I assume the game mechanics in Phantom Pain are similar.

Last edited by shamisen the great on Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
PSadlon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
First that "dog" looks more like a wolf and why the heck does it have Snake's eyepatch.

Other than that it sounds about what I'd expect. I would still probably play it but I am not expecting a diamond. True open world is pretty hard to do justice, especially if you expect things like strong narrative.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
It probably is a wolf pup.

Why does it have an eyepatch? It's Metal Gear Solid!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I agree with this review totally. The open world works a lot better with the core Metal Gear gameplay than I thought it would.

Although I had a few big problems. For one, the filler missions. If Kojima's name isn't listed among the writing credits, I could already tell right off the bat that I wasn't in for a good time.

I could tolerate the filler missions in Peace Walker because there was a lot more variety (Including some wonderfully goofy stuff like holding up people with bananas and ghostbusting) and they were mostly pretty short. In TPP they can go on for 30 minutes and they almost always consist of running around like a headless chicken tranqing, CQQ'ing and interrogating everything that breathes to find a cargo truck or a prisoner or an intel file or whatever with every death taking you back to a checkpoint from 10 or even 20 minutes ago. Replaying those missions on higher difficulties later on was even less fun.

But the one BIG problem is not a criticism of what the game has, but what the game doesn't have. A proper ending. A proper ending that was apparently planned to be put in the game but, for whatever reason, wasn't. And honestly, I don't even think I need to explain who's likely at fault for pulling the plug early before they could finish the final boss battle.

Still, the gameplay is fantastic and the story that didn't get cut out (Both in cutscene and cassette tape form) is really good. Plus the improvements to the fulton system can create all sorts of crazy fun. As for how I'd rank it among the other Metal Gears, it's probably somewhere in the middle. Snake Eater is still the best in my eyes.

PSadlon wrote:
First that "dog" looks more like a wolf and why the heck does it have Snake's eyepatch.
1. Yeah, it's a wolf. They just say he's a dog because 'Diamond Dogs'. At motherbase you can actually hear two soldiers arguing over that.

2. One of his eyes is missing.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Coming to Phantom Pain for the stealth mechanics, you'll get the best the genre has to offer.

Really? I've only played prologue but there is no sign of the best stealth mechanic. Yes, yes, it's only prologue and everything can change, but coming from the past experience with MGS I doubt it'll be even remotely close to Chaos Theory or Silent Assassin.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah just started playing it, its fun but definitely not a metal gear, and I dunno how long it'll stay fun since all the environment are the same limited stuff (both visually and gameplay wise) and the same strategy of marking everything and picking them up one by one work just fine every time and there's not really any reason to use anything else since you need to knock out the guard using non lethal so you can recruit them.

I have to ask though, how many people actually played peace walker? There were so many PSP metal gear (5 I think) that I lost count at some point and as such I wasn't even really aware that peace walker was even a thing (same for all the kingdom heart spin off). As such I'm really not attached to the character or the mission. Before playing 5 I did watch a long review for PW (it seems like it had far more interesting environment and giant mech boss) but I'm guessing a lot of people didn't even do that.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
PSadlon wrote:

The eye with the eyepatch got injured.

YotaruVegeta wrote:

Breaking up gameplay with long cutscenes is not what you come to games for. At least give people something to do if you're going to make them watch a movie.

Move the camera to look at easter eggs or one of the female character's chest Rolling Eyes

meiam wrote:

There were so many PSP metal gear (5 I think)

If you discount Acid, Acid 2,Portable Ops+,

There's only 2 games worth counting off.

meiam wrote:
Before playing 5 I did watch a long review for PW (it seems like it had far more interesting environment

Peace Walker's environments was basically a somewhat more scaled back version of Snake Eater's (and rather boring to be frank).

meiam wrote:

and giant mech boss) but I'm guessing a lot of people didn't even do that.

Well it was on the PSP originally when it came out Wink
tehhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I have to ask though, how many people actually played peace walker? There were so many PSP metal gear (5 I think) that I lost count at some point and as such I wasn't even really aware that peace walker was even a thing (same for all the kingdom heart spin off). As such I'm really not attached to the character or the mission. Before playing 5 I did watch a long review for PW (it seems like it had far more interesting environment and giant mech boss) but I'm guessing a lot of people didn't even do that.

the only good thing about peace walker is boss battle

we get a lot of that, and there is several unique boss battle on varying difficulty on new game+
we still get MGS4 stealth (making it relevant)

and few collaboration on Monster Hunter where its VERY tough

sooooo its basically a somewhat monster hunter title from konami, except, again, there is no company doing it right for monster hunting (aka, not enough experience in developing action games) except CAPCOM or platinum games

i can guarantee the time they took to develop those bosses takes 60% of development of PW
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Quote:
Coming to Phantom Pain for the stealth mechanics, you'll get the best the genre has to offer.

Really? I've only played prologue but there is no sign of the best stealth mechanic. Yes, yes, it's only prologue and everything can change, but coming from the past experience with MGS I doubt it'll be even remotely close to Chaos Theory or Silent Assassin.

I would also disagree. Other games (Mark of the Ninja, for one) employs stealth better than MGS did back in the day.

Now? I think MGS' stealth is fine, but not the best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Quote:

Mechanically, the intro is the worst part of the game since you have none of the cool tools to play with once things actually start going (and given how the game system is set up, you have practically unlimited access to all your tools since it's as simple as calling it in). There's so many fun ways to do each mission that it's kinda crazy.

I've put in about 70-80 hours and have S ranks on almost all the missions and I have to say that this is one of my favorite single player games since Bayonetta 2.

There are some design choices that annoy me (the use of real time to develop items from the R&D and how you have to do a bunch of crap to get into the chopper where you accept missions), but this is probably the best the series has ever been in terms of like raw gameplay mechanics.

The checkpoint system is kinda dumb in some places (particularly the one with the Skull snipers since it's from the beginning of the mist appearance to after you get into the mansion and get a cut scene before the checkpoint happens), but you just have to exploit the system to get what you want (checkpoints generally happen before outpost locations, so you go to them as needed... but I didn't do this a whole lot since I was grinding for S rank, which is mostly based on speed and getting the perfect stealth bonus).

But then, at this point, you might as well have made people just have a save state to create their own checkpoints. Would have caused a lot less frustration for people, even if it makes the game easier.

ANYWAY, it's just really fun to do things, though the game is admittedly very grindy and I think it's sort of "pay to grind less" because I'm under the impression that FOBs (which Konami seems very persistent that you buy) will make your game less grindy.

(but I'm not sure as I've not touched the online too much outside of the situations where I forget to shut the damn thing off... but I noticed that the free FOB allowed me to shove more people into my platforms, so I assume that more FOBs means I can bring on more staff to make my life less grindy)

As for story, I'm not super invested into the series like most people are, but I felt that the game had its moments and it's a shame that they actually hide a lot of important plot details behind the cassette tapes. I actually really liked Quiet, even though the explanation behind her lack of clothing and whatever is kinda ridiculous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2