• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Live-Action Death Note Films' Site Starts Countdown

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
Oh, for a sec, I thought you meant the alleged Hollywood remake. Anyway, I wonder, if after the show's over, they won't try to milk it with more movie spin-offs. Personally, I'd like to see Mello to get his own movie. Cool
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
I'm scared to see what this will turn out to be >.>
cosain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
this about the American live action films??

well about time Laughing Laughing Laughing

lmao this rumor has been going on since back when I was in high school haha finally after like 7 years !!!
GEO9875

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote
cosain wrote:
this about the American live action films??

well about time Laughing Laughing Laughing

lmao this rumor has been going on since back when I was in high school haha finally after like 7 years !!!
is the japanese warner brothers site so i doubt that it has anything to do with an american adaptation.
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
Wow, it's really weird to hear about this again after all this time. I'm interested, but also worried.
appleorangehead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:30 am Reply with quote
I don't really understand what's the countdown about. Are they going to announce news about another live action or are they going to release trailer?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
How can they possibly continue the story after spoiler[Light dying by L's hands?] Just adapt the Mello and Near arc, but have Teru Mikami be the main Kira this time?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
Warner Bros: "Will we release an American adaptation of Death Note? The Answer is...

YES! No. Maybe. I guess. Whatever. Go watch Batman and Superman."
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
Based on when this countdown clock concludes, this sounds like a followup film to the TV drama. Where are any of you getting the impression that this is connected to a US movie?
SillyPerson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
So this is just a countdown to the American release of the 3 Japanese live-action Death Note movies? Eh, fine, whatever, I've already seen all 3 of 'em. They are much more direct and obvious about making L into the hero and Light Yagami/Kira into the villain than the anime series, and designed to make people sympathize with L and hate Light Yagami/Kira, since the original creator was upset by how many people who watched the original series sympathized with Light Yagami/Kira instead of L. In fact the 3rd of the 3 live-action movies doesn't even have Light Yagami/Kira in it at all, it is a separate, entirely unrelated adventure in which the great detective L is the hero. In these live-action movies they try to make it blindingly obvious that L is the good guy and Light Yagami/Kira is the bad guy, so much that it feels like they keep hitting you over the head with that morality again and again. They did do pretty good CGI effects for the shinigami. And the plot of the first 2 movies (which are an alternate retelling of the anime series) is rather simplified compared to the original series, with a different ending and a lot less characters. The 3rd movie is entirely different from anything in the anime series with the character L being the only thing it has in common at all. As far as whether I'd recommend the films or not... if you are a fan of Death Note then probably yes, if you didn't like the Death Note anime than probably no, at least with regard to the first 2 films. With regard to the 3rd live-action film, if you want to see the detective L in an unrelated adventure I'd recommend it, but if you're not such a fan of the detective L than no. Anyway I don't think the quality of the live-action films is as good as the anime series, but of course it isn't, because the anime series has such excellent quality, the live-action films couldn't possibly hope to be as good.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
How can they possibly continue the story after spoiler[Light dying by L's hands?]

Umm... when did that ever happen? In any version of the story? Never.

So far in every version spoiler[Ryuk kills Light]. Which makes sense when you realize that spoiler[he told him he was going to do that the first time they met]. There is no version where that does not happen.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
SillyPerson wrote:
So this is just a countdown to the American release of the 3 Japanese live-action Death Note movies?

Those movies came out in North America years ago. This countdown is being hosted on a Japanese site and it ends at a time directly tying it to the live action drama's finale. I suspect this is for a new movie in the live action show's universe.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
How can they possibly continue the story after spoiler[Light dying by L's hands?]

Umm... when did that ever happen? In any version of the story? Never.

So far in every version spoiler[Ryuk kills Light]. Which makes sense when you realize that spoiler[he told him he was going to do that the first time they met]. There is no version where that does not happen.

Fine, his downfall by L's hands.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Can they really squeeze any more out of this franchise?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
Technically, Light did meet his end to L in all three versions too. It's just through indirect means.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2