• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tiger & Bunny Tops Most-Wanted Original Anime Sequel Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Funny. All we hear all the time is that 'Japanese don't like western influenced anime' and/or non otaku/fujoshi shows anymore. Yet here we are with Tiger & Bunny, Mononoke, Panty & Stocking, Space Dandy, Psycho Pass, Darker than Black on this list. You don't get much more 'western influenced' than T&B, Psycho Pass or Panty & Stocking. Actually there's not a single 'moe' title on this list.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the respondents were 80% female? Even that proves though that women like more than just hot guys playing sports and acting yaoi. True Tiger&Bunny and Psycho Pass have hot guys but there's no Free! or things like that on the list. If anything this survey seems to contradict the conventional wisdom that there's no audience for shows that don't focus on hot guys and/or hot girls.

13,000 is not a country and considering Panty and Stocking sold way less than that poll results do not equal sales which is all that matters when it come to financing anime.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Here's another poll about sequels: female version and male version.

For the original poll, I still want a sequel or spin off where spoiler[Kaede, Kotetsu's super powered daughter] either joins the heroes or sets up her own team. There still is the Ouroboros society that wasn't clarified.

Shirobako's ending was perfect for possible continuation. Oh, how I wish they would cover license deals with overseas distributors or film production/campaign.

I rather see a Space Dandy film than a season 2. I love the series but, a film where all hell breaks loose would be a sight to behold.

Still, very odd that Space Dandy and Mononoke are on the list since they, allegedly, didn't sell well but, are cult favorites.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
T&B and DtB are two original series that I'd like to see more, there are still many things that need to be resolved. And I'm glad people still remember Hell Girl.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
You better believe T and B is on there. Its on my personal list two but Madoka not on there???
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
my only hope for an actual tiger and bunny sequel is that they go off the anime and not the film so as to keep the continuity solid and not confuse the heck out of people like eureka seven AO did going off of the film and not the previous anime title

Are you referring to The Rising or the compilation films? I've never seen the compilation films but The Rising is its self a sequel to the tv series so unless the next installment takes place in between them I don't see them disregarding the movie.

I would love to see sequels to T&B and Dennō Coil but I dought DC is very likely.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
my only hope for an actual tiger and bunny sequel is that they go off the anime and not the film so as to keep the continuity solid and not confuse the heck out of people like eureka seven AO did going off of the film and not the previous anime title

That's not exactly the case.

spoiler[AO is set in an alternate continuity, but that doesn't mean it's in the movie's continuity, which made some significant changes to the lore. AO's continuity lines up more closely with the original series, while still having a few notable links to the movie. It's kind of like a weird fusion of the TV and movie continuities, but mostly the TV show.]

On another note, was the T&B movie actually like that? Not a sequel, per se, but sort of it's own separate thing from the TV series? In which case, that would be confusing for new viewers if it picked up where the movie left off, but if not, there's no reason another season wouldn't acknowledge the movie as canon.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
This poll was posted on tumblr and anyone could vote not just Japanese fans. People were reblogging this poll left and right with the romanization of the titles so it was easy for fans who didn't speak Japanese to vote. I voted for Tiger & Bunny in the original category so happy it won. But I bet the fact that international fans voted skewed the results a bit.

And also there was a poll not just for original works but adapted works as well. I would like to see the poll results for that too. Smile
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:

On another note, was the T&B movie actually like that? Not a sequel, per se, but sort of it's own separate thing from the TV series? In which case, that would be confusing for new viewers if it picked up where the movie left off, but if not, there's no reason another season wouldn't acknowledge the movie as canon.

Nope. All it really did was introduce a couple of new characters and villains that only ever really mattered to the movies and then promptly discared them afterwards so they wouldn't contradict anything in a potential second season. Sunrise knew what they were doing with those...which makes the actual lack of a second season all the stranger
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
This poll was posted on tumblr and anyone could vote not just Japanese fans.

Okay THIS explains a lot then lol. I really hope something comes out of it though, I would really love more Panty & Stocking. I really need to watch T&B it's been on my to-do list for awhile now.

keichitsu0305 wrote:
Here's another poll about sequels: female version and male version.

Aaaand the male version is nothing but moe bait >.> Somehow I'm not surprised.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Good to know that of all the things that can grab Japanese women's attention these days, T&B is still #1 in their hearts. Also, props for their like of Mononoke and Dennou Coil. Please love Densuke.

keichitsu0305 wrote:
For the original poll, I still want a sequel or spin off where spoiler[Kaede, Kotetsu's super powered daughter] either joins the heroes or sets up her own team.

Since I've been wanting to run a tabletop campaign in the T&B universe for a while, I'd be hella interested.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Cross Ange. Also Majestic Prince and Pretear (which were ADAPTED into a manga as part of a multi-media project)
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind if Shirobako were to have a sequel one day. Smile
Foxaika

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:

All the good stuff. Razz

Seriously, I would love another season of No Game No Life or Nichijou.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Maybe it has to do with the fact that the respondents were 80% female? Even that proves though that women like more than just hot guys playing sports and acting yaoi. True Tiger&Bunny and Psycho Pass have hot guys but there's no Free! or things like that on the list. If anything this survey seems to contradict the conventional wisdom that there's no audience for shows that don't focus on hot guys and/or hot girls.

Just want to say that much of the audience at the Psycho-Pass movie screening were female and they were literally screaming and kicking when certain male characters appeared on screen. Yes. In the freaking cinema.

Lili-Hime wrote:

You say that like it's a bad thing. (^.^;) Not to mention, I really disagree with your usage of the term "moe bait" to homogenize all the anime, considering the fact that all of them are so varied, but whatever.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:

Are you referring to The Rising or the compilation films? I've never seen the compilation films but The Rising is its self a sequel to the tv series so unless the next installment takes place in between them I don't see them disregarding the movie.

I would love to see sequels to T&B and Dennō Coil but I dought DC is very likely.

due to the chaos that is life and work I Honestly have yet to watch the rising, the beginning was pretty much an alternate starting point character introductions are a little different and it just has a rebootish feel to me to be honest

@double07: I was trying to not give spoilers away cause I do know of several people who I converse with who were confused and I had to explain it to them, also I was posting half an hour after I had just woken up so I was a little groggy and out of it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3