• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
It's useless as wank material for obvious censorship reasons

For those interested, rumour has it that an uncensored version will air on the 25th.

On one hand, there is a spirit of morbid, perverse curiosity in me that wants to see this, on the other hand, I don't want to feel like I have to apologize personally to every woman I meet or perhaps just castrate myself.

just close the blinds, hide the file and do an OS reinstall after doing it.. hell man I want to see it to but eh then again I have watched worse h-ovas

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:54 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

1. are you pretending or honestly do not understand? the brand is irrelevant (i never mentioned it); the fact of smoking is bad in itself...
2. Yumi Unita does not seem to have talent to create drawing style (why you try to expand the scope of discussion into mangaka talent in general?)...
3. the premise still is about average thirty year man... there is nothing supposed to be eccentric about this character, but he still is with facial expressions that very atypical for situation and Japanese culture... however, this is minor issue, so no point in over-argue about it...

Not the most timely response but I'll bite.
1. Brand might be irrelevant but context and execution are not. Smoking in Usagi Drop is paint as being something a person should not do around children and as a habit that one should try to quit. Being bad in and of itself is not a reason to exclude it from being depicted.
2. It seems she already has defined a style for her series so /shrug.
3. I don't really know what sort of facial expressions a typical Japanese man would make in the situations Daikichi goes through. I do find the expressions Daikichi makes fit his situations.

1. this is good direction; agree...
2. yes, she has defined it, but the originality of style in drawing characters is achieved by lowering mouths below any proportionally/harmonic level... artists who have talent in creation of drawing style (obviously, there is no way to deny Usagi Drop's author of overall talent of mangaka... i personally can not find lacks in her storytelling or drawing, except for the style...), go original without making characters ugly... for example, take Steins;Gate... character design there has the style (whether it is tiny girl or big man, you can trace the style distinctly), but it is achieved with grace that did not require making characters ugly like in Usagi Drop and House of Five Leaves (there mouths ever more extreme below any harmony) or Kekkaishi and Aoi No Exorcist (where noses are cut as if all characters went through late stages of syphilis or were subject to medieval punishment measure for some committed crime)...
3. more typical Japanese face expressions are constrained...
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote
skipping over the last chapter of the last volume of Bunny Drop, which was released last Friday, it seems that spoiler[they don't get married, but Rin does confess to Daikichi, without him giving a clear answer ... actually Rin's feelings for him seem to be a major part of the second half of the series ... it's not just "the ending" ^^;]

The author also states that Bunny Drop was at first supposed to be a 1 volume series, so most likely the ending wasn't planned from the beginning. We'll see, if the anime adapts the first part only, so people who mind can just pretend that the second part of the manga doesn't exist ^^

And there's still the side stories to come ...
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

Sorry but your lack of appreciation for certain styles is all a personal thing and does not say anything in regards to those artists' talent at making a style for their work.

As for Japanese facial expressions being typically constrained. Looks more like you are trying to superimpose the public image some real Japanese exude over private, casual lives as well. That's stereotyping and doesn't work for every situation. Daikichi isn't some random train passenger on his way to work. He is the main character of a story that centers around with a mix of situations where deadpan expressions would not work for the character.
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
While I don't plan on watching Mayu Hiken-chou anytime soon, I'd like to point something out from Carl's review.

Quote:
This idea would never have flown had it involved men and penises instead of women and breasts—a fact that leaves perhaps the foulest taste of all.

Somebody actually made such a comic book. Well, it's about orcs, not humans. But it still depicts a society were an individual's genitals are his most prized posession, and can be stolen by others to be used as currency (no, really). It's called Orc Stain, and it's pretty graphic.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Sorry but your lack of appreciation for certain styles is all a personal thing and does not say anything in regards to those artists' talent at making a style for their work.

i was concrete with problem of art style of Usagi Drop, House of Five Leaves, Kekkaishi and Aoi No Exorcist, so there is no way to move these concerns to purely taste/appreciation area... this is well defined problem...

Quote:
As for Japanese facial expressions being typically constrained. Looks more like you are trying to superimpose the public image some real Japanese exude over private, casual lives as well. That's stereotyping and doesn't work for every situation. Daikichi isn't some random train passenger on his way to work. He is the main character of a story that centers around with a mix of situations where deadpan expressions would not work for the character.

i am not trying superimpose anything, this is just fact of Japanese life, that emotions are constrained most of the time even within families... the first scene in Usagi Drop of family gathering is fine example of this, with people reacting to what happens in traditional way, without making any weird facial expressions... but not main hero...

and, of course, it is understandable why mangaka would not want to portray more realistic protagonist's emotions expression manner... it would be boring and not interesting... what i mentioned, however, is that this gimmick contradicts to preamble of the story and going this way is easy route to do otherwise "realistic", "slice of life" manga... but, again, this is smaller issue...
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
The words ugly and bad are just subjective descriptions of taste.
The mouths in Usagi Drop are lower than other mouths in anime, true enough. But going the style of Usagi Drop is ugly because their mouths are too low is just a matter of opinion even when paired with a fact.

