• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So You Want To Build A Gundam Model

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
PingSoni wrote:
Thank you for writing this article, and for your website! I've had two models sitting around for a while now, that I've been hesitant to dive into putting together: an HGUC 1/144 Gundam GP01Fb 'Linkin Park Edition' and a Kotobukiya 1/12 KOS-MOS Version 1 (from the Xenosaga JRPG). I think your article will give me the nudge I need to get going with these.

Haha, I've had that Kos-mos one too. Just sitting on my shelf. Waiting to be assembled. I've got a dog and haven't built a kit since, plus that's a kit I certainly don't wanna get wrong. Nice to know others have it.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gunpla kits are designed so you could do this with your fingers if you want.

This is not true because the runner(what we call the whole gate thing with parts) designed only for certain grade like SD kit, usually made for kids so they don't need any tool to assemble.

Other grade doesn't have this design and have to use cutter to remove the part unless you want to hurt your fingers by twisting the part and ruin the gunpla parts since the runner gate is quite thick.. Confused

By the way, my 1st kit is MG 1/100 Gundam Unicorn ver Ka and it give a nightmare experience to me since that gunpla is transformable and quite complicated for beginner. Now it's already 6 years since I started collecting gunpla and now I already an experienced gunpla builder. I even paint my kits using airbrush. Smile
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
As a huge Gundam fan, I've put together a few gunpla in my life. But unlike a friend of mine, who takes it to the next level, my models are always kind of just slapped together. I usually don't even bother with the decals. I just like snapping the pieces together and looking at it. I don't paint or customize.

It's actually been a while since I've put one together. I think the last one was an Exia or a Zeta. But I don't display them anymore (mostly because they fall apart with a slight breath) I'd like to get a Unicorn or a Turn A at some point, though. I also wish I could find some support vehicles, like the Gallop or Big Tray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
Putting together a good master grade is just so satisfying. Even unpainted, it's enjoyable to see what they've been able to do over the years as to giving the kits an inner frame and very complicated moving sections on the limbs and torso, like the say the thigh plates may slide apart when bending.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
Nice article! I loved seeing this. I hope we see more like this maybe with garage kits Very Happy
Tofu92600

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
I only ever bought 1/100 scale gunpla. Loved assembling them. It's a lot of fun. With time, you get better and want to improve the basic Gunpla. I'd suggest any fan to invest into some Gundam Markers. Without going all the way to painting them, you can add some really nice touch of colors and details that doesn't come with stickers.
Just a remark about some models : some come with rubber parts (hand joints, or some parts like the Gundam 00 Exia shoulders) and over time, they just break apart. Like if you don't move them once in a while, they'd get dry or something and much more easier to break whenever you'd move them. What a shame.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
Funny that this article should come up just as I got back to my hotel with almost $100 worth of Gundam models! It would be over $100 if not for the fact that most stores in Japan actually sell Gundam models at a discount.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
While I am often guilty of it myself since I'm lazy, usually people do not recommend cutting the part off the runner so close to the gate as you are doing in your photo.

I used to build a lot of Gunpla but then I ran out of space. I think I started with about 3-5 HGs and then went to MG. Sprinkle in a few more 1/100 HGs from Gundam W and then I never got another HG again. It's all MG and PG for me. I personally like MG the best. If I had the space I would get more PGs. Totally want Unicorn. ;__; My last Gunpla was my first RG, the W-Zero Custom. Nice detail, but I was reminded that I am not fond of the 1/144 scale. Too small. 1/100 is nice.

As long as you can follow the directions I don't think it's too difficult to build MGs and PGs. You miiiiiight need to know some basic Japanese since sometimes they'll have little warnings in the diagrams, but the pictures do a good job of explaining.

I recommend using nippers to remove parts from runners and it's good to have your nails grown out a little bit. Not too long, just 1 or 2mm. I've found that my fingertips really hurt when I build Gunpla without any nails so I make a point to have them grown out slightly before I start. Also, panel lining makes a world of a difference.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Great article!

I made the mistake of not starting with any Gundam Gunpla when I made my first models--all three were from Kotobukiya's Super Robot Wars line (Valsione, Fairlion, and another whose name I've forgotten). I've only built two of them, and I'm fairly disappointed with them: they're rather flimsy (Valsione's wings fall off easily and make posing her really hard, Fairlion needs her included stand for anything), and they can't hold their weapons well. It's a pain to get them posed into anything other than the default stock-still stance.

I enjoyed building them, though. I ought to get back into building kits once I have more time/space/money for it.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quote
Cool article. My first actual Gundam model (I have a couple of the older Gundam action figures Bandai sold when the series were on Toonami) was a HG Bawoo I got 5 years ago. I have two other HG's, plus a Real Grade Justice Gundam that my friend built and later sold to me. I bought a couple more when I went to Japan earlier this year though, since they were quite cheap. I bought a HG Tallgeese not too long ago that I still need to build. I want a Master Grade, but there a bit too expensive for me at the moment. The custom painted Gundams look nice, but I have little painting skill so I don't want to risk messing my Gundams up. Maybe I'll try inking some panel lines though. Probably gonna have to get a cheap one to practice on first.

A question though, are the Master Grades really more difficult (ie having to do weird stuff with the parts, hard to attach stuff together, etc.) to put together than High Grades, or do they just take longer due to having more parts?
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:45 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:

A question though, are the Master Grades really more difficult (ie having to do weird stuff with the parts, hard to attach stuff together, etc.) to put together than High Grades, or do they just take longer due to having more parts?

It's not really that difficult to assemble MG kits, MG kit have skeleton inner frame to assemble so it's gonna take a little bit time to finish. Avoid transformable mobile suit like Gundam Zeta or Unicorn because you may break some part since you don't yet familiar with MG kits.

I suggest get simple MG kit like MG RX-78-2 ver 2.0 to start on. The price is decent and this kit can pose well
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Surprised to see an article about something not Fate related. Personally I've built at least 10 models across various lines including a Space Battleship Yamato. I'm not so huge on thr Master grades because of all the painting and higher price pointfor IMO lot a whole lot more detail and scale though.
pinder_2009

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Nice article. Makes me feel like finally build that HG Tallgeese III that I've had sitting around for two years.

The thing I've always wondered is, what do people do with these models after they've built them? I've built one model so far and it sits on my bookshelf but I can't imagine where I would put 5 or more models.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2