• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: All Out!! Rugby Manga Gets TV Anime in 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
Rugby eh? So, what are the odds that women's roller Derby might get an anime because this is one super niche sport. Guess sports anime are selling well enough to take risks with lesser known games.

This is reminding me of the Marvel films revival taking a chance with Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man. Keep that gravy train running!! Very Happy
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
You yanks, with your "if we don't play it, it must be niche" cuteness.
chronium

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Rugby eh? So, what are the odds that women's roller Derby might get an anime because this is one super niche sport. Guess sports anime are selling well enough to take risks with lesser known games.

This is reminding me of the Marvel films revival taking a chance with Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man. Keep that gravy train running!! Very Happy

I'm wondering when we'll be seeing a Ice Hockey series.
Barciad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I would have called it 'Rising Scrum'....
get's coat....
Barciad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Played the game since I was 9. Far more technical that football ('soccer' if you're American), and hence why it can be harder to understand. Yet the basics are pretty intuitive.
1. You can run carrying the ball
2. Passing is only done backwards and sideways
3. You can tackle the man with the ball anywhere below the neckline
4. If you are successfully tackled (i.e. on the floor), you must let go of the ball.
True, there are complications; especially concerning the 'offside' rule, but these can be understood by anyone with a brain and some patience. Also see 'rucks', 'mauls', 'scrums', and 'lineouts'.
Put bluntly, if you can understand American Football, then you can understand Rugby .

Speaking of games with confusing rules. I am looking forward to that 'Cricket' manga and subsequent anime.
Kai99

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Best thing about manga/anime. You can something of almost every topic under the sun!
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh, looking forward to this one! I wonder if they're specifically picking sports that haven't been done in anime format to attract viewers. At least it makes things feel a little fresh. Hoping for hockey (any of them) or a winter sport next.

How popular is rugby in Japan, anyway? It's not super popular in the US, but everyone knows what it is. I've heard that more and more high schools and colleges are forming teams, too. I had a friend who played on the women's team. It was really fun and intimidating to watch.
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:38 am Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
How popular is rugby in Japan, anyway?

Actually pretty popular.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union_in_Japan

Looks like the domestic code adapted poorly to the rise of professionalism internationally, and then it took another hit from the J-League launch. The seventies to mid-eighties manga I've read it showed up more than soccer, I think, which fits in with that timeline.
48 Rices

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
If the All Blacks choke against France again, in the quarter finals again, at Cardiff again, New Zealand will disown them. Please Richie, let's not have yet another shocker . . . for crying out loud, just kick the drop goal already . . . . . .

enurtsol wrote:
Most here wouldn't even know the rules

I know what you mean. Rugby is a niche sport compared to football, and so most here wouldn't even know what it was let alone what the rules are.

But this is as good an excuse as any to launch into rant mode. No-one knows the rules in rugby. No-one. The rule book is more like a tome and is so bloated and arcane that players, commentators, and spectators are often left scratching their heads as to the weird rules that exist. To make it worse, referees simply guess for a lot of their calls, especially at scrum time and the breakdown. They would never say it publicly, but many have admitted off the record to doing so.

I guess rugby is a great game in spite of its laws, rather than because of them.

I found it hard to differentiate union and league rugbies, anyone care to explain?

I started to learn a bit about rugby after playing rugby 08 on ps2, such a good game with great obscure soundtracks. EA should do their rugby more like their Madden games.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
Sports with bishounens.....say no more I'm in.

Well I am in as long as it has realistic sports not super power sports. So I will hope for the best. Smile
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
Rugby sounds like a good choice for a sports anime.
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
48 Rices wrote:
I found it hard to differentiate union and league rugbies, anyone care to explain?

If the person with the ball is tacked in league, the ball becomes dead and play is restarted with a play-the-ball, which resembles a US football scrimmage with only one player in each line. Very quick to arrange, and keeps the game flowing.

In union, the ball remains alive and people from each side pile onto the person-with-the-ball, forming a knot of people called a "maul". This ties up the defensive players, so that when the ball gets free there's a good chance of getting it a long way down the field.

There's lots of other differences, but that's the one that has the most obvious impact on play. Net result is that League is uniform and evenly flowing, and union is stop-start but can be fast-moving in the start bits. They look pretty differently in play. Union's by far the bigger sport internationally, and what they play in japan.

[is victorian, so doesn't pay much attention to either.]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
^
An Aussie Rules anime would be cool. It's played in Japan, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
48 Rices wrote:

Nargun already said some stuff, but here's my explanation on it:

Union has fifteen aside, league has thirteen aside, so league players have more space on the field as there are fewer defenders.

Union has one more point for each successful try and penalty goalkick than league does.

League does not have lineouts when the ball goes out, and scrums are almost always uncontested (meaning no-one attempts to win or defend the ball). This is actually really important. With league having no lineouts and only vestigial scrums, short, heavyset guys are useless. The backs and forwards in league look pretty interchangeable. Whereas in union there is still a clear difference between fast and agile backs, and powerful and dominating forwards.

In league, if you are tackled to the ground the opposition must retreat away from you. Then you simply stand up, roll the ball backwards with your foot and your team plays on, running the ball up field. Once a set of six of these have been completed it is the other team's turn, unless you score points before the set is finshed.

In union, however, when you are tackled a breakdown occurs where both teams pile on the bodies in an attempt to win the ball. Yes, even the defending team can steal the ball if they are good enough. Play does not stop unless the ball cannot be recovered by either team or one team gives away a penalty. There are a lot of weird rules with regards to the breakdown, but it is arguably the most important part of the game.

Due to the above, league players are generally more athletic and acrobatic than union players, and their tries are on average more spectacular (and more numerous). But there is little variety of gameplay in league, and the teams don't strategise much. There's more focus on individual skill rather than team plays.

Whereas union teams have more regimented defensive structures and more focus on strategy and tactical moves than in league. Also, union rewards players of all body sizes, which can make for exciting mismatches. For example, such as when an agile fullback runs rings around a slow-moving forward, or when a huge prop tramples over the frail flyhalf.

As for union's downsides, it is annoyingly stop-start - especially at scrum time - and so can be fairly boring. The amount of injury breaks means a significant part of a match is just watching players standing around drinking from waterbottles or getting their hamstrings stretched.

I prefer union by a huge margin, but league does make the highlights reel more often just because of the all the crazy aerial stunts they can perform. Plus a more open field means more awesome tries like these.

errinundra wrote:
An Aussie Rules anime would be cool.

Athletic bishounens in short shorts? Fujoshi would absolutely go wild with the yaoi doujinshi.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
^
You've made me see Aussie Rules in a whole new light but, by golly, I think you'd be right about the doujinshi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2