• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: World Trigger Anime's Sunday Airing Replaced After Real-Life Floods (Updated)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
What is with this season? We started off with the final episode of something from last season being delayed (forgot what it was, but it was whatever Drrr took the time slot for). Then there's all the God Eater delays. On the Crunchy end, Rokka has been delayed a day a few times. Gate was delayed this week.

It seems like there's tons of delays this season.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
What is with this season? We started off with the final episode of something from last season being delayed (forgot what it was, but it was whatever Drrr took the time slot for). Then there's all the God Eater delays. On the Crunchy end, Rokka has been delayed a day a few times. Gate was delayed this week.

It seems like there's tons of delays this season.

Reason Kekkai Sensen (the series you ment from last season) was delayed was because they wanted to make the last episode 1+ hours long but the time slot only allowed 30 minutes. And they couldn't do anything then since Drrr took the time slot for this season
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or is there always an anime that depicts some sort of flood right after an actual flood happens? I think this happened with Madoka as well. I know it's just a coincidence... but really?
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
Reason Kekkai Sensen (the series you ment from last season) was delayed was because they wanted to make the last episode 1+ hours long but the time slot only allowed 30 minutes. And they couldn't do anything then since Drrr took the time slot for this season

As far as I know, this started out as just a regular delay. They weren't done, so the final episode was delayed, but then the scheduling problems with Drrr happened, so they took that opportunity to indefinitely delay the episode to make it longer.

I also don't think a specific runtime was specified, just that it would exceed a 30-min slot. Near-movie length seems a bit excessive though. Why not just extend the episode count by two or three at that point?
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
DontmesswithKarma wrote:

As far as I know, this started out as just a regular delay. They weren't done, so the final episode was delayed, but then the scheduling problems with Drrr happened, so they took that opportunity to indefinitely delay the episode to make it longer.

I also don't think a specific runtime was specified, just that it would exceed a 30-min slot. Near-movie length seems a bit excessive though. Why not just extend the episode count by two or three at that point?

Yeah it was clashing but they actual delay announcment came with the comment "the team is aiming for a longer finale than the available time slot can allow"
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
Just life imitating art.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
OH come on this was going to be the best episode of the arc even!!!! Screw you anime companies!!!
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
They're right. It's too soon to be making references to the weather. Think of the children!
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
They're right. It's too soon to be making references to the weather. Think of the children!

It airs at 6.30 am as part of a children's block, and children (or more likely their parents) are sensitive. TV Ashai rely on commercials, so they probably want to avoid controversy as much as possible, especially in something that is (or airs near) children's programming.

Also, three people died with many more missing, I would have thought for sensitivity reasons alone the episode would probably have been postponed. (It certainly would have in the UK, and probably the US too.)
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Like torrential rain hasn't happened before(This).

Like sunken ships haven't happened before(Aired 1st in Pokemon, then like 16 years later it happens in real life right before another sunken ship episode).

Like Earthquakes haven't happened before(Pokemon).

Like a person killing somebody hasn't happened before(Psycho-Pass).

I could keep going back.

Not being insensitive.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I understand this for crimes (or art least the logic), but would there really be public outrage over a rain scene taking place after a flood? Are Japanese people really that sensitive or so unaware of the concept of things taking time that they would honestly think like a Naruto character doing a fire attack in this week's episode happened solely due to a fire reported a few days prior and the creators are trying to capitalize on it?
That Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Toei is not sensitive to topics then capcom with their announcement of their middle eastern character on 9/11
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
In some cases I could get being sensitive about material that hits too close to a tragic event.

But this is a fictional river, in a fictional story. Are people really going to be upset about that? This is would be like an animal rights group going after a story/game/etc that had people playing Pokemon. It's not even real within that fictional universe.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:
This is would be like an animal rights group going after a story/game/etc that had people playing Pokemon.

Boy, do I have bad news for you:

"For generations, humans have claimed to love Pokémon, but if Pokémon came to our world in real life and saw how we treat animals, would they love us back? Would they feel that Pokémon games have a part in reducing our empathy for animals? Would they feel like it's completely ridiculous that Nintendo releases two versions of essentially the same game and then has the audacity to release a slightly different version a couple of years later?" PETA, 2012.
pikabot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Depending on how far this episode gets, it might also feature spoiler[one character blowing up a floodwall and this flooding the streets]. Given that right now thousands of people are having their lives disturbed by flooding, and many more who are outside the flood zone but are worried about family and friends living within it, I don't think it's unreasonable to be a bit sensitive to the timing and put off the episode for a week.

World Trigger has had kinda bad timing with this, though, hasn't it? It earlier had to delay another episode because it fell on the same week ISIS beheaded their Japanese hostage with a knife...and the episode featured someone getting their head cut off with a knife.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2