• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been keeping up with the series since episode 14 until I finally decided to catch up today, yes, 8 episodes all at once. This series needs more action, faster pacing, better music, less characters, better animation, and Mika the murderer getting comeuppance. Just as a quick warning, these opinions are going to be mostly negative; I also mistaken Galieo and McGillis for a while since they were the same character with different hair, you'll know when I realize that error.

Episodes 15 through 22:

Since the spoiler rules state to do this if I don't want to use spoiler tags, I can now cut loose.

-Ep 15: After ending on a possible shoot out, said shoot out happens entirely off screen an Atra acts like an idiot which gets her beaten up. This literally could have been down to 8 minutes.

-Ep 16: Action happens for a minute and a half, but it is just rioting and Kudelia somehow survives friendly fire. Fumitan also dies from a lack of making up her mind and snipers don't bother taking second shots for extremely stupid reasons. The entire first half of this episode could have been cut.

-Ep 17: Gotta love how workers become terrorists because they hate their government who, as far as we know, has not done anything to directly affect average citizens. What corruption is going on? That's right: Zilch. It gives no reason to sympathize with these clowns, especially when they are slaughtered thanks to faulty equipment. At least action happens this episode.

-Ep 18: Could have had some action, but no, just endless amounts of bickering to the point that the entire second half could have been cut, especially that pointless crying at the end. Also Galeio was mask guy, how he could change the color of his eyes and hair is anyone's guess. In fact only the first quarter had any real development, the second quarter could have literally been done in a previous episode. There is also this chick with tiny eyebrows who does nothing.

-Ep 19: Wow does tiny eyebrows complain for no reason and knew Gaelio as a kid; also her incompitence is pathetic. This is the only thing worth mentioning because literally nothing else happens for the first half. The second half had good action for the first time in a long time. However, some side character that barely got screen time named Ein died and that means.... Something? They treat it like such, yet this person did nothing previously. Also the animation is horrid. Also I realized Gaelio is not the char clone, but the blonde guy is (his disguise fooled me).

-Ep 20: .......EIN LIVED!? You have to love how people born on Mars can handle Earth's gravity without any effort at all nor do any of the microbes give them diseases, things even old tokusatsu series and freaking Gundam SEED bothered to address. I'd complain more if anything else worth a darn happened and guess what it didn't (aside from Biscuit quitting)! Of all the episodes so far this is probably the one that could have been cut down the most. The plot also remembered Orga is supposed to be a main character which has not happened in at least half a dozen episodes.

-Ep 21: I love how action was promised yet at least a quarter of the episode is dedicated to immensely pointless filler. That should have been the tagline for last week's review on the main site- HOLY CRAP NOT-HITLER IS STILL ALIVE! I thought they beat him to death! Also Biscuit dies without foreshadowing and he was the only one with a semi-fleshed out backstory. This and the last episode should have been combined. The action parts were fine though, probably the best in the series even though Gjallhorn is a better protagonist group than the space rats ever did. Of course the sudden rain at the end when it was sunny during the battle was redundant as hell, essentially bad story boarding.

-Ep 22: This is trying to hard to be sad just like over a dozen episodes ago. On top of that Carta somehow survives and there is shoved in political conspiracies that have not even been hinted at before. McGillis ditched his mask because.... I do not know. We do get decent world building that should have been done in the beginning episodes, why the hell is it only brought up NOW (and why are trains seen as obsolete)? I'm also with /a/, Orga's secretary is useless while he acts mopey for what a minute? Looks like his own sociopathic monster snapped him out of it.... And the episode ends with them MAKING IT TO THEIR DESTINATION! OFFSCREEN! IF THIS SERIES COULD MOVE THIS FAST WHY NOT DO THAT SOONER!?

There is also a rumor going around that Yamagi is gay and, like Kudelia being Jewish, there is literally no evidence. At least I'm back in the mood of ripping into this on a weekly basis again. Top that off with foreshadowing so subtle and poor buried over layers of nonsense and it is difficult to follow with a complete lack of suspense. This is a 1 course series stretched to 2. Yaraon is reporting that Japan has been mostly tuning out with ratings so bad even SD Gundam Force and Age are beating it with 2ch actively loathing it. Apparently people do share my view this is not good, the problem is that I am the only one of said group that doesn't speak Japanese. Sad

I don't want to be this harsh on this, however I have not seen a single review calling out half these problems; I don't like being "that guy". At least /m/ finally gets its daemon prince of chaos undivided and I'm calling Lorgar or Be'lakor.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 23:

Now that's what I'd all sweet sweet revenge. Yeah, it wasn't a fair fight mostly because Mika is aiming to avenge his friend Biscuit and besides, an honorable friend in his mind would probably be between friends. Carta is his enemy so...

