• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Idol Fined 650,000 Yen for Dating Contract Violation

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
americananimotk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
"Discovering romantic relations damages the image of idols. To gain the support of male fans, clauses banning romantic relations are necessary." - Akitomo Kojima

my response: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0WCMXNZYR8
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
americananimotk wrote:
"Discovering romantic relations damages the image of idols. To gain the support of male fans, clauses banning romantic relations are necessary." - Akitomo Kojima

I agree, and an idol in a healthy romantic relationship whither it being dating or marriage could be great for their image and also make them into a bit of a role model for teenagers and kids.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
americananimotk wrote:

I mean...isn't it true though? This article links examples of what happens when that image is tarnished, and there are surely more examples than just those. It's just the way things are it seems.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

I agree, and an idol in a healthy romantic relationship whither it being dating or marriage could be great for their image and also make them into a bit of a role model for teenagers and kids.

First you have to find a profitable market looking for that sort of thing.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

First you have to find a profitable market looking for that sort of thing.

If you were talking with those at Marvel Comics, they'd tell you that no one is really interested in characters (end of the day, that's what an idol seems like to me) that are married/in long-term committed relationships.

It's stereotypical of many works of fiction, and (sadly) seems fitting for idol otaku..."the only interesting part is the chase".
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote
It sounds like the judge is a fan of idol singers. It's one thing to indicate that she breached her contract, but it's another to say that dating men damages the images of idols. That's something a fan would say.

H. Guderian wrote:
Also how would all the moral puritans across the world feel if Japan had 15-year-old idols and -didn't- tell their high schoolers to not date. "Japan is hoisting children onto stage and sing." In fact, I'm more wary of what a company has in mind that won't bar a young celebrity from dating fans.

I'm really not sure where the problem is. Teenagers go on dates all the time. Celebrity teenagers in the United States are no different. No one makes a big stink over it all.

AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
I for one sure in well would not let any of my kids (when when they were 13) part of this terrible industry. And as a parent would never sign away my kids right's to be a kid.

Unfortunately, there are parents who have such disregard for their children's freedom and happiness. Michael Jackson's father, for one.

Andrew Cunningham wrote:
She may have had a pretty sound legal argument that those clauses in her contract were not legal in Japan, and possibly could win on appeal.

It'd be interesting to see her challenge these guys in court under that, though I think her confidence has been shaken tremendously as a judge ruled against her. Such a case could also destroy the idol business from the inside. We, looking from afar, would probably welcome that, but she'd make a lot of enemies in her own country.

zunderdog24 wrote:
Feel free to look up the definition of "Idol" anytime guys.

noun
an image or representation of a god used as an object of worship.
• a person or thing that is greatly admired, loved, or revered.

I don't see what's relevant about that and dating.

Arale Kurashiki wrote:
i wouldn't doubt for a second that parents would push their children into this kind of thing for the sake of $$$

Fame too.

Something you don't hear much about Asian parents (and rarely brought up in Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother) is that, particularly among mothers, they frequently brag to other parents about their children's accomplishments. I saw it growing up all the time and continue to see it now. There was one mother at my middle school who not only bragged about her son, but pressured other parents into admitting inferiority. ("My son does X. Does your child do X?" She was hated by other parents, but that only drove her to yell harder.) Such an attitude could drive particularly competitive-minded parents into throwing their kids into things for the prestige and so they can brag back. Granted, not all Asian parents do this, and there are lots of non-Asian parents who like to show off their superchildren, but I'd say there's a significant chance this poor girl got thrust into an idol system because her parents wanted to be associated with someone famous.

Heck, when I was very young, my father threw me into some of these things too. I was too little to understand why he'd whisk me from piano lessons at 5 years old to swimming lessons to spelling competitions at his friends' restaurants to poetry contests, knowing he'd spend a bunch of money but not gain a penny out of it. In hindsight, I realize he did it to boast to others about how advanced and multitalented I was. Never anything as big as an idol program, of course (he'd always read the contracts and had pretty strong opinions on if an organization, company, or business was crooked, hence why he hated it every time my schools would force us into World's Finest chocolate bar fundraisers).

