• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shigeru Miyamoto Confirms Mario's Full Name During 30th Anniversary Conference

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I hope no one actually gets annoyed at this. It really doesn't matter at all, and I bet Shigeru will end up changing his mind in future again anyways.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
Well, that's good. Now the Dr. Mario game doesn't seem as strange to me. I mean, who says Dr. [First Name]? Well, maybe some do...but I've always used the doctor's last name. Laughing

It also means they can make a Dr. Mario game, starring Luigi, and not have to change the name of the game...Wink
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:02 am Reply with quote
I still think that the "turtle-smashing, mushroom-folk-stomping, dragon(?)-riding, monster-killing, princess-rescuing, not-employed-in-their-profession plumber brothers" is a pretty good alternative.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote
DranzerX13 wrote:
Shigeru just contridicted himself, because a few years back he said Mario and Luigi didn't have last names.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/09/shigeru_miyamoto_mario_and_luigi_dont_have_last_names

However, since he created Mario Bros, he can change his mind anytime he wants.

Contradicting a statement from the director, writer, or creator can really appease fans.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I liked that fan tribute video. It was really neat to see.

blackice85 wrote:
Same with the Zelda 'timeline' too. It's too convoluted to be taken seriously, it's just for fun. I mean it's got three branching timelines (if not more with new games incoming), so it's obviously made after the fact due to fans wanting more details that were never firmly decided on in the first place.

Nothing wrong with this stuff, but it's less a confirmation and more of a retcon IMO.

Especially where Miyamoto's involved, who isn't so concerned about story in video games (I don't know much about his early non-video game stuff though), you'll see a lot of retconning. Nothing wrong with that though. He was making video games long before people were trying to piece together tiny details in video games' stories. Back then, people just wanted to get high scores and/or reach the end.

We do hear stuff like how Ocarina of Time[i] is set before the other Zelda games before it or how [i]Wind Waker is the last game in the timeline up to that point though, so even if it wasn't finalized, the guys at Nintendo at least decided to have a timeline.

IceKirby wrote:
Mario Mario and Luigi Mario names is one of the (few) good ideas of that movie, so I'm fine with that.

For some reason, I really liked how their cameras looked like rifles too, with laser scopes.

Ali07 wrote:
Well, that's good. Now the Dr. Mario game doesn't seem as strange to me. I mean, who says Dr. [First Name]? Well, maybe some do...but I've always used the doctor's last name. Laughing

It also means they can make a Dr. Mario game, starring Luigi, and not have to change the name of the game...Wink

But we already have a Dr. Luigi.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

"Thank you Mario!
But our Refugee Camp is in another castle!"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

"Thank you Mario!
But our Refugee Camp is in another castle!"

Another EU country Exclamation
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Interesting, but I guess it does make sense. The title of the series says it all and Miyamoto is pretty much George Lucas for the Mario series, except Miyamoto doesn't go back and change iconic details or scenes, which is good.

While a creator can change their story if they want, when they constantly change like Lucas does, that's when I wonder I think they should be asked an important question. That, if they still care about the story's continuity or if they so into the $ that they don't necessarily care about that anymore. I think it is hard to balance both.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
But we already have a Dr. Luigi.

So they do call the Mario Bros by their first names...strange.

But, plumbers and doctors! Mama Mario must be proud of her boys! Laughing

I honestly didn't know this game existed. But, since Nintendo consoles haven't been on my radar since the GameCube days, that's not surprising.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have had professors in college who prefer to be called by their first names, so I'm sure there are doctors who do too. (Dr. Phillip McGraw, AKA Dr. Phil, for one.)
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
Of course, Dr. Phil! Dr. McGraw doesn't have the same ring to it.

Is that show still going? Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah, actually, it is. I don't know if it's showing everywhere it used to, or if it's still being produced, but a local channel seems to like showing it four times a day or so.

On another note, there's no confirmation of "P" as a middle initial for both brothers, is there? I think that popped up in an issue of Nintendo Power.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Like was said earlier already, the Mario "brothers" only makes sense if their last name is Mario.

You don't call the Jackson's "The Maureen Siblings".

In Japan you could totally do that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2