• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Love Live! The School Idol Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Actar wrote:

Did a bit more research and I can't believe they're only offering the Shikishi with the Gold Class tickets... that cost 110 SGD.

You can't believe that? Aren't the central tenets of Love Live 1) cute girls singing catchy songs and 2) fleecing the franchise's many diehard fans with loads of expendable income?

While I don't deny that fact... It was more of a jab at the unfairness of Singapore's crazy and blatant money-grubbing schemes than anything else. This is especially ludicrous when when you consider the fact that people in other countries, even Japan, are able to get the signed boards at much lower prices... Not sure why making everything premium is so common here, especially with our conventions and concerts.

Well, off to buy one of them boards online for 1/10th of the cost just to spite them.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Was at the NY debut on Saturday afternoon in a packed theater, full of many other Love Livers, many in cosplay.

Saw some of the same things others mentioned, like people waving glow sticks in the audience in the musical numbers (really, glow sticks in a movie theater!?)

It seemed oddly appropriate that the group went to NYC when the movie was being shown in NY... I could tell by the reaction of the audience that many of them, like me, had avoided spoilers & did not know that was coming... when they disembarked in NYC and got in their taxis, and it became apparent Muse was in New York, the theater erupted! With the exception of some Engrish signage, it appeared the Japanese staff did their research, even going so far as to include the TKTS steps in Times Square when the girls spoiler[performed their US live.]

The scene where spoiler[Nozomi explains to Nico the Halloween tradition of tying shoes together and tossing them over a power line, only for her to rip Nico's shoes off & toss them, successfully landing them on a streetlight] got a great laugh from the audience, and the scene where spoiler[Hanyo & Rin cuddled] was met with a huge "Awwwwww!" Seeing spoiler[Yukiho & Arisa leading a new group of Idol Club members at a seemingly indeterminate point in the future, regaling them with the story of Muse] made me a little sad, as it further cemented that spoiler[Honoka & Co. stuck with their decision, Muse is done, and the movie was likely the last time we'll see the Core 9 (except maybe in cameos) as Aquors takes over the franchise. (I didn't even notice until it was pointed out here that Yukiho & Arisa were wearing 3rd-year ribbons, placing the meeting 3 years in the future, in the start of the school year following Maki, Rin & Hanayo's graduation.)]

Seeing it with an enthusiastic audience certainly made it more enjoyable, and those memories will be with me every time I watch it again. Yes, while the 2nd half of the movie was something of a retread of the end of Season 2, I didn't mind...the movie really seemed like a well-deserved victory lap for the franchise.

Now, off to CD Japan to order the import Blu-ray w/ English subs...[/spoiler]
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
@dtm42: The ending to season 2 was fantastic. I bet you disliked the Panty and Stocking ending as well.

I liked the ending to Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt.

You have no idea, do you?
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
While I don't doubt you're writing from a place of poise and detached disdain, your posts come across as so serious, my goodness.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh you.

Once again you're trying and failing to be a mind-reader. I had a quiet chuckle when I read how you think you know my reaction to all cliffhanger endings just based off of one show with its very specific circumstances.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
wmderemer wrote:
made me a little sad, as it further cemented that spoiler[[...] (I didn't even notice until it was pointed out here that Yukiho & Arisa were wearing 3rd-year ribbons, placing the meeting 3 years in the future, in the start of the school year following Maki, Rin & Hanayo's graduation.)]
spoiler[I didn't quite catch it either, but them saying "first years" pretty much made it clear, especially with them being the senpai of the group. Not sure why they didn't show their faces, though].

