• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon" (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
If the opening of the show serves as a hint, it shows that the rest of that squad "disappears" and only the female and male are left (with the male heavily scarred). And I have to agree on the usage of CGI, it doesn't really blend well with the 2D backgrounds.

That aside. . . the pacing of this show has been really bothering me. It feels like things are progressing way too fast. Maybe it's just me but I can't help but feel like that things would be better at a slightly slower pace. I do think this is a good show but the pacing just makes it a little worse. I do like the character's banters with each other but I hope they don't over use it as a joke.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

The pacing was indeed pretty bad in this episode. And I would say that in general the flow of the battle was also a bit of a mess. For example we get him being stabbed and on the ground so that Mari has to step in to fight him, but then we see that they are still fighting anyway. It kind of felt like it jumped around too much without making the whole entirely coherent. Not enough time to focus on several important parts that it felt like it was largely just telling the story without letting experience it.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
^
The girl the flower came out of looks like she was probably toast, but it's pretty unclear how much damage the guy hit by the vines took. I was watching pretty tired though, so I may have missed some indicators on lethality.

The flower girl was a clone. Haunted mentioned that when he tossed her body at Takeru. There is also this pic from the OP.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Weakest episode so far imo. I guess it's because I'm not much of an Usagi fan up to this point in the series. She got a major role this week and her overall connection the plot felt like it was more of awkward drama.

Not to mention, there's also a lot of fan service and misunderstanding as well. Good for Usagi fans though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
That aside. . . the pacing of this show has been really bothering me. It feels like things are progressing way too fast. Maybe it's just me but I can't help but feel like that things would be better at a slightly slower pace. I do think this is a good show but the pacing just makes it a little worse. I do like the character's banters with each other but I hope they don't over use it as a joke.

So far were going at a rate of 1 volume every 2 episodes. For reference the other 2 similar LN anime this season (Asterisk, and Rakudai.) both took 4 episodes for the first volume. So yeah basically rip pacing. AMA got the typical rushed LN adaptation treatment.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
episode five

I rather liked this episode. The humor felt more naturally integrated and in an act of great mercy everyone wasn't yelling at each other. Plus, Usagi's panic attack was pretty well done.

Anime character really need to band together and make a rule that if someone makes you wear embarrassing cosplay then that someone must also wear embarrassing cosplay. It's only right.

Poor Takeru. He's almost sure to lose out on his opportunity to make some desperately needed cash in his efforts to help Usagi.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
Anime character really need to band together and make a rule that if someone makes you wear embarrassing cosplay then that someone must also wear embarrassing cosplay.

Fair enough but I think Usagi's cosplay costume seems to go beyond embarrassing. I'm not even sure what she is supposed to be other than illegal.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 5:

Weakest episode so far imo. I guess it's because I'm not much of an Usagi fan up to this point in the series. She got a major role this week and her overall connection the plot felt like it was more of awkward drama.

Not to mention, there's also a lot of fan service and misunderstanding as well. Good for Usagi fans though.

It was good for an Usagi fan. I am pretty sure I have said it before that I find her the more likable character. The other characters to some extent have felt like they have been thrown in for their archetypes, but Usagi has felt like simply existing here, and clearly wears her heart on her sleeve.

Actually, I don't think I can explain why I like her character. She is fairly similar to the brawler character in last season's Sky Wizards Academy, but for whatever reason I felt like that one was more shallow while Usagi feels more engaging. From an outside perspective she oozes moe from being small yet having big boobs, but there is just something about her character despite that, that gets me interested in her. I think it must be some of the acting.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
HelloBucket wrote:
Anime character really need to band together and make a rule that if someone makes you wear embarrassing cosplay then that someone must also wear embarrassing cosplay.

Fair enough but I think Usagi's cosplay costume seems to go beyond embarrassing. I'm not even sure what she is supposed to be other than illegal.

Her outfit is legal in New York ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). She could go topless if she wants.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Damn, I really don't like that Reima guy. Such a creepy bastard and he proves it through his actions this episode. It's like he knows exactly how to torment Usagi mentally.

The episode felt rushed but since it does somehow captures a few of the thrilling feeling. Ouka really underestimated her opponents tbh and fell into a trap. Also, about time we find out more about Usagi's past and it looked painful at what happened to her bro.

The action was okay, felt a bit silly because Usagi had that wedding dress on imo. Reima didn't impress me much with his fighting skills but hey, at least they were able to save Ouka.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to get invested into anything that is going on when everything happens so fast.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah, we don't even get to see the fight between Reima and Takeru. It's hard to even call the fast pacing exciting when they cut out the combat, too.

Still, nice to see Usagi find some of her confidence. Also, we got to see Ikaruga in cosplay, so my proposed rule has been fulfilled.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:
So we get some focus about Ikagura this episode.
No wonder she often speaks sometimes with that mischievous personality of hers. The part with her past seems odd as I think she doesn't understand what family, friends, comrades although is very interested in knowing about it.

LOL, what a tease at the end. S-e-marks the spot Question
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Whoa wha..? First Suginami is underground then suddenly she is back on the ground..? Weren't Kusanagi and friends supposed to follow her to the sewers? The others got captured..? The principal goes to war with someone? What is going on?!

Well interesting ending, but knowing Kusanagi and these kinds of protagonists in general, nothing is going to happen.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Whoa wha..? First Suginami is underground then suddenly she is back on the ground..? Weren't Kusanagi and friends supposed to follow her to the sewers? The others got captured..? The principal goes to war with someone? What is going on?!

I thought it was pretty clear. Suginami was in the sewers, then she got captured by the mercenaries her sister hired and they brought her above ground. Lapis probably sensed that and so Mari lead them back to the surface through a route she thought was safe (but wasn't). Takeru saves Suginami but gets separated from the others who are then captured by the mercenaries.

The main branch of the Alchemist Company washes their hands of the rogue division run by Suginami's sister and now the principal is getting ready to go destroy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7