• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Garo: Guren no Tsuki's Teaser Previews Masei Nakayama's Voice

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
I didn't expect that main character will be voiced by a live-action actor.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
Please tell me his voice acting is better than his acting, because Raiga was incredibly dull.
maoyen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
I thought the main character was a woman?
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Please tell me his voice acting is better than his acting, because Raiga was incredibly dull.

It's hardly a surprise, after all Nakayama was one of Tenimyu casts, and as much as I love Tenipuri, I must admit many casts of Tenimyu only sell their pretty looks instead of real talent. Just think it as AKB48, they sell million copies of their CDs, but actually they just sell cuteness because most members have close to zero singing talent.

Let's just hope he can do better as a voice actor. Mamoru Miyano is a Tenimyu veteran too, and look at his voice acting career now.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
Disappointed that the news about a female main character/Garo turned out to be false, I was very excited about the prospect of a Heian period heroine
bassgs435

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Disappointed that the news about a female main character/Garo turned out to be false, I was very excited about the prospect of a Heian period heroine

The Garoverse's rules explicitly forbid women from becoming Makai Knights
AtoMan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
I'm more disappointed that's it unrelated to the previous anime in any way... why would they reuse main charecters' VAs then? It happened for the secondary characters in live action series, but this?

Nothing about Hironobu Kageyama returning? :/
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

The Garoverse's rules explicitly forbid women from becoming Makai Knights

I know that, but previous news about the season had said the main character would be a woman (perhaps it was a mistranslation?). I thought it would be a nice, new spin for the franchise and a good sign for the overall anime scene that a traditionally male role was given to a female
bassgs435

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
^
Not really. Breaking an stablished rule is never a good thing. It would just alienate the already stablished fanbase, and they could even boycott it.
No business wants to take that risk.

The image of the staff involved with the anime would also suffer, as they would be seen as "those guys who ruined a franchise, and broke the stablished rules" I can see where you're coming from. But making a female a Makai Knight is not worth the risk.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
They never said that it would be a solo female protagonist, just a female protagonist, and they never said that she would be a Makai Knight. I'm assuming the female protagonist in question is Seimei, and I'm assuming that she'll have a duotagonist role next to the bearer of Garo, similar to in Makai no Hana and Gold Storm, where it's a Makai Knight and a Makai Priestess working together.

brucepuppy wrote:
It's hardly a surprise, after all Nakayama was one of Tenimyu casts, and as much as I love Tenipuri, I must admit many casts of Tenimyu only sell their pretty looks instead of real talent. Just think it as AKB48, they sell million copies of their CDs, but actually they just sell cuteness because most members have close to zero singing talent.

Let's just hope he can do better as a voice actor. Mamoru Miyano is a Tenimyu veteran too, and look at his voice acting career now.

A lot of Kamen Rider actors are also Tenimyu vets, like Shoutaro in Kamen Rider W, who was really good. Raiga was just... dull. He had potential, but it seemed they couldn't decide if he was going to be perky like his mother or deadpan like his father, and so went for a strange mix of both.
BWLJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:
^
Not really. Breaking an stablished rule is never a good thing. It would just alienate the already stablished fanbase, and they could even boycott it.
No business wants to take that risk.

The image of the staff involved with the anime would also suffer, as they would be seen as "those guys who ruined a franchise, and broke the stablished rules" I can see where you're coming from. But making a female a Makai Knight is not worth the risk.

So why can't women wear the armor again? I tried looking up and there doesn't seem to be a reason, even a bullshit one the creators would've had to have come up with at some later point when questioned by fans.

Is it like an outdated rule of the organization? Like that other rule that says the armor can only be passed down by blood relation? Because they broke that rule in the anime, and, from what I've heard, in the live action series too.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
BWLJ wrote:
So why can't women wear the armor again? I tried looking up and there doesn't seem to be a reason, even a bullshit one the creators would've had to have come up with at some later point when questioned by fans.

It came up in passing in one of the first two seasons, because Kaoru asked, and I don't remember why. However, in Zero's Duology, it's clearly shown that Soul Metal has a negative reaction to a woman.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it's clearly shown that Soul Metal has a negative reaction to a woman.

^Gee, I wonder why the writers would come up with such a rule, surely nothing to do with outdated sexist ideas, no sir.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure the reason was just that they were physically uncapable of handling Soul Metal. Basically a physiological explanation.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
It came up in passing in one of the first two seasons, because Kaoru asked, and I don't remember why. However, in Zero's Duology, it's clearly shown that Soul Metal has a negative reaction to a woman.

It never really felt like that was an issue anywhere else, just there. Hell, we see in Garo: Goldstorm spoiler[that the main villain uses Rian's body to sword fight with Garo while possessing her, and I'm pretty sure he's using his old Makai Knight sword from before he became a Horror)].

The Zero: Black Blood thing felt more like an issue for that particular girl, that she needed a psychological boost more than anything to wield that sword. spoiler[You know, her dead father's blade, which also probably weighed a metric ton].

In Garo: Makaisenki, it seemed pretty heavily implied that the whole "No female Knights" thing was just something introduced in the creating of Makai Knights because "Men are stronger than women, and we want the strongest wielding these heavy swords and wearing these heavy armors" because they started doing the whole Makai Knight thing many centuries ago. Aka, outdated thinking, since we see many strong women in the Garo series who I feel like could be badass Knights spoiler[(the main Makai Priest character in Makaisenki really hated that she wasn't allowed to become a knight)].

Also, Soul Metal negatively affects all humans. That's why Knights can only wear their armor for 66.6 seconds before going spoiler[all nightmare monster mode].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2