As far as the movie retreading the second season, I don't think that's actually a bad thing(or quite what happened): the decision there was take in new members as the third years graduate or disband as a private matter, while the movie added in the public pressure to continue and the release valve of μ's being able to stay together as a professional unit. It's the difference between deciding to march on Rome and crossing the Rubicon.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
wmderemer wrote:
made me a little sad, as it further cemented that spoiler[[...] (I didn't even notice until it was pointed out here that Yukiho & Arisa were wearing 3rd-year ribbons, placing the meeting 3 years in the future, in the start of the school year following Maki, Rin & Hanayo's graduation.)]
spoiler[I didn't quite catch it either, but them saying "first years" pretty much made it clear, especially with them being the senpai of the group. Not sure why they didn't show their faces, though].
I was under the impression that in Japanese schools that have different coloured ribbons as part of the uniform the colours were assigned to a class rather than a year - that is, if an incoming class got assigned red ribbons they would keep wearing them until they graduate. I don't recall the cast of K-On! ever changing their ribbons, and the flashback scenes in Sound! Euphonium indicate that the present-day second and third years had the same ribbon colours the year before, while the third years are shown with red ribbons, like the first years in the present. spoiler[Since Yukiho and Arisa's class are entering the school right after Eli, Nozomi and Nico's class graduate, the former would therefore be wearing the green ribbons no matter what year they're in.]
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
That was my impression as well. spoiler[But the way they act, reflecting back, does make sense for third-years. It'd also help by keeping Rin, Hanayo and Maki out of the picture].
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed it and already have it preordered for the December release, seeing how it will have English subtitles and 5.1 ch audio Very Happy

Last edited by Zoneflare on Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Actar wrote:

Did a bit more research and I can't believe they're only offering the Shikishi with the Gold Class tickets... that cost 110 SGD.

You can't believe that? Aren't the central tenets of Love Live 1) cute girls singing catchy songs and 2) fleecing the franchise's many diehard fans with loads of expendable income?
I've spent roughly $400 on Love Live merch (And that number would probably be way higher if I had a better job and more expendable income) so I guess you could say I'm a pretty big fan. But the thing is, I've got some really cool stuff with that $400 so I don't feel ripped off in the slightest. Now that being said, $100 for that tiny little board is a COMPLETE ripoff.

It's not as if it's a super special awesome collector's item. It seemed like everyone in the cinema got one where I was and searching 'Love Live shikishi' on Ebay garners no less than 15 results.

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I had a quiet chuckle when I read how you think you know my reaction to all cliffhanger endings just based off of one show with its very specific circumstances.

The "I bet you think" phrasing was intended to be rhetorical and not an actual guess at your opinion, but I realise it wasn't clear.

I meant to draw a comparison between it and another show that switched mood suddenly and introduced more plot elements at the eleventh hour. I thought they were both successful. Obviously you can like one but not the other based on other factors or your own take.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
School idoling is serious bidness!

We were laughing since the movie reminded us of High School Musical series, but like HSM we know in reality it's not so free rather idoling is so very very very commercial ya can't walk 5 paces without a management agent hitting on ya Laughing

Actar wrote:

Just came back from the SG screening and I can't believe that I'm not the only one who thought that spoiler[she was the future Honoka. (Anime exclamation) ...man, the time paradox regarding the Mic.]

She can't be arsed to learn music, and that'd be a sad fall from grace............. then again, many do end up like that once the group masking an individual lack of talent goes away.........

wmderemer wrote:

when they disembarked in NYC and got in their taxis, and it became apparent Muse was in New York,

Nope, not by the egregious lack of traffic!
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:47 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
She can't be arsed to learn music, and that'd be a sad fall from grace............. then again, many do end up like that once the group masking an individual lack of talent goes away.........

Lol, harsh. That's like story line right out of a Takotsuboya doujin.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:13 am Reply with quote
I disagree about the visuals being a "step up" from the TV series. I remember constantly thinking while watching the movie it should look better. Love Live is a hugely successful franchise and this movie is bound to sell like hotcakes as well. They movie should look flawless. But there were still a lot of stuff that made me go ehhh. It didn't look terrible but to me it felt like just a 90 minute episode.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote
It just occurred to me that there is the (unspoken) possibility that once all 9 members of Muse have graduated spoiler[(which appears to be the case at the end of the movie, positioning Yukiho & Arisa as the current 3rd Years taking over leadership of the Idol Club as they would be 1st Years when Honoka, Kotori & Umi graduate and 2nd Years when Rin, Hanayo & Maki graduate...though I couldn't tell if any of the incoming members they were talking to were Aquors members because I am not as familiar with therm yet)] that Muse could choose to reunite & go professional then, provided their college studies allow time for it...though, while Maki's parents supported her idol career while in high school, they might not support it if she chose it over becoming Dr. Nishikino, as that was where they seemed to be steering her IMHO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4