• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Manga Focuses on 29-Year-Old Women Drinking Beer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tajima

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I like how the article states (multiple times) that the name of the manga is "Nomu Joshi" when "Nomi Joshi" is clearly written on the cover in hiragana (and romanized in English...).
fencer_x

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
cloud8100 wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
Three nearly 30 women drinking alcohol together? Here's hoping they have more to talk about than 1) being single 2) being married/in a relationship 3) being moms 4) how being employed impacts their ability to be in/maintain a relationship/marriage/family.

Sterotyping much?

That...was their point. Most stories about women seem to have them talking about men and relationships for the most part. As if these women can't be people themselves outside of a relationship, and if they're not in a relationship they always wish they were.

OP was sarcastically hoping there might be something more to it than the above points (but probably not).
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
You had me at "manga about adult women". I don't like alcohol myself (can't stand the taste or burn) but anything about grown women deserves a look.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
If Nomi Joshi were to become an anime show one day, I hope the adaptation won't focus too much on the alcohol...
Shirohae

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
boooorrrrrinnnnggggg........not my cup of tea...
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a beer drinker, but this looks fun!
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
Shirohae wrote:
...not my cup of tea...

You surely meant to say "not my mug of beer".
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:48 am Reply with quote
Doubt there'd be an anime.

Manga encompass all sorts of stories, but anime are strongly biased towards juvenile stories. And alcohol chit-chat tend to be boring to watch for those who nomikai all the time like Japanese do.

Chrno2 wrote:

But does everyone know your name?

Cheers!

I mean, Norm!

fencer_x wrote:
cloud8100 wrote:

Sterotyping much?

That...was their point. Most stories about women seem to have them talking about men and relationships for the most part. As if these women can't be people themselves outside of a relationship, and if they're not in a relationship they always wish they were.

Heheh the Bechdel Test Laughing

SillyPerson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
This is SO derivative. I've already seen an anime all about 29-year-old women drinking beer, featuring Misato Katsuragi and Ritsuko Akagi as 2 women who are 29 years old and get drunk together, along with their male friend Ryoji Kaji who is also the same age and also drinks beer with them. The only thing different in this manga is that in this new manga all 3 characters are female. Otherwise it's completely derivative of Neon Genesis Evangelion... just like every other anime and manga released in the last 20 years.

OK, OK, so that's not entirely accurate. Actually Ritsuko Akagi and Ryoji Kaji are 30, not 29, Misato Katsuragi is the only one that's 29. But otherwise I stand by all the misstatements that I've made... this is just another manga that is derivative of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I mean remember the scene when Shinji first moves in to Misato's house and she is drinking beer like crazy and all she has in the fridge is nothing but beer? And then in like 3 different episodes that happens again at her apartment. And then she is out drinking with Ritsuko and Kaji and gets really really drunk.

Of course, Neon Genesis Evangelion wasn't that original either. It stole the whole idea of women getting drunk all the time from an earlier anime, Maison Ikkoku, which has several women in it who are drunk all the time. But people forget about that nowadays, that even Neon Genesis Evangelion was derivative of earlier works.

Of course, Maison Ikkoku was likewise derivative, since there are old kanji manuscripts dating back hundreds of years to the Warring States Era about women who get drunk all the time. And those, in turn, were influenced by far older texts from mainland China about women getting drunk that were written thousands of years ago... this is discussed in both the writings of Lao Tze Tsu and Confucius, as well as the 20th Century derivative version of those writings, Chairman Mao's Little Red Book.

I wish people would just stop copying each other and think of something original for a change!
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:38 am Reply with quote
Just beautiful Cool
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:54 am Reply with quote
SillyPerson wrote:
...Misato Katsuragi is the only one that's 29.

Actually, she's 31.

Quote:
I wish people would just stop copying each other and think of something original for a change!

Well, it looks like you'll be waiting forever for that to happen- even the "most original" works are derivatives of another source to some extent.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:03 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Three nearly 30 women drinking alcohol together? Here's hoping they have more to talk about than 1) being single 2) being married/in a relationship 3) being moms 4) how being employed impacts their ability to be in/maintain a relationship/marriage/family.

Well from the sketches it looks like the first one is an office worker, second character is married with kids. Third is in some type of relationship. So I would be very surprised if these topics don't come up.

Edit: I suppose the guy in the 3rd picture could just be the working for the 3rd woman in her shop.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
SillyPerson wrote:

No. Senpai must notice me.

Joking aside, if the material is good then it doesn't matter if it were inspired by another work.
zsxvzvzdvzxvxzvxzv

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
Awesome I love Booze and I love Manga. It's pretty different Manga from what's out there. Usually it's about Junior high school students, High school students. Can't wait to watch the Anime. Very Happy
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:07 am Reply with quote
Remember ladies, always drink responsibly. Laughing

When you notice no one is asking for your ID when you buy alcohol, you'll realise no one cares about your age when you're drinking it either, they'll only care when you get so rat-arsed you become embarrassing and/or anti-social. Wink

For the life of me I can't figure out who the target demography this is for. Why would I want to read a manga about a bunch of women getting pissed on beer in a pub when I can just go to my local and watch it in real life? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3