• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Please Save My Earth

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quote
JELEINEN wrote:
So, other than PSME, Toward the Terra and They Were Eleven (all of which I love), can anyone come up with any other similar shoujo SF shows?

While its technically josei, Jyuohsei/Juuosei/However you choose to romanize it (a.k.a. Planet of the Beast King) is sci-fi.

jsevakis wrote:
HitokiriShadow, I would check out the anime too; at least rent it. jgreen hits the nail on the head.

I'll probably get it when I get the manga. I'm waiting for a Viz sale to do so.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Please Save My Earth was one of my earliest anime titles, and (aside from the TV broadcast of Sailor Moon), my first shoujo title. Words can barely describe the delicacy and poignancy of this amazing OVA, but Justin sure did a great job. I'm ecstatic to see this title in the spotlight.

As others have said, one should see the anime and read the manga to get the full experience. I think the storytelling in the animation is worlds better than the early manga chapters; I have to admit when I first read the manga I was thrown off by the awkward humor. But the later chapters are exponentially better, and continue the beautiful, somber mood of the anime.

While the last 5 minutes of the last episode did bother me for a long time (reading the manga since has fixed that), episode 6 is far and away my favorite of the series. It's kind of an instant-tear recipe for me. I'm embarrassed to watch it in front of anybody but my closest friends, because I always end up crying. Especially the part when spoiler[Lazlo gives Shion his first taste of love and affection, and then dies].

Wonderful job this time around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Area88

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Kudos for mentioing the Korean Boxset, superior imports should always be mentioned in a column like this.

Please Save My Earth (Korean) Boxset at Yesasia
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Yay, Buried Treasure is back!

I doubt I'll be checking out the anime due to its incomplete nature, but I think I'm going to get the manga the next time a Viz sale. I've been interested in it ever since reading about it in a book on anime (I don't remember which one) and this seals the deal.

I think we must've read the same book--for some reason, this title has always stuck in my head, although I've never seen it. I want to say the book was called something like "Anime Explosion"? And it was written by Drazen-someone? I'll go see if I can find it...

And yes, I'm definately glad to see this column again. I was thinking about it this morning and wondering when we were going to get a new one. ^^

EDIT: I was right--it IS Anime Explosion!

Come to think of it, this is the book that introduced me to Miyazaki...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Anime Explosion was the book. That had some interesting stuff in it.
scortia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Ah! Back to the old golden titles of the fansub vhs generation. I think I wore those tapes out so bad because I rewatched Please Save My Earth so many times. Heck, I still watch it at least once a year and its 10 years later now. The manga really is brilliant as well... I have it all, in Japanese unfortunately, but it really is something.

The OAV ending, quite honestly, aside from the first time I watched it, I've never disliked the ending. Sure the first time I demanded a resolution but now I can appreciate how they tried to end the series by focusing on giving Shion a soul through a flashback (since they do a good job of making him seem soulless otherwise) and then by showing hope for the future. It doesn't feel as abrupt an ending as say Angel Sanctuary's OAV or RG Veda's OAV imho.

I'm still loving the column... I suppose I'm a buried treasure nerd for knowing of all the titles thus far. :p
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I've always loved PSME since I first saw it back during the VHS fansub heyday, but hadn't watched it in several years. I have the somewhat hohum Viz DVD release, but after reading Buried Treasure I went searching for the R3 Korean release and found it for only $6.95 (part of a blowout sale) at hkflix.com. It took me about 30 seconds to place the order. Normally at that price my bootleg alert alarm would have gone off, but everything seems legit and it does say that it's the R3 DVD Ani release.

PSME R3 DVD at hkflix.com
kamidai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I loved Please Save My Earth! It was one of the first anime I saw, when I saw it dubbed and broadcast on KTEH. (I miss the KTEH anime segments. They had the most amazing titles, uncut and free.) I've seen it many times now, and I always cry at the end of the sixth episode. Lazlo and Kyaa and Shion....