Suggesting that a typical Japanese man would keep a deadpan facade when faced with the situations around Daikchi is absurd stereotyping by treating Japanese men as some uniform group that must all act a certain way. There is no manual of how a Japanese man should move his face and there are men that will use their face as tools of expression.

If you don't have anything to say that is more than basically "I think it therefore it's fact." we have no reason to clog up this thread with your immovable opinion/truth.
Goodluck with your stereotyping.
Etrien

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
i am not trying superimpose anything, this is just fact of Japanese life, that emotions are constrained most of the time even within families...

へえ、マジ? I'm not sure what families you've been spending time with, but I've gotta politely disagree with this statement. I'll give you that on a case by case basis, a Japanese person might be marginally more reserved than a westerner. But marginal is all it is. To assume that universally applies to all times and places really is just ridiculous stereotyping.

If you've ever seen a Japanese game show - pretty much any - then you've also seen the (admittedly goofy) huge, loud reactions the contestants and staff give. That isn't just TV. If you spend time with people in a casual situation, you can expect all kinds of loud outbursts, contorted facial expressions and animated gestures. Honestly, the shows of emotion I see from the Japanese are often much more dynamic and emphasized than what I see from foreigners.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Curious thing about Dantalian previews... Rebecca's praising the visuals, while Theron appropriately notes their mediocrity. Admittedly, the show could be considered good-looking 5 years ago, but I just don't see how the animation can be called "gorgeous" in this day and age, when you put it next to stuff like Penguindrum, Sacred 7, No.6, Idolmaster etc. from this season. It looks mediocre bordering on ugly - and I realize some of this may be subjective, but the lack of detail in character drawings, especially with zoomed-out camera shouldn't even exist.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
but the lack of detail in character drawings, especially with zoomed-out camera shouldn't even exist.

A lot of shows even today are animated much worse (last season's Aria was really bad and right now Manyu and Dark Rabbit aren't really what you would call well animated f.ex.). Dantalian for now is at least above average (it's Gainax after all), but the first episodes in any series usually look better than the rest. It's during the middle part that you can see the real quality of a show.

In general, most anime series actually aren't very well animated (even if a lot is improved for the DVD / BD releases as compared to the TV broadcast), but in recent years, computer graphic has helped a lot to add more movements, and sparkles ("magic circles", fire, explosions...).
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote
^ Well, I know all of that, I was just commenting on how you can't really call that "gorgeous". The backgrounds look good enough to make it passable (i.e. not ugly), but it's hardly anything to praise. I'd say the show's around "average" since there's roughly as many better-looking shows as there are worse-looking shows this season. I think a lot of Gainax praise is a bit overblown.

CG is a bit of a double-edged sword. Yes, you can get great visual flourishes, and it makes certain high-budget title really shine. On the other hand, it also seems to encourage laziness/hackjobs, as a lot of the time it's quantity over quality. Back when CG was less prominent, artists tried to make up for poor animation with increased attention to detail - something that's lamentably rare these days.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
I'd say the show's around "average" since there's roughly as many better-looking shows as there are worse-looking shows this season.

This season, I think you're right. But this season also does have much more well animated shows than usually. Last season Dantalian (ep 1) would have been among the best.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Ausdoerrt wrote:
I'd say the show's around "average" since there's roughly as many better-looking shows as there are worse-looking shows this season.

This season, I think you're right. But this season also does have much more well animated shows than usually. Last season Dantalian (ep 1) would have been among the best.

Maybe I need my eyes checked but Dantalian is in my top 5 of best looking and animated new shows this season.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:59 am Reply with quote
^ Let's see: Penguindrum, Croisee, Sacred 7, No.6, Usagi Drop (when it isn't doing the pastel thing). That's 5 already that I'd say Dantalian would be difficult to compare to. Apleseed will likely be good-looking too, and I'm sure there's another one or two shows that'd beat Dantalian in terms of visual quality. I might be just a bit biased, because animation with mismatched background and character drawing styles (so that characters appear "floating" on backgrounds) is a personal pet peeve of mine. I'd say Dantalian is Blood-C quality with slightly more fluid non-combat animations, but without CLAMP level of artistry.

Quote:

You do have a point - if not among the best (I can still name 5 better-looking shows), then at least above average. Though tbh, I didn't watch enough series last season to compare - and those on the low-end of plot quality tend to have low-end visuals, as well. Then again, it'd probably shrivel and die in comparison to the then-ongoing GOSICK. As one of the previewers mentioned, comparisons to that show are still rubbing off on Dantalian unfavorably.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:49 am Reply with quote
Floating now. Well I guess if I dispute that there will be another round of techno jargon to deal with. My 5 are not quite your 5. I don't have any jargon to back my opinion though, so you win.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 30