• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Beach Episodes Worth Watching

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
For anime film series, I voted for Urusei Yatsura with the reasoning that "I like more than one movie in that series". Beautiful Dreamer has been my favourite anime film since I first saw it in the 1990s (although The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya movie is in striking range now), and I'm also a big fan of Mamoru Oshii's other Urusei Yatsura movie, Only You, even if it's a lot more straightforward a comedy than the contemplative and surreal Beautiful Dreamer. I also have films 3 and 5 on DVD, and I have 6 on Laserdisc (although it was really a 10th anniversary TV movie with different designs than the rest of the series). I never got around to owning or even seeing 4, which I understand is the most divisive Urusei Yatsura film.

It's straining to be as "abstract" as an Oshii movie, and even worse, it's not even trying to be comedy--Any attempt at TV-friendly laughs end at around the ten or fifteen minute mark.
3 at least tried for a little bit of attempt at Dreamer eeriness, before going into more standard Yamazaki's fairytale sentimentality, but 4 is worth seeing once. And once you do, you'll know why I say "once".

Still, I wouldn't call it a film "series" in the sense of Persona or DBZ.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I, for one, was very disappointed by the beach episode in Another because nobody got eaten by a shark.
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:40 am Reply with quote
For last weeks poll my pick was one I didn't expect to win but I was hoping to see get a bit more love than she did, how could one not party with Ryoko?

As to the new poll, I added a film series from my earlier years as an anime fan because for sheer foolishness it still brings a smile to my face when I watch them, even though many aspects didn't work so well in the later movies, and that is the Project A-ko! series, which actually fits the description of film series...Smile.

As well I wanted to end this with my congratulations to the author for her marriage, as she noted in the beginning of her article. I've got my 12th anniversary coming up this month, so I wish you as much joy and love in yours as I have found in mine and still do.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
Ah, the Sailor Moon dinosaur episode was on this list; probably from what I'm guessing, the hardest to find SM episode from the classic anime (was it released on the new DVD releases of R though, just wondering)?
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on getting married!

For Another (I won't use spoiler tags since it was given away in the column), I wasn't actually a fan of the beach episode, nor the series in general. The second I saw the boat I just thought "One of them is getting hit by it." Then they did, and I'm just sitting there going "what did I just ****ing say." That one in particular I didn't feel had quite the payoff of some others. I'd like the see more horror anime made, I have a feeling its popularity is due in large part to a lack of anime in the genre. I mean there's Higurashi... Another season of Higurashi.......... and then you really have to start stretching it to action series that just happen to have zombies or vampires or something. I mean that stuff can be horror, but seeing Alucard in Hellsing Ultimate killing a dude isn't the same sense of dread you get walking into the shadows in PT. I want more Silent Hill 2 and less Resident Evil 6.

Also Gurren Laggan is always a correct answer.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
What? no Mahoromatic on the beach with a giant crab monster? That's gotta be one of my all time favorites... that one testing of trust moved the story, but it was also quite funny... much more than most beach eps. are IMHO.

CRAB MONSTER.

and yeah. late to the party. Wink

https://youtu.be/vy94ZSuQJnc?t=1m36s
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I was really hoping to see Another on the list when I saw the title of this post. Was not disappointed. Very Happy

I remember when first watching it and seeing we were getting a beach episode... I was like "seriously, a 'lets go to the beach' episode in this show??"

They managed to keep the tension up the whole time and the episode actually had some important plot information too, toward the end.

Sure, it was an excuse to put the girls in bathing suits as always, but it was an interesting episode and it did not break the immersion of a short horror series as I first feared it would.

Glad to see NHK on there too. It's worth noting that our pathetic MC spoiler[manages to talk everyone else out of killing themselves before he decides to jump himself. Then he gets talked down, in a way, by Misaki.]

Love both shows
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:01 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Ah, the Sailor Moon dinosaur episode was on this list; probably from what I'm guessing, the hardest to find SM episode from the classic anime (was it released on the new DVD releases of R though, just wondering)?
Yes, episode 67 was released on the new home video release from Viz and was even given an uncut English dub. As for my favorite beach episode in an anime, I personally love the beach episode in Cardcaptor Sakura. I loved it because I felt like it did expand on character development for Sakura and Syaoran and we learned more about Syaoran's home life. I felt like Sakura's fight against the Erase card was really well done and they did a good job of building up suspense in this episode. I also liked they didn't do any awkward moe fanservice for these characters but Cardcaptor Sakura is from the pre-moe days of anime. But it was still refreshing to have a beach episode that was actually squeaky clean. I also thought the Ouran beach episode was pretty funny.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:02 am Reply with quote
Oh and who can forget the hilarity of the Azumanga Daioh beach episodes and Yukari-sensei's crazy driving?
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You quit watching way before the beach episode, which is number 208.

In case anybody else is curious, episode 208 is not the beach episode of Bleach.
From looking at the episode titles in the encyclopedia I suspect that it is episode 228, "Summer, Sea, Swimsuit Festival!!", and 208 was just a typo. Unfortunately the DVD set that I just got goes up to only episode 217, so I cannot confirm that right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5