• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
domino wrote:
I watched Uta no Prince-sama on niconico.com's official stream. It's a 2/5 show that magically turns into a 4/5 show the second you enable the niconico comments. That site is amazing.

I'll definitely keep watching it in all of its cheesy glory for the amusing commentary.

THIS.

I see the appeal of the Japanese site now. Though I see the comments working mostly for shows that aren't good. I'm not planning on watching Blood-C with comments on for example, since it looks quite promising. At least, not the first time around.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:07 am Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:
It's seems possible we may have a number of delayed (non-)simulcasts this season.

NicoNico has hidden temp pages setup for the following beyond what they've already announced:

Morita-san wa Mukuchi
Kamisama no Memochou
Baka to Test 2
Ikoku Meiro no Croisée
Pretty Rhythm: Aurora Dream
Yuruyuri
Kamisama Dolls

Crunchyroll already got Natsume's Book of Friends 3, Yuruyuri, Kamisama Dolls, Sacred Seven, and looks like they may get Usagi Drop as well as 6 more yet-to-be-announced (prospective series including the ones NicoNico has temp pages for). It's possible that because NicoNico is also doing simulcasts, the additional competition may have made acquiring streaming rights take longer than expected for both companies. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks, but I wouldn't be surprised if a number of the already aired stuff gets picked-up.

Just so you know, the list happens to be exactly the series that Nicodouga.co.jp (the japanese nico) is streaming.

Since the services use the same back end, those pages are probably from the Japanese side.
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
Makes sense, thanks for the heads up. I didn't see anything from that list on nicovideo.jp's anime channel yesterday, so I wasn't sure (must have been hidden, since a couple from that list, Uta Prince & Yuruyuri, appeared today). Guess we'll need to wait till some future season for them to potentially decide to subtitle everything they are streaming on nicovideo.jp.

Last edited by cyberbeing on Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:45 am Reply with quote
Zac's review on Twin Angel Twinkle Paradise cracked me up. The name, for one, sounds absolutely ridiculous and after reading his review I'm giving it a big N-O on watching it. I like cute shows but this sounds like an overly sweet cotton candy show that will make all your teeth rot and fall out while you scream "OMFG, I am having rainbow seizures!".

Oh and the bunny picture: epic. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:45 am Reply with quote
-lol-@Zac

I love reading your reviews every season, I really do... but come on.

Out of all the series that have aired thus far, as your first one, you chose to review one that you absolutely knew you'd hate.

That's some dedication to the season previews.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:
Makes sense, thanks for the heads up. I only saw a few of that list on the jp side's anime channel yesterday, so I wasn't sure. Guess we'll need to wait till some future season for them to potentially decide to subtitle everything they are streaming on the jp side.

It's not that simple from a rights issue, as you may expect.

The rights holders for many of these shows are different for the domestic and international licenses.
It's not so easy for dwango to just go to the same people they license the domestic streaming from and go "can we have international rights, too?" because they'll get told "go talk to XXX".

The TV Tokyo shows are a perfect example of this. TV Tokyo themselves hold the domestic rights (I think), while TV Tokyo Medianet (which is a fully owned subsidary of TV Tokyo) controls the western and asian rights.
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote
I'm probably the only one who liked Uta no Prince-Sama. I fit into the whole screaming fangirl demographic.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:41 am Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
domino wrote:
I watched Uta no Prince-sama on niconico.com's official stream. It's a 2/5 show that magically turns into a 4/5 show the second you enable the niconico comments. That site is amazing.

I'll definitely keep watching it in all of its cheesy glory for the amusing commentary.

THIS.

I see the appeal of the Japanese site now. Though I see the comments working mostly for shows that aren't good. I'm not planning on watching Blood-C with comments on for example, since it looks quite promising. At least, not the first time around.

Hahaha, like that one time [AS] put mustaches all over a Witch Hunter Robin episode for April Fool's Day. Laughing
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:09 am Reply with quote
That bunny photo is hilarious.

I tried watching a bit of Ikoku Meiro no Croisée, but even without subtitles I can tell it's not for me. The show is trying way, way too hard to be cute, and it's really off-putting.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:13 am Reply with quote
I didn't have much interest in Twin Angel mainly with so much stuff to watch, but now it seems like I should check out it. I need to check out Ikoku Meiro no Croisée tonight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
I had seen the opening for the Twin Angel OAV before and even that was pretty painful to me (and I can usually stomach some of the more male-aimed magical girl shows) so it made my soul hurt a little when i found out they made a TV series of it too..guess I know to just steer clear of it all together. wasn't this the only magical girl show this season? *sigh*
Zac's bunny picture is still adorable though. <3

anyway, looks like I need to check out Ikoku Meiro no Croisée, I saw the little promo they did for it and once I saw Yune and that it was set in france, I think it was instant love.

also want to see how long I can stomach Uta no Prince-sama.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:52 am Reply with quote
Mr. Bertschy's reviews in a nutshell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG2KMkQLZmI
If I remember correctly, Twin Angel was based off a pachinko game, and you know those are bastions of creativity. I just want to know how came up with the name Kyun Kyun Tokimeki Paradise became Twinkle Paradise, and I would like to punch the person that named it that. In the face. Jesus, that's horrible.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Mr. Bertschy's reviews in a nutshell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG2KMkQLZmI
If I remember correctly, Twin Angel was based off a pachinko game, and you know those are bastions of creativity. I just want to know how came up with the name Kyun Kyun Tokimeki Paradise became Twinkle Paradise, and I would like to punch the person that named it that. In the face. Jesus, that's horrible.

The creators of the show did.

In fact, it's had a fully english version of its website for months...

Just consider it the official english name, and not a "translation" of the Japanese title.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:

NicoNico has hidden temp pages setup for the following beyond what they've already announced:

Morita-san wa Mukuchi
Kamisama no Memochou
Baka to Test 2
Ikoku Meiro no Croisée
Pretty Rhythm: Aurora Dream
Yuruyuri
Kamisama Dolls

So what URL's are used to access these pages?
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
So what URL's are used to access these pages?

Doesn't really matter now, since samuelp confirmed those will only be available on nicovideo.jp for Japanese region viewers, not the English region front-end niconico.com. There was nothing to see anyway, since I doubt you would find empty placeholder pages very exciting. I'll go back and edit that post so more people don't get confused.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 30