• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Licenses The Asterisk War Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
It's the little details that make me love some shows even before seeing them: Claudia has swords of different colors. I love that.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
While they still look good and overall attractive, A-1's character designs across nearly all of their shows the last few years have developed too much of a same-y feel to them (somewhere between Kantoku and Shingo Adachi's style), regardless of the original or animation character designer. I don't think they can get away with it like Studio Ghibli can, as theirs is more distinctive and less typical of the genre than A-1's, which are more the opposite.

All that aside, wow, that staff listing is incredibly good! Beyond Seto (not too sure), that is a lot of fine talent in the mix.

That aside, wow…that concept sounds awfully familiar (like its title… Laughing ). It doesn't look terribly original or enthralling, either (the animation quality in the trailer is a little worrisome, as well). I'm cautiously looking forward to it, at least for the first episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex usa always get the popular light novel adaptation anime like sao, monogatiri, oreim, mahouka. The male and female lead in this one are kind of different. The MC actually fight back from girls' attacks. And the main girl thanks the MC before she attack him for peeking.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Aniplex usa always get the popular light novel adaptation anime like sao, monogatiri, oreim, mahouka. The male and female lead in this one are kind of different. The MC actually fight back from girls' attacks. And the main girl thanks the MC before she attack him for peeking.

Wow, what a change from the standard harem/love triangle series.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Having understood that Aniplex seems to only dub shows that they think are highly popular, it'll be ages before The Asterisk War has an English version...if ever.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Having understood that Aniplex seems to only dub shows that they think are highly popular, it'll be ages before The Asterisk War has an English version...if ever.

That makes me sad Sad I'd pay whatever they want to charge for the LE's if they release it with a dub.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I kind of resent the fact that a lot of people lump all Light Novels together like that, to be honest. That's like saying, "Yeah, A-1 and Aniplex getting together to make an anime... that is so weird, I never thought such a thing would happen..." It's extremely vague and meaningless. Not all light novels are created equal, just like any other format or medium of entertainment. Wink

You're acting like A-1 gets to choose the series they animate. They don't. We have a production committee that almost certainly includes the LN publisher picking the animation studio that did an amazing job with another LN based fantasy / sword fighting anime adaption. It is so totally weird that doing a really good job the first time would make you a popular choice for something requiring similar visuals...

And I resent the fact that you're trying to preach about LN when your first paragraph makes it seem like you haven't even read that many.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I can see why people are saying this is going to be a typical high school-battle-harem show. Will give this one a chance, and nice to know that it is licensed.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I would have rather sentai got this. Its a show that I want, but its def. not a show like SAO or Monogatari or even Mahouka that I can imagine anyone spending AoA money on.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Eigengrau wrote:
For a moment I misread that title and now I am disappointed in the lack of Gaul villages fighting off Roman occupation.

When they first announced the series in April, I was disappointed it wasn't related to Bravely Default.

Anyway, I'm glad that they're giving it to Crunchy, because I've been wanting to see this since they announced it back in April. The trailer looked very interesting, gave off a very Chrome Shelled Regios-vibe to it, and I loved Regios.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I would have rather sentai got this. Its a show that I want, but its def. not a show like SAO or Monogatari or even Mahouka that I can imagine anyone spending AoA money on.

It's IS. Maybe it should be sentai. You can argue it is similar Mahouka anime.
K-Anime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Cool, future DVD/Blu-rays coming. Reading the Manga version & I love Claudia.

Looking forward to this series for the Fall 2015 season. Along with others like:
1. The Testament of Sister New Devil Burst
2. AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon"
3. Ore ga Ojou-sama Gakkou ni "Shomin Sample" Toshite Gets♥Sareta Ken
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
You're acting like A-1 gets to choose the series they animate. They don't. We have a production committee that almost certainly includes the LN publisher picking the animation studio that did an amazing job with another LN based fantasy / sword fighting anime adaption. It is so totally weird that doing a really good job the first time would make you a popular choice for something requiring similar visuals...

Aniplex has a massive amount of sway on any production they are involved with, and they tend to have a relatively discerning group picking the shows they want their subsidiary, A-1 Pictures, to animate. This just didn't seem like something they would pick... hence my original comment. I'm curious where it's going to go and why they picked it, that's all.

Quote:
And I resent the fact that you're trying to preach about LN when your first paragraph makes it seem like you haven't even read that many.

You seem a little too butthurt by my comment. I was just expressing my frustration with generalizations on an entire format of entertainment like that. In my experience, generalizations are a pretty good indication that someone lacks knowledge of a subject matter, not the other way around.

Here are some Light Novels that I recommend:
SNAFU
Baccano!
Durarara!!
Shinsekai Yori
Katanagatari
Fate/Zero
Mimizuku and the King of Night
Gekkou
HakoMari
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
For those wondering if this is just an ad anime to boost light novel sales and or don't know how business works in anime production, read this from someone who's been in the anime scene for a long time, and is credible, was in the middle of telling off a person for thinking the studio shouldn't have taken a break for GATE to air in order to boost sales(edited out swearing):

Quote:
What makes your ignorance even worse is that this isn't even Produced in any way by the Publishing company, which is when there's a vested interest in boosting published version sales. Like all the stuff Produced by Kadokawa which is one of the top three Publishing Houses in Japan AND one of the top two Anime Producers in Japan. This is done by Genco and A-1 Pictures (which is owned by Aniplex, which is owned by Sony). To put it simply, a Producer and Studio got (bought) the copyright license to adapt, from the Publisher, for a story that's currently very popular, then basically fudge you, we only care about our anime sales, because we just dumped millions into making this and we don't see anything from published version sales.

And another quote from him about Overlord:

Quote:
Little tip, that's a hugely ignorant misconception. Anime only intentionally try or go out of their way to advertise the main source when among the Producers are the Publishing houses. Like for example Kadokawa, which is among the top 3 Publishing houses in Japan and among the top 2 anime Producers in Japan. Madhouse is not only a studio it is also a strong Producer as well, like J.C.Staff. When the Producer and Studio have no ties to the Publishing house they see no profits from the main source sales so they have absolutely no interest in advertising it. Simply put, often times it's just buying the rights to adapt a popular story, then it's pretty much fudge you, we're only interested in selling the anime we dumped millions into making.

IMO, anything A-1 or Aniplex have a hand in will end up with a least professional animation in it. Even if the story sucks or whatever, hey, at least it will look good to watch.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Aniplex has a massive amount of sway on any production they are involved with, and they tend to have a relatively discerning group picking the shows they want their subsidiary, A-1 Pictures, to animate. This just didn't seem like something they would pick... hence my original comment. I'm curious where it's going to go and why they picked it, that's all.

Again, a group involved in the production of another sword swinging LN adaption picking the animation studio that did a bang up job with another one recently is surprising to you? Really?

relyat08 wrote:
You seem a little too butthurt by my comment.

Funny, that was my thought exactly after your earlier reply. My 'resentment' was sarcastic because I felt you were just being silly. Since you felt the need to elaborate even further on that point, I'm guessing yours wasn't.

You're just assuming I'm generalizing LN into a single category anyway. If you would have actually thought about the animation involved in that versus this, you would have realized that it isn't just that they're both LNs, but that they're both sword fighting LNs (with a bit of gunplay thrown in) which means the action scenes will be somewhat similar. I just didn't feel the need to spell everything out as I figured that was incredibly obvious given the character art in the article. That is why I was hinting at SAO specifically which at least SpacemanHardy got.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3