• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Owarimonogatari Anime to Cover 1st 2 Novel Volumes in 12 Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Not so weird, I guess... Not everyone perceives a lot of that stuff the same way, especially Araragi's predatory behavior.

Besides, clearly I can only bitch and moan so much without admitting that I watch EVERY DAMN MINUTE no matter what sickening thing may be going on. It's extremely beautiful and well done, and frankly my life would be less without Tsubasa's and Hitagi's voice actors creating those goddesses for me.

Tbh i found his pervertish nature to be kinda refreshing. i know its been done before but it would be worse if he was the "don't do it! that's just wrong!". I like that he's not a complete golden boy, he has flaws. Im gonna be stupid and say its one of the parts of growing up (lol)

And yeah that's fair enough. At least you have watched all of it and has enough of an experience to state you dislikes, what i hate are those that dont even watch an episode and forever have it on their "top 10 things i love to hate on" list. Its the only series besides Ace of Diamond i've watched more than two times and I just want to watch it again
Kreion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
thofheinz wrote:
Quote:
I have a weird love for everything in the series, but i can understand your dislikes that you stated in the previous comments.

Not so weird, I guess... Not everyone perceives a lot of that stuff the same way, especially Araragi's predatory behavior.

Besides, clearly I can only bitch and moan so much without admitting that I watch EVERY DAMN MINUTE no matter what sickening thing may be going on. It's extremely beautiful and well done, and frankly my life would be less without Tsubasa's and Hitagi's voice actors creating those goddesses for me.

thofheinz wrote:
Quote:
Given the amount of praise the novel gets from novel readers like yourselves, they don't have to worry about the hype dying off even if they release it at the very end.

You have a point. I dislike Shinbo intensely and absolutely despise Araragi's character, but I keep watching anyway for those beautiful moments like Hitagi End, where Shinbo does his job and Araragi only shows up for a few seconds, and I seem to be easily trolled when it comes to Kizu, which is what pisses me off.

All of this is made richer by reading the novels, even in poor translation. It will be cool when they're translated into English.

All I have to do is stop watching, but I keep coming back for the beauty and drama despite a pedophile main character, because of Tsubasa and Hitagi and Kaiki. And, of course, the performance of the very great Chiwa Saito.

Incidentally, the only part of the saga where I like Araragi is Kizu. Odd.

???Why Araragi is a great character - you're just wrong if you think otherwise. You're free to dislike him (I don't think you can enjoy the series without finding him at least entertaining though) but he's a well constructed, interesting character and all this is true despite him having no arcs which revolve around him.

If you honestly take 80% of his behavior seriously then you don't understand Monogatari as a WHOLE, not just him. The entire series constantly has characters do things which are played as a joke with every character in the scene knowing they are playing is as a joke - half the time the characters reference this themselves.

Why the fudge do you watch Monogatari if you dislike the main character and Shinbo - Shinbo's style is about the most accurate representation of the way the books are written you will ever get. So not only do you dislike Shinbo you also dislike the style the books are written in...are you a masochist?

Also I find it hilarious you think Kaiki is somehow better than Araragi? He is an asshole who will stamp people into the ground and walk off with a smile - that's why it's interesting when we see it from his perspective, that's why he's also a good character.
thofheinz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't have been clearer that I find the series far greater in scope and achievement than any amount of stuff I don't like in it, which is why I watch it.

Your other points...well, they're your other points.

Quote:
???Why Araragi is a great character - you're just wrong if you think otherwise. You're free to dislike him (I don't think you can enjoy the series without finding him at least entertaining though) but he's a well constructed, interesting character and all this is true despite him having no arcs which revolve around him.

If you honestly take 80% of his behavior seriously then you don't understand Monogatari as a WHOLE, not just him. The entire series constantly has characters do things which are played as a joke with every character in the scene knowing they are playing is as a joke - half the time the characters reference this themselves.

Why the fudge do you watch Monogatari if you dislike the main character and Shinbo - Shinbo's style is about the most accurate representation of the way the books are written you will ever get. So not only do you dislike Shinbo you also dislike the style the books are written in...are you a masochist?

Also I find it hilarious you think Kaiki is somehow better than Araragi? He is an asshole who will stamp people into the ground and walk off with a smile - that's why it's interesting when we see it from his perspective, that's why he's also a good character.
HEY!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Mayo Hell,"

Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Very much looking forward to this and I'm glad that they plan to cover as much as possible.

Lol, Kizu when?
It's been ages since we've last heard of the news..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote
It's bad enough that Kizu has been so delayed but it's just made worst when the best director in the Monogatari series is stuck to it, which leaves inferior talent to direct everything since.

Free OISHI.
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:19 am Reply with quote
all this is true despite him having no arcs which revolve around him.

bwuh?

Only two arcs of monogatari as broadcast aren't about Araragi: Suruga End and, to a lesser degree, Tsubasa Tiger.

[the giveaway is, it's always Araragi making the big decisions at the end of each arc that resolve things: he's the one the conflicts relate to, he's the one who's learning the lessons, and he's the one whose psyche is getting explored. He's not the main character for nothing; in a narrative sense, the girls are just tools to crack araragi open so's we can see inside him.

... they're more than that, in the end, because monogatari is well put together, but it very much is about Araragi. Yes, even Nadeko Medusa. Especially Nadeko Medusa.]
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
I can see Shaft animating the 3rd LN as a x-hours TV special, a la Nekomonogatari (Kuro) and Hanamonogatari.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2