• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do Creators Get Fan Mail?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, with Hollywood, for the actors who get a lot of feedback from fans, either the agent will go through it, or there's a crew member dedicated to reading them. They'll pick out the ones they like and give them to the actor, though sometimes, the agent will write back directly (but it'll always be made clear it's not the actor who replies).

I think it's a sound structure, and I don't see why it'd be greatly different for the above with popular seiyuu.

For certain they don't write back, except on maybe special occasions (I think Ishikawa Hideo once responded back to all people who sent him a nengajou).

It's possible some letters are screened, but I don't think they pick and choose which ones to give to the seiyuu. If there's nothing offending in the letter then it probably gets through.

But then again... You think about mangaka and how Toboso Yana received letters from readers saying they read her works [illegally] online, and if any editors were screening her letters then I don't think they would let those ones go through, so the fact that they got into Toboso sensei's hands makes you wonder if there is a screening process.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
Hmm, that's interesting. It makes me wonder, then, how they go through all of this mail. Maybe some of them don't want to have them screened and are willing to take the good and the bad. Or maybe they just pick out random ones, or ones that catch their attention (like what you said about Ishikawa Hideo).

The reason I made that guess is because I have assisted a Hollywood agent in the past. He would sometimes spend days in his office going through letters and e-mails for his more popular actors and usually send about 20 to 30 at a time to each of them. (He'll always do it alone and will close his door, but he'll explain his process.) Mainly, he screens out hate mail, incomprehensible stuff, off-topic letters, and letters with no substance. I think his actors need the screening to keep their sanity.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Have you SEEN the present boxes at events? There are tons of letters in there, and letters are going to take longer to read than tweets.

[in Japan: 2011 - 2 concerts, 2012 - 8 concerts, 2013 - 1 play, 1 in-store live and 14 concerts, 2014 - 3 concerts, 2015 - 1 fan event and 4 concerts. Some larger concerts had announced in advance that they would not be able to accept presents for the artists.]

Maybe because I was seeing older artists (e.g. Chiaki Ishikawa) the present boxes weren't so huge. (I was amazed how many items she had autographed herself before her 29 August 2013 concert at Shibuya O-East)

I remember that at Minori Chihara's birthday live last year at Nippon Budokan she had a wall where people could write messages on post-it notes and she claimed to have read them all a day or so later.

Yuki Kajiura also claims to have read all the feedback forms after concerts. If I'd wanted to send her a physical letter I could (and once did) send it via the postal address for http://www.spacecraft.co.jp.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
[in Japan: 2011 - 2 concerts, 2012 - 8 concerts, 2013 - 1 play, 1 in-store live and 14 concerts, 2014 - 3 concerts, 2015 - 1 fan event and 4 concerts. Some larger concerts had announced in advance that they would not be able to accept presents for the artists.]

Maybe because I was seeing older artists (e.g. Chiaki Ishikawa) the present boxes weren't so huge. (I was amazed how many items she had autographed herself before her 29 August 2013 concert at Shibuya O-East)

I remember that at Minori Chihara's birthday live last year at Nippon Budokan she had a wall where people could write messages on post-it notes and she claimed to have read them all a day or so later.

Yuki Kajiura also claims to have read all the feedback forms after concerts. If I'd wanted to send her a physical letter I could (and once did) send it via the postal address for http://www.spacecraft.co.jp.

FYI, I wasn't actually doubting that you've seen present boxes before. It was more for exaggeration. Anyway, even the small boxes, when it's events where there are multiple guests, the staff will often empty the boxes when they get full so there's usually more than what you physically see in the box.

Anyway, my point is that Twitter and letters are different mediums and letters take longer to go through.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
For certain they don't write back, except on maybe special occasions (I think Ishikawa Hideo once responded back to all people who sent him a nengajou).

I did some fan letter writing research before writing one to Aki Toyosaki and from what I recall, the biggest (only?) chance for a response from a seiyuu is by writing one before they star in a hit show, while their credits mostly consists of "Background Girl A", "Villager", etc. But then of course, I guess there's not much to write about either.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
Laughing This just makes me think of The Simpsons.

If I were ever to write a letter, it would certainly be due to someone's work truly touching me. There is a lot of what I enjoy, and I'll usually tweet about it, but a letter really is something special (to me).

Still, I mostly tweet about American comics, and am always happy when the writer/artist retweets or replies. Most of the time, when I tweet about Wayward (my favourite ongoing American comic series), Jim Zub and Steve Cummings almost always reply, even if it is just to say thanks.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
Hm, well, Suwabe Junichi just confirmed today that unless there is something inside an envelope other than a letter, no one at his agency pre-opens letters addressed to him. Suwabe is the only seiyuu I know of who strictly limits his presents to letters only.

https://twitter.com/MY_MURMUR/status/643304622342340608

I guess this means that most seiyuu don't have their fan letters pre-screened before they get them.

PS Suwabe also mentioned that some people put charms and accessories in the envelope and he asks for them to refrain from doing that.
https://twitter.com/MY_MURMUR/status/643305279602298882
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2