NiPah wrote:
Again it may come from lack of knowledge on my part, I really hope situations like this aren't rampant in the U.S., then again I've seen minimum wage jobs enforce antiscalping clauses (fines if you join a similar job within a certain mile radius) so it wouldn't be surprising to me.

Those rules are easily contested in court and shouldn't be taken seriously anyway. Amy's Baking Company had such a rule in its contract for any new hires (that they were not allowed to work in any restaurant in Scottsdale, AZ once they leave employment at Amy's Baking Company); people who were fired from Amy's routinely just ignored that rule, whose numbers are in the hundreds.

Or is it on a case-by-case basis? The one for Amy's was pretty sweeping and general.

Megiddo wrote:
So you're going to vilify the main reason that the idol industry exists in the first place? You realize that without these otaku that the idol industry would quickly fold, right? The industry caters to those otaku for that reason.

I do realize that, and I would like to see the idol industry quickly fold.

Kai99 wrote:
To think that this fifteen year old girl knew fully of what she was getting into is unrealistic. Many young girls dream of becoming famous without truly understanding what that may take. Reading on here how people assume she knew the dark sides of the industry is utterly laughable. She, like many other young girls who wish for fame, probably thought of only the good side without thinking of the negatives. Her not realizing the consequences of her actions makes sense due to her age. To dismiss her age is dismissing her natural short comings. There is a reason why there are so many videos of teenagers doing stupid, dangerous things. They do things without fully thinking of the consequences.

That paragraph made me think of that trend where young people pour oil onto themselves, then light themselves on fire. I don't think any of them thought much about the negative side of things..or they were peer-pressured to doing something brave. They just want their 30 seconds of YouTube fame and will recklessly endanger their lives to do it.

Actar wrote:
Using your analogy, it's more like a student started partying after she got admitted into a first-rate college and wonder why she's failing all her classes and eventually expelled. If you want to party, feel free to drop out. Otherwise, you've got to study. That's the point of going to college.

Well, partying doesn't necessarily mean bad grades and expulsion. A student can do a lot of partying but still pass and graduate.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
They don't just "stop supporting" them. They turn on them, often rather viciously. They feel *entitled*, as if the idol is in a relationship with *them*, which leads to feelings of jealousy and betrayal. The whole relationship is built on irrationality and delusion, which is explicitly encouraged by those who control the "entertainment" industry over there.

The managers, promotors, executives, and such WANT to have raving psychopaths for their audiences? That sounds dangerous.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:47 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

noun

Well think of it this way. I'm a Catholic, but do you think Catholicisum would be that great if it was ever revealed that Jesus was caught shagging Mary Magdeline? Wink

I don't know how often this situation has happened in the idol business, but I'm guessing she's now the equivalant of having her head on a stake on a bridge for all the other girls under a contract to see of what will happen should they let their hormones get the better of them. Wink
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
zunderdog24 wrote:
Feel free to look up the definition of "Idol" anytime guys.

noun

Those are the wrong kinds of idols for this discussion.
This article about idol anime by Nick Creamer explains the difference fairly well, I think.

That article also gives a much more positive view of idol culture.
Since most of what I know, or think that I know, about idols comes from what I read here it is refreshing to get a different perspective.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Some interesting comments by other people:

• Some legal scholars are arguing that "chastity clauses" may be illegal under Japan Labor Standards law:

Labor contracts, like all contracts, are predicated on the assumption of agreement between two parties. But that does not mean that anything goes when it comes to their provisions. Four conditions must all be met to legitimize each and every term of a contract: kakuteisei (determinacy), jitsugen kanōsei (achievability), tekihōsei (legality) and shakaiteki datōsei (social justification).

It is the fourth, shakaiteki datōsei , that concerns us in the AKB48 case. This concept entails general ideals of morality and justice, specifically kōjo ryōzoku (public order and morality), a crucial and broadly ranging legal principle enshrined in Article 90 of the Civil Code.

Contract terms that violate kōjo ryōzoku are invalid. Textbook examples include: paying for a crime; terms that violate fundamental human rights, such as gender bias; terms that restrict individual freedom; and those that violate social morals such as human trafficking, prostitution or geisha provisions. While traditional geisha exist within the scope of the law, asking an employee to “entertain” a client does not.