Oh man. Memory lane time. I think it's time for me to get some of the manga.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
I've always loved PSME since I first saw it back during the VHS fansub heyday, but hadn't watched it in several years. I have the somewhat hohum Viz DVD release, but after reading Buried Treasure I went searching for the R3 Korean release and found it for only $6.95 (part of a blowout sale) at hkflix.com. It took me about 30 seconds to place the order. Normally at that price my bootleg alert alarm would have gone off, but everything seems legit and it does say that it's the R3 DVD Ani release.

Holy... crap! It sure does look legit. (points everyone in this direction)
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh god. I'm such a PSME fan (got all 19 volumes so far). It's easily in the top 10 best manga I've ever read in my life. While the anime's good, I rather people to read the manga first (well at least to Volume 8 where pretty much Episode 5 ends at, Episode 6 was scattered moments until Vol 13, but no real spoiler).

I think the person who got a bit upset shouldn't have worried abot exposing about spoiler[Rin being Shion, it wasn't a big of a spoiler, I pretty much knew Rin was Shion when he started using his telkinetics powers when I first watched the anime before they revealed he was Shion.] So it's a somewhat a low level spoiler that won't really affect the story.

I'm kinda sad that the manga's reading, but god it's excellent depite spoiler[Hiwatari's ocassional "breaking the fourth wall" (although it does become rare in the later volumes)] and (warning: high-level spoiler) spoiler[her tendency to focus on the past too much, there's volumes devoted entirely on the scientists which I felt it was really unfair to the present recarnations, because it's supposed to really be their story. I loved the balance of drifting thru past and present she used in the earlier volumes].

But my favorite scene is that beach scene with Alice and Rin at the end of the anime where he recites that poem. It's very rare to see a scene that touching in anime, Period.

I might get the DVD because I'm such a PSME nut. Despite the episode restraints, the anime is still good and one of the best of the 90's. But I'll stress that you read some of the manga before the anime, which is really a purpose to service the PSME fans.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I am another who after watching the OAV ran out and bought the entire stack of the manga series. I believe I had to go to two bookstores to complete the collection. It was the first and to date only Hana to Yume title I own, since I tend to avoid the "pink section" (still don't own any Margaret titles) of most book stores. The series, along with Asuka's X are my favorite shojou titles. There is something about that Tokyo Tower! I don't consider Wings titles shojo.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:34 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:

Holy... crap! It sure does look legit. (points everyone in this direction)

Aw, man! I need to get a region free DVD player or something. x.x (It's frusterating how I KNOW my computer can play any region, but I have to 'choose' one. I'm sure there's some legal reason, but it just seems weird.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vikio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:30 am Reply with quote
Just in case everyone else didn't say it enough: I LOVE "Please Save My Earth"!
I saw the OVA about four years ago, and have been wanting to know the whole story since then. I was finally able to read the whole manga a few months ago! People here were saying they were put off by how long the manga is, but trust me, I went throught it in all-night marathons, it was that good. I would find myself all teary-eyed at 5AM starting yet another chapter. And there were spots I kept re-reading over and over...like the end. It's rare for a Japanese story to have an ending that leaves you satisfied. You know I'm right...anime has lots of great points, but conclusive endings are not one of them. And of course after reading the whole thing, I dug up the OVA and re-watched it, and it made SO much more sense. It's really not meant for people who've got no idea of what happens later.

This one is definitely a gem.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:21 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Aw, man! I need to get a region free DVD player or something. x.x (It's frusterating how I KNOW my computer can play any region, but I have to 'choose' one. I'm sure there's some legal reason, but it just seems weird.)

Use VLC. It's free, and no choice required.
Pyoko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote
I wanted to comment on this part:
Quote:
Even more unfortunately, the anime industry has only recently started getting good at saving important materials such as film negatives (now that they barely even use film), so chances are the existing video masters are as good as we're ever going to get for pretty much anything that never got a theatrical release (and even some shows that did). As everybody moves on to HDTV, the disparity is going to become more and more obvious.

This is simply not true at all. There are plenty of TV series and OAVs, some dating as far back as the early '70s, that have been remastered from original film elements, using digital/component connections throughout the entire process. Several of them have also had HD masters made. I have compiled a list of the ones I know of released on R2 DVD here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3