• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon" (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Ha, I smell some jealousy coming from Ootori this episode. Mari also reminds me of spoiler[Shinoa (from Seraph)] for some reason.

Funny episode I guess but the ending implies something else dark about her. Not to mention, we know that she is a witch....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
^
Darker vibes, sure, though I don't think it will be anything deal-breaking since she's part of the crew in the intro and the way things are looking the issue of what she's done in the past seems like it will come in to play sooner rather than later.

Seeing that the mock battles are fought with paintballs... poor Takeru probably can't parry those - he'd most likely just get hit with the paint anyway, but maybe he has some tricks up his sleeve for the next round. Sure didn't look like it in round 1, though.

I like how they made a deal about Lapis preferring to be in human form, joining the Academy and pretending to be the main character's younger sister... and then she pretty much disappears for the rest of the episode, including not showing up at his house. I mean, she's in the room for one of the episode's many arguments but she just sits there silently. The rest of the scenes she's not even present. Such a rapid demotion.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
I like how they made a deal about Lapis preferring to be in human form, joining the Academy and pretending to be the main character's younger sister... and then she pretty much disappears for the rest of the episode, including not showing up at his house. I mean, she's in the room for one of the episode's many arguments but she just sits there silently. The rest of the scenes she's not even present. Such a rapid demotion.

Yeah, they really kind of screwed up by introducing two characters forced upon him, in that they were only really able to show one, the witch Mari. Presumably she would also encroach on his personal daily life.

Lapis kind of makes me think of Blade Dance's Est, but presumably she would be more of the emotionless side, with less fanservice. Kind of looks like Mari is filling that other side though, but also a bit of Trinity Seven's Levi. Actually a few elements make me think of Trinity Seven. So far I think how Mari is woven in the story will be the deciding factor of how good this is.

Some points at him getting angry at the fighting, also the other girl too.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
Lapis didn't appear much this episode. Why wasn't she at his house?
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
I took away that Lapis was introduced to the school as his younger sister so it wouldn't be out-of-place for her to be seen with him with the team. Outside of school, she stays wherever she's been staying (with the principal, I'd assume).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
The principal said she "liked" to take human form. She obviously doesn't have to. Since she is now contracted to Takeru as a magic "relic eater" she is likely immaterial when not seen. I doubt she is far from him, resident in his sword or in his soul or whatever. I think the principal was just explaining why she was out when not needed.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Outside of school, she stays wherever she's been staying (with the principal, I'd assume).

Just assumed since they made a contract she would be with him 24/7. What happens if he got attacked at home or something?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Quote:
What happens if he got attacked at home or something?

She becomes visible.

Lapis is not a person, she is the personification of a magic item. She is with Takeru 24/7. If you can't see her it is just because she is not in human form and is invisible. They only registered her has his little sister because she enjoys taking human form. This might be inconvenient if he materialized in his room at night without a handy explanation. She may be inside him, or in his sword or in his shadow or just floating around his head.

My impression is that the other relic eaters only manifest when needed. He got one that was difficult to manage.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
My impression is that the other relic eaters only manifest when needed. He got one that was difficult to manage.

Pretty much. You can just look at what happened with Ootori's relic eater. It came from wherever it was standing by when called for but was never shown or heard beforehand.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
If they don't tone down the tsundere bitchfests pronto, I'm done. That was like listening to nonstop claws raking a chalkboard accompanied by screeching babies and squeaking Styrofoam.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
^
Hmm.. maybe I'm a masochist, but I thought it was kinda funny. I enjoyed it. Embarassed
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

This one felt really rushed in terms of pacing..can't be helped I guess with 1 cour series.

And as for the episode's fighting, I thought it was actually decent in terms of music content and action. There's a bit of psychological mind game going on with Mari too. However, the conflict resolved rather quickly and was also pretty predictable.

Well whatever, it's something that doesn't surprise me much at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
And as for the episode's fighting, I thought it was actually decent in terms of music content and action.

Yeah though I think the CGI looks awkward and the Engrish doesn't do the show any favors. I'm usually not a fan of full armor designs anyway. It just doesn't look cool to me and I know it's magic armor, but in my mind armor = cumbersome. I do like the Iron Man face/hud shots though.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
^
I rather liked Haunted's armor, though I agree about the CGI being awkward.

The whole Mari's backstory issues has been very swiftly resolved. I think this is merciful development since it seems that Ouri and Mari are getting along a little bit better so hopefully the arguing will be more bearable now.

On a side note, I'm wondering if the show will make clear whether or not the two people in the opposing team in the arena injured in the initial appearance of Haunted are dead or not. The girl the flower came out of looks like she was probably toast, but it's pretty unclear how much damage the guy hit by the vines took. I was watching pretty tired though, so I may have missed some indicators on lethality.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I doubt we'll get any status reports on them. They seemed to just be red shirts there to provide a stage for him to make a grand entrance, and we're expected to forget about them once that purpose is served.

That was tolerable. If they keep the inter-tsundere sniping to the tag scenes, I can live with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7