• Since illegal contract clauses are not enforceable (Japan labor law), my guess is that this decision is illegal. If I was the family, I would contest the ruling and not pay.

Now, the real culprits here are the men who "invited" this 15 years-old girl in a hotel room (child abuse) and the management company for their shady practices and child exploitation.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Like I've said before those clauses are not legal and are constituting human rights violations, it's time to put these managers and other members of upper tier of these agencies on trial (with judges and lawyer not tied to the industry in any way and with favors/bribes strictly forbidden) and give them the maximum sentence upon conviction and after that make the clauses highly punishable by Japanese law.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Like I've said before those clauses are not legal and are constituting human rights violations, it's time to put these managers and other members of upper tier of these agencies on trial (with judges and lawyer not tied to the industry in any way and with favors/bribes strictly forbidden) and give them the maximum sentence upon conviction and after that make the clauses highly punishable by Japanese law.

I was going to say that the Japanese judge disagrees with you, but I realize that wouldn't matter to you since you already have your favor/bribery arguments ready.

But, those clauses are legal and they don't violate human rights. These human rights accusations are an insult to 'real' human rights violations. These clauses are used all over the world, and in our country. Saying this is a human rights violation is akin to a teenage boy crying foul when his parents won't buy him an iPhone.

The judge understood exactly what an idol is and what is considered important to the industry and its actual audience. Just because he disagrees with you doesn't mean he is receiving favors or bribes.

Also if you are going on a criminal justice rampage, then you should start with our country first and cleanse it of all evil, before eyeing others. After all, "first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
These human rights accusations are an insult to 'real' human rights violations.

I completely agree with that.
Unfortunately it happens quite often in the forums that people trivialize serious problems by making these comparisons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

I was going to say that the Japanese judge disagrees with you, but I realize that wouldn't matter to you since you already have your favor/bribery arguments ready.

But, those clauses are legal and they don't violate human rights. These human rights accusations are an insult to 'real' human rights violations. These clauses are used all over the world, and in our country. Saying this is a human rights violation is akin to a teenage boy crying foul when his parents won't buy him an iPhone.

The judge understood exactly what an idol is and what is considered important to the industry and its actual audience. Just because he disagrees with you doesn't mean he is receiving favors or bribes.

Also if you are going on a criminal justice rampage, then you should start with our country first and cleanse it of all evil, before eyeing others. After all, "first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Actually the favor/bribery stipulation does not have anything to do with the judge in this case, he just wasn't impartial which resulted in the injustice we see here where an idol who's under 20 much less 18 got fined over $5000, it's meant for when the managers and other higher ups are sent to trial because I know that they will bribe the judge presiding over their cases for lesser charges or not guilty instead of facing justice for their tyranny like an adult.

Yes, they are illegal and do violate human rights although I do agree they are used elsewhere and also need to banned in those places as well (including the US) and managers and such to be tried, convicted, and sentenced if necessary.
soul.assassin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes Given some of the comments here, predictably a case of why one culture sees itself as morally-superior over another.

A contract is still a contract, and in that country, anyone who signs the dotted line knows that he or she is entering an agreement where they have read the rules of the game. If their personality goes against the contract, or actively chafe at it by complaining loudly why he or she can't date, they effectively void it. If they want a romantic relationship while being an entertainer in that vein, they should find another talent agency who allows such relationships, or go indie. Even then, in Japan, reputation is everything.

Onto the opposite end of the spectrum, I roll my eyes whenever an entertainment personality -- paid a thousand times a month more than an average idol would get in a year or even a decade -- in the West shows off his or her blingy possessions on social media, or run into trouble with the law for being drunk and disorderly or causing a public disturbance.

Or for that matter, people doing stupid things on Youtube for the sake of attention-farming and sick entertainment.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
Article contrasting this story with what happens with Johnny's idols (but appears to miss the sexism of more acceptance of a male idol marrying a "civilian" than a female idol marrying marrying a "civilian"):

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/09/26/national/media-national/working-politics-idol-marriage/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12