In the meantime, I think the action was good. McGillis might be seeking revenge in the future on his own as well. This kinda bothers me though as I think the show will likely get another season in the future. I mean, there's only like two episodes left and there's still a lot they can make with the story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23:

This series should be renamed to "talking sandwich" since the first half of this episode is one of many examples in its prime. Why? Because between the two buns we call eyes it is expected that something of visual substance for our brain to digest and instead we get the tofu of eye-based appetite: Talking. The first half was so littered with it, not even filler, but more like things that should have been used four episodes previously. On top of that I dislike tofu. Sad The second half I wanted to say had decent action, but really it just proved how much of a total monster Mika can be (and how incompetent Gjallhorn can get). You know, say what you will about Heero and Setsuna or even Wu Fei, when they get challenged to a duel they at least have the decency to have the enemy reach their mobile suits or at least not intentionally squash them when they can't fight back. It puts into perspective just how awful the protagonists are, so much it almost makes the antagonists heroes by comparison and you know what? I believe this view point. Also
Quote:
Apparently people do share my view this is not good, the problem is that I am the only one of said group that doesn't speak Japanese.

I finally found citations for my claim!

Source ! and Source 2!

G-Reco had the excuse of being late night, this not so much. Also it seems like my view of Mika being horrid is not an unpopular view and can you blame them? Barbatos does look Satanic in some of these shots.

In my defense this article used Yaraon as a source, if the ANN staff trusts it then it seems good enough for me.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
If the message of Gundam is that "war sucks" then Mikazuki has been a great poster child in showing off the blatant cruelty when it comes to war.

The only person that is potentially on the same level of despicableness to Mikazuki is McGillis who willingly sacrificed people that even he admits can still feel nostalgic for even if he has grown distant from on a personal level.

There is no question that McGillis has been on the same narrative path as Char, but Mikazuki has been following a path unique for Gundam characters as he doesn't follow any "code" other than the nature that he acts like a child soldier would need to act if he wants to live long enough to see the next day.

Mikazuki is NOT a "good guy" and the audience isn't supposed to think he is some sort of shining paragon.

At the very least, Mikazuki has learned something about McGillis, what he does with the information has the potential to shift narrative.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
At the very least, Mikazuki has learned something about McGillis, what he does with the information has the potential to shift narrative.

That confused me because I thought he's known all along that McGillis and Masked Man are both Chocolate Man (like the viewers, he knows Takahiro Sakurai's voice wherever he hears it Wink). No one seems to have paid this information any mind yet, so I'm not sure why they'd care now.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No one seems to have paid this information any mind yet, so I'm not sure why they'd care now.

The contextual difference is that McGillis is openly playing Tekkadan, the issue comes in the form that Mikazuki could keep this revelation a secret and "carry on the mission" or he can share it with Orga which could raise doubts within Orga's mind in a "what the hell are we even fighting for?", Orga claims the mission is "all for revenge" but just as well if the people paying your bills already have a gun to your head what is all the rage and fury for if those that still live simply die like dogs for someone else's cause.

If the show wants to continue on that Mikazuki is a heartless bastard that follows Orga simply to sate his own blood lust, then he will keep his mouth shut about the info, if the show wants to try to present Mikazuki in some fraction of redeeming human light he will tell his confidant Orga the info.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Isn't the revelation already long out in the open? Mika's recognized him twice now, once in battle against him (where I assume his com is being monitored?), and once in the presence of Orga, Biscuit and I think someone else, where he openly admitted he was with Gjallarhorn and might be betraying them! So why is Mika even shocked when Carta mentions him? I know Mika can be pretty oblivious, but c'mon. McGillis introduced himself by name at the farm, standing next to a vehicle with the Gjallarhorn logo on it. Kudelia was witness to that exchange as well. It's not like nobody knows who he is. They're just not 100% clear on whose side he's on. Even this battle doesn't make that clear, to them or to the viewers.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 24:

Great episode, lots of action but damn, poor Azze and Lafter...

I expect a climatic battle next time to conclude the season but I'm starting to wonder what else it can do to wrap up the story? Unless the show plans another season, it seems like there's more to add to it.

Got quite a bit of respect for Aina in these past few episodes for showing her bravery on the frontlines.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 24

That was one hell of an episode (literally). Wow. I was a bit worried about this show a few eppies ago, but the writer definitely pulled this one off. People started spoiler[to die and] judging by the fact that the next episode is the last one, named spoiler['Tekkadan'] - there will be even spoiler[more casualties and quite possibly the death of the Tekkadan name itself.] So as to propose an answer to Stark700's question 'What else it can do to wrap up the story' - make it a (semi)tragic end of course. This episode talked about the future of the boys, with Merribit continuously crying that they are wrong, so I expect the next episode will show us exactly how wrong they were. However, I do expect them to complete their job. That isn't really a question, since spoiler[we can see Makanai in his seat in the preview] for the next episode. I don't know if it will do any good for the future, but no doubt Kudelia will learn something from it and carry her love for Tekkadan forever in her heart. Or something. I suspect Ein will do some destruction and screaming before ultimately breaking down.
I'll root for Bauduin to kick some sense into McGillis, a.k.a. liar/chocolateman and someone finally kicking some sense into Mikazuki, who always took the easy way of thinking whenever it suited him. I've been waiting for > 15 episodes!! He has a mind to think for his own, but whenever it's about things like battle and killing, he mindlessly wants Orga to guide him and he doesn't think of anything other than winning the battle. Maybe looking at the Ein machine will get him something to think about. Please Okada, give me what I want.
If not, then I'll settle for another Orphans no Namida ending.

If I'm wrong about Tekkadan, then I do suspect we'll be getting a second season. However, I believe there is a nice way to wrap things up next eppie.

Anyway, loved the tense action, drama and Eugene finally in the picture again.

So, everybody place your bets for next episode: who'll stay and who'll die a tragic death?
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 24:

Wow, this is a first, not only do you not lead into your final battle with proper transition, but you do not even show how it starts, literally ignore it for the first half of the episode it, explain the plans AFTER a bunch of pointless filler, STILL keep with the atrocious animation, and on top of that the main protagonist does not even encounter the Char clone! Aside from one early battle they haven't fought all series long! How pathetic.

But wait!

The shadow of iron blood lurks and space rats reign!

Yet....

By the blade of win....

This series becomes salvagable....

By the savior in the dark!

The slaying of useless schmucks by this guy single handedly made Ein the most likeable member of the cast and would have made this series worth a darn if Barbatos was not traveling at subsonic speeds to stop him (seriously, in Earth's gravity it should NOT be moving that fast!). If Ein can take out more of Tekkadan and survive he'll stop me from considering a 1/10 rating, that is how awesome this guy is.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Ep 24, the REVENGE of Ein.

As we have been told several episode before, Ein has become cyborg with a giant sized shell of a mobile suit.
This episode reaps what it sows and presents an opponent that will be worth Mikazuki's attention.

In of itself is a classic formula where Ein starts off a LONG journey of being an underdog, jobbing several times over for the protagonists, and now with his dark rebirth he is a cybernetic demon that can rival the presence of Mikazuki's unflinching desire to kill.

It is amusing as Orga claims his actions "are for revenge" but Ein is outright living it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
It's kinda sad that these guys are so driven to avenge Crank, when he himself felt his orders to fight children were wrong in the first place, and that he was defeated fairly, with no need to be avenged. If only Mika hadn't acquiesced to his request to shoot him and had taken him prisoner instead, much angst could have been avoided.

I do agree that starting in with the battle in progress was unnecessarily confusing and less satisfying that being in on it at the start. When the episode began, I almost stopped it to go back and make sure I hadn't missed an episode somehow, or that my goldfish brain hadn't forgotten how the last episode left off. :/
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote
Ep 24:

I do wish they had shown the battle a little more over time in order to better present the attrition and desperation of Tekkadan. I really didn't care for jumping into the middle as it did. I was concerned that the show was at times falling into a rut, but I'm glad to see that they aren't pulling their punches too much. I really want to see what they do with Merribit's character after what she witnessed and how she will interact with Orga after this. There's been one too many episodes where she has been forced to watch children fed to the fires of war.
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote
It'd be a real killer if something happened to Makanai before he got elected, like getting assassinated or something. And yeah, I agree with Gina, it's really sad that Ein's hellbent on slaughtering Tekkadan for Crank's sake when that's not he would want. Well, I suppose Ein facing the boy who killed his comrade was inevitable, can't wait to see how Ein reacts when he finds out it was Mika.

Despite how tragic everything was, I kinda had to laugh at Ein finally taking out Shino. The guy's been after Shino for the longest time, and he's just dangling him and celebrating like a cat that's finally caught its prey.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I might be wrong, but I thought that they announced a second season quite some